The surprisingly long history of the Apple AirPods

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Unrelated to their history...
    Can AirPods and their smart chip connect to non-Apple Bluetooth devices?
    Specifically, my grandson would like to use a pair with his bluetooth X-Box controller so he can hear the game and talk with fellow gamers.  But we don't know if the AirPods would connect and work with it since its not an Apple product?
    They do indeed work with non-Apple devices. The charging case has a button you hold down to enter Bluetooth pairing mode, for such devices, whereas they proximity pair with an iPhone. 

Howveer, the XBox may have it’s own requirements. PlayStation cannot use standard Bluetooth headsets due to latency, a time delay of a few seconds listening to music is irrelevant. But during online multiplayer games that delay will get you killed. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Day 1, wear them almost every day. They're great... Only issue is the batteries are worn out, mine start to run red after an hour on the phone or two hours playing back music. I'll have to send them in for battery service.
    My only concern is regarding worn out batteries. Based on your comment I just googled the service page. 50 for battery replacement seems ok. 
    Just talked to Apple — it’s $50 per AirPod, so for both that’s 100 bucks. for a device that costs 160. Yuck. Not too happy about that....will hold off a while longer and see what’s announced 
  • Reply 23 of 29

tyler82 said:
    Eh, they don’t seem practical, especially for working out. They’d fall out of my ear and into the ocean while running. I have a pair of BeatsX that I really like, but battery life sucks. 
    Well you’re quite wrong, they’re extremely practical for working out, as I have for almost two years. Not having cords and wires is a godsend in the gym. I see more and more now.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    TomE said:
    The biggest problem with the AirPods is they will not stay in my ears - not even when I am sitting.  They essentially fall out when I make the slightest movement.
    In spite of what Apple thinks, the Beats with foam or other brands with foam or Gel or over the ear hooks are better.  I say better, because If one cannot keep them in their ears, it does not matter how cool they are - for me they are a problem.  And now Apple is forcing me to go wireless and if they don't make the products where I can use them, I will leave and go somewhere else - Apple Owner since before 1984.
    I guess have enormous ear holes because my AirPods just seem to dangle. I certainly can't run with them and walking means constantly readjusting the right ear. I found some cheap silicon sleeves on Amazon ($10 for a few varieties, ear hooks and no ear hooks) and they help a lot. They're loose enough that they're easy to put on and take off the AirPods (every time you want to use the charging case) and small and squishy enough to take up no space in my pocket. I'd prefer AirPods that fit me properly but this will do.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Specifically, my grandson would like to use a pair with his bluetooth X-Box controller so he can hear the game and talk with fellow gamers.  But we don't know if the AirPods would connect and work with it since its not an Apple product?
    They do indeed work with non-Apple devices. The charging case has a button you hold down to enter Bluetooth pairing mode, for such devices, whereas they proximity pair with an iPhone. 

Howveer, the XBox may have it’s own requirements. PlayStation cannot use standard Bluetooth headsets due to latency, a time delay of a few seconds listening to music is irrelevant. But during online multiplayer games that delay will get you killed. 
    Thank you!
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    What does he use now?

I’d also like to know whether the BT X-Box controller uses aptx low latency, or some other low latency protocol to reduce the lag time, both from the controller and then any audio device connected to the controller.

Apple keeps movies in sync by buffering the video in relation to the audio. But that won’t work with video games which need instantaneous sync, nor will it work with third party devices for any AV application. Even Apple will not allow you to use the BT connection with AirPods over the Apple TV for gaming. Since the AirPods don’t use aptx at all, much less low latency, I’d be surprised if the BT connection with the AirPods to the Xbox controller would be acceptable for gameplay sync. That’s your first concern. Pairing is the least of it.
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mac_128 said:
    What does he use now?

I’d also like to know whether the BT X-Box controller uses aptx low latency, or some other low latency protocol to reduce the lag time, both from the controller and then any audio device connected to the controller.

Apple keeps movies in sync by buffering the video in relation to the audio. But that won’t work with video games which need instantaneous sync, nor will it work with third party devices for any AV application. Even Apple will not allow you to use the BT connection with AirPods over the Apple TV for gaming. Since the AirPods don’t use aptx at all, much less low latency, I’d be surprised if the BT connection with the AirPods to the Xbox controller would be acceptable for gameplay sync. That’s your first concern. Pairing is the least of it.
    Currently he is using wired headphones that plug into the audio jack of his X-Box controller.   But he has been asking about the AirPods -- which even if it could work would require a controller that enables bluetooth audio.

Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    What does he use now?

Currently he is using wired headphones that plug into the audio jack of his X-Box controller.   But he has been asking about the AirPods -- which even if it could work would require a controller that enables bluetooth audio.

Thanks for the info!
    Right. That’s what I thought. There’s no lag with wired headphones on the BT controller, which then likely uses a low latency connection with the Xbox, relaying both audio and keystrokes in sync within an acceptable wireless time delay. Adding the AirPods, even if the controller allows BT audio sync, would add lag between the controller and the AirPods; and even if it were a low latency connection, would introduce more lag with the audio than is already inherent in the controller/box connection, and out of sync with the keystrokes. Given that the AirPods aren’t low latency, this would probably be intolerable. 
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 29
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:
    What does he use now?

Thanks for the info!
    Right. That’s what I thought. There’s no lag with wired headphones on the BT controller, which then likely uses a low latency connection with the Xbox, relaying both audio and keystrokes in sync within an acceptable wireless time delay. Adding the AirPods, even if the controller allows BT audio sync, would add lag between the controller and the AirPods; and even if it were a low latency connection, would introduce more lag with the audio than is already inherent in the controller/box connection, and out of sync with the keystrokes. Given that the AirPods aren’t low latency, this would probably be intolerable. 
    Thank you!