Apple Watch 'Series 4' might use bigger 384x480 resolution

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    svanstrom said:
    backstab said:
    Add to this (and the other improvements) increased processor 'snappiness'; and I am down!
    Finally; my first Watch! I can't wait.
    Apparently you could wait…  ;)

What made you not buy any of the earlier generations?
    Can't wait for "This one". you know; the one the article is referring to.  ;)
    Didn't buy earlier for same reason anyone chooses to act or not to act, on anything; not compelling enough (for me) at the time.
    (For the record, I didn't buy the first or the second generation iPhone either)

Bought a Watch 2 for my father for health reasons, hearing aid control, etc.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Using the article example we've seen in the leak, the 345PPI allocation becomes clear.

The corners (red) of the 384x480 display area will be rounded to fit within the glass bezel leaving thin uniform margins all the way around. Those corner pixels (red) will be re-allocated to the sides (orange) to expand the aspect ratio slightly to keep the active display area symmetrical. This keeps the watch case the same while allowing the display to expand edge-to-edge with a maximum increase in display area @ 398x480. The slightly wider aspect ratio will not be a problem for developers adapting the apps. Existing apps will still be displayed in the original 312x390 active area (white) and appear no different than the original watch. However, new 38mm watches may be able to start using the old 42mm apps as the active area will fit within the new expanded 38mm display area -- if Apple allows it. They stand to benefit the most, getting both instantly larger original apps and new edge-to-edge apps. It remains to be seen whether Apple would allow the 42mm apps to be upscaled to fit in the new area. It also throws the overall bezel design symmetry out of whack, with awkward looking angles too close to the rounded corners, which Apple may not desire.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    Using the article example we've seen in the leak, the 345PPI allocation becomes clear.

The corners (red) of the 384x480 display area will be rounded to fit within the glass bezel leaving thin uniform margins all the way around. Those corner pixels (red) will be re-allocated to the sides (orange) to expand the aspect ratio slightly to keep the active display area symmetrical. This keeps the watch case the same while allowing the display to expand edge-to-edge with a maximum increase in display area @ 398x480. The slightly wider aspect ratio will not be a problem for developers adapting the apps. Existing apps will still be displayed in the original 312x390 active area (white) and appear no different than the original watch. However, new 38mm watches may be able to start using the old 42mm apps as the active area will fit within the new expanded 38mm display area -- if Apple allows it. They stand to benefit the most, getting both instantly larger original apps and new edge-to-edge apps. It remains to be seen whether Apple would allow the 42mm apps to be upscaled to fit in the new area. It also throws the overall bezel design symmetry out of whack, with awkward looking angles too close to the rounded corners, which Apple may not desire.

So then you don't agree with the person you responded to previously where you said "Yeah" to their increase in DPI statement?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    DAalseth said:
    svanstrom said:
    backstab said:
    Add to this (and the other improvements) increased processor 'snappiness'; and I am down!
    Finally; my first Watch! I can't wait.
    Apparently you could wait…  ;)

What made you not buy any of the earlier generations?

Add to the above that I stopped wearing a watch almost fifteen years ago, and it will take a very impressive product to get me to go back. Am I going to get one this year? Probably not. For what it does I still can't justify the cost. But it's gone from "What a silly waste of money" to "It's it's getting close to where I can see myself getting one, someday."

That's always been it for me.
    One of the great things about having a smart phone is that I didn't need to wear a watch anymore, and it's a high bar to make me wear one again. 
    So much about the watch is fun and useful, but I can still do 99% of what the watch does on my phone, even if it's not quite as convenient. 
    Still waiting for the killer app, which I'm guessing will be medical in nature. Having the LTE, which means I don't have to carry around my phone, put it real close. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    akindc said:
    One of the great things about having a smart phone is that I didn't need to wear a watch anymore, and it's a high bar to make me wear one again. 
    So much about the watch is fun and useful, but I can still do 99% of what the watch does on my phone, even if it's not quite as convenient. 
    Still waiting for the killer app, which I'm guessing will be medical in nature. Having the LTE, which means I don't have to carry around my phone, put it real close. 
    Before people actually get an AW they often talk about it as if it's a smartphone, just smaller, and differently placed. They want apps to use.

A phone you're mostly actively using though, while the AW is more of a passive device…

- You quickly glance at a notification to decide if it's worth getting your phone out or not.
    - You're passively getting data from the sensors, which you quickly check on a complication and/or later in a health app (to check on the trend, like catching the trend of going more sedentary).
    - You're changing the volume/tracks of the music playing, using the music interface that automatically was active on the watch.
    - You say "Hey Siri, start workout".

You're absolutely right that most things you do with the watch you can do with a phone, but once you've actually used an AW, then going without one would be like going back to cutting bread with a hammer; it can be done, but it'd be damn awkward and inconvenient. But… then again… some people don't even eat bread, so… :) 

The two things that I regularly use, and where I feel that I'm somewhat more actively using my (non-lte) AW, are:
    1. Dismissing/archiving unimportant emails straight from the notification (HUGE timesaver!!).
    2. Tickets (QR-codes for trains and cinemas).