iPad Pro cover leak shows opening for rumored new Smart Connector location

Posted:
in iPad
A supposed leak has surfaced, showing a new case allegedly designed for refreshed iPad Pro models, with the internal shots of the plain case appearing to have a new cut-out on one side that could be used for the rumored relocated Smart Connector.

Via Slashleaks
Via Slashleaks

Two similar photographs published by Slashleaks show a large rear cover, most likely produced from plastic, that contains all of the openings on the edges for the assorted buttons and other elements that appear on the sides of an iPad. Along with the other holes is an extra opening, located near to where the Lightning port at the base.

The oval opening isn't explained in the leak, but its shape, size, and position appears to line up with an earlier leaked CAD image from July. The supposed render of the refreshed iPad Pro showed an identical pill-like shape in close proximity to the Lightning port, slightly recessed from the surface, with little explanation for what it was.

Via Slashleaks
Via Slashleaks

Another report in the same month claimed the Smart Connector would be moved from its current location on the side of the iPad Pro to the "lower rear side," close to the Lightning connector.

It is unknown if today's leak is genuine, as it pertains to an accessory for the device rather than the device itself. While accessory producers can sometimes get tipped off about designs by device producers ahead of a release, it is also possible that the case vendor who produced the cover relied on earlier leaks about this mystery connector.

Additionally, the existing Smart Connector is a surface mount, with nearly no ability for a keyboard to connect to it, given the thickness of a protective case. If this case is accurate, there would have to be some redesigns to the spec or connectors to allow for that gap that would be induced by the case material.

Expected to ship sometime this fall, the 2018 iPad Pro models are speculated to have a smaller footprint but retain the screen size, bringing it closer to an iPhone X with an edge-to-edge display. Touch ID would be removed in favor ofFace IDand the screen notch, as well as suggestions it would also eliminate the headphone jack.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    One word, Ugly .
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    One word, Ugly .
    Two words: what do you mean?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ireland said:
    One word, Ugly .
    That’s two?
    iMarc845anton zuykovfastasleepclaire1
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    Looks like it also has a hole on the side where the Smart Connector has always been located. I’m only assuming things here but I believe it’s either the case maker made it based on earlier rumors or maybe the pill-shaped cutout on the rear is for something completely new that the older gen iPads never had. Hoping for the latter.

Edit: Nevermind I was totally wrong, the hole is on the opposite side of where the Smart Connector is on the current gen iPP. Now I wonder what that hole is for...
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The inside corners suggest a more squared off/chamfered edge that matches the previous CAD leak from July, too—I think it might be reminiscent of a closed Macbook pro, or a Gen1 iPad (which was gorgeous/sculpted, if thick and heavy). I imagine that approach ends up looking more premium/differentiated while making it easier to fill the space with battery, too.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I’m confused. Why move the old smart connector to the right side next to the volume control buttons? That doesn’t make any sense. How are you suppose to access those buttons if the ipad is attached to the smart keyboard in landscape now? As far as the new cut out above the lightning connector, it’s either another smart connector for putting the ipad in portrait while attached to the smart keyboard...or a touch ID as some are saying so you don’t have to turn the large ipad to portrait everytime to use the face ID. Makes sense.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Is that a mic hole on the opposite side of the smart connector hole (long sides)? That suggests that there will be a mic -- maybe front camera -- on top when in landscape, or maybe that's already known from other leaks, I haven't been keeping up. That's a significant and welcome change, if so.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Looking at the inside of the case, I'm reminded of my very favorite phone shape, the flat-sided iPhone 4-5s and SE, earlier iMacs, and the last Apple Cinema displays.

I had an original iPad and had to look up a pic to see that it's edges/sides were indeed flat. That reminded me that I was disappointed in the tapered edges because it made plugging in the 30-pin dock connector slightly awkward.

The tapered edges on a large display, as in the iMac, are a nice styling touch. But for a phone or iPad, I'd prefer flat edges/sides. And yes, that could mean more battery, always a good thing.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    My understanding is that on the iPhone X, FaceID is triggered by the act of raising the phone. No problem, as the phone is usually being held in the hand and moved about when being used.
    Implementing this on the iPad creates a problem in that sometimes we use the device when it's stationary, for example, when it's being used with the SmartKeyboard or any other keyboard, or when it's otherwise set up on a table or desk with a smart cover propping it up. Is Apple going to force us to pick up the iPad to wake it up/unlock it when we already have it set up like that. No, they are probably going to build in a way to trigger FaceID that doesn't require lifting the iPad. The On/Off button could handle this functionality, but that sometimes results in an expenditure of force sufficient to dislodge the iPad from its cover/keyboard. So how about a touch sensor that allows you to flick a finger across to trigger FaceID to do its thing. Maybe they would place such a sensor on the back right by the location that used to house the Home Button, as muscle memory has trained us to place our hand on that spot to use TouchID, except in this instance we'll be using our forefinger or middle finger on the back, rather than our thumb on the front.

brohcard
  • Reply 10 of 15
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    I always found this connecter ugly and very un-Apple. I thought by now they would have found a way to make it invisible. I hope this "leak" is fake.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 15
    rogerr32 said:
    My understanding is that on the iPhone X, FaceID is triggered by the act of raising the phone. No problem, as the phone is usually being held in the hand and moved about when being used.
    Implementing this on the iPad creates a problem in that sometimes we use the device when it's stationary, for example, when it's being used with the SmartKeyboard or any other keyboard, or when it's otherwise set up on a table or desk with a smart cover propping it up. Is Apple going to force us to pick up the iPad to wake it up/unlock it when we already have it set up like that. No, they are probably going to build in a way to trigger FaceID that doesn't require lifting the iPad. The On/Off button could handle this functionality, but that sometimes results in an expenditure of force sufficient to dislodge the iPad from its cover/keyboard. So how about a touch sensor that allows you to flick a finger across to trigger FaceID to do its thing. Maybe they would place such a sensor on the back right by the location that used to house the Home Button, as muscle memory has trained us to place our hand on that spot to use TouchID, except in this instance we'll be using our forefinger or middle finger on the back, rather than our thumb on the front.

The phones and watch have tap to wake.   So I would assume......
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I guess the smartconnector keyboards is going to standalone now with no cover.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    matrix077 said:
    ireland said:
    One word, Ugly .
    That’s two?
    Must be that new Millennial Math or something... :D
    command_f
  • Reply 14 of 15
    One word, Ugly .
    So... You don't like the 3rd party cover? (because that's all we see here)
  • Reply 15 of 15

If that opening size and shape is accurate, the pill shaped hole would likely be for a Touch ID. Some people think it is where the Smart Connector would be, but that makes no sense since it is a non-edge location, and the size of the feature is much too large.

Also, a cover with a hole for a Smart Connector wouldn't work because the thickness of the cover would keep the contacts of the Smart Connector from touching the contacts on keyboard with a Smart Connector. AND the keyboard would need some sort of awkward flap with a tab on it just to get its Smart Connector in the right position... Apple would not design something like that!

edited September 2018