'iPhone XS' & 'iPhone XC' are the 2018 iPhone lineup names, according to Chinese carrier

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
A slide from a presentation posted on social media suggests that the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will be called the "iPhone XC," and is casting aside discussions that the larger OLED iPhone will be called the "iPhone XS Max."

Gather Round event for the iPhone XS

The post on Chinese social media venue Weibo was discovered by Macotakara. Allegedly, the image was reportedly taken during a China Mobile presentation discussing the new models, and some features.

Slide from China Mobile presentation, as found on Weibo
Slide from China Mobile presentation, as found on Weibo

Pricing in China is listed, with the OLED 5.8-inch "iPhone XS" retailing for 7388 Yuan ($1079), and the "iPhone XS Plus" selling for 8388 Yuan ($1225).

The LCD "iPhone XC" is said to retail for 5888 yuan, equivalent to $860. However, all of the prices include China-mandated sales tax, pegging pricing at about $1000 for the "iPhone XS Plus."

While not much has been said about it lately, the LCD model has been rumored to be available in different colors. Ming-Chi Kuo predicted in July that the device would ship potentially ship in gray, white, blue, red, and orange case colors.

The last iPhone to use the "C" nomenclature was the iPhone 5c, which eschewed a metal case and returned to plastic -- and positioned as a budget offering compared to the flagships of the year. It was made available in blue, green, pink, yellow, and white.

The slide also suggests that the "iPhone XS" is available as a dual-sim device, launching a bit later than the rest of the line.

The provenance of the photo is unknown. Similar slide leaks from the carrier to Sunday's have been accurate, but are also incredibly easy to fake.

Apple's "Gather round" event on Sept. 12 will put all the rumors to rest. Beyond just a new iPhone, the event may see a refresh of the iPad Pro, and possibly new Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Apple seriously needs to drop the current naming scheme for iPhones. I cringe every time I hear someone say iPhone "ex" when referring to the 10. I encountered an Apple "fan" who insisted it's called "ex." I insisted he's not a true Apple fan, especially since he obviously didn't watch the iPhone X (10) keynote...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm hoping Apple is smart enough to reject both names!
    "XS Max" - Both the 'excess' part (which you know will be how it's cast) and the "Max" superlative sound like something Samsung would do to attract attention to their latest gimmicky gadget.   Low class.

"XC" -- Apple tried that naming convention with the 5C and the most common interpretation (right or wrong) was that the "C" stood for "Cheap"!

Both names, perhaps due to unfair media spin, lack typical Apple polish and forethought.   Apple is better than both of these names. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    TLDR: No one really knows what the names will be. 
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Yeah. China Mobile seems reliable enough.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    "XS Max" - Both the 'excess' part (which you know will be how it's cast) and the "Max" superlative sound like something Samsung would do to attract attention to their latest gimmicky gadget.   Low class.

"XC" -- Apple tried that naming convention with the 5C and the most common interpretation (right or wrong) was that the "C" stood for "Cheap"!

Both names, perhaps due to unfair media spin, lack typical Apple polish and forethought.   Apple is better than both of these names. 
    These names sound like some awful name Motorola would give one of their Verizon exclusive phones. And since the 5C was t successful why in earth would Apple want to reuse that nomenclature?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Everyone knew C stands for Color. No phone manufacturer ever called their phones “cheap”. Here is the Color:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    fallenjt said:
    Everyone knew C stands for Color. No phone manufacturer ever called their phones “cheap”. Here is the Color:

Now those look cheap
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    fallenjt said:

I suspect you are correct (although I don't remember Apple ever actually saying what THEY meant by it).
    But, whatever they meant by it there were two popular theories:
    1)  Cheap
    2)  China
  • Reply 9 of 20
    fallenjt said:

Everyone didn’t know. Many Wall Street analysts were predicting the C was going to be a cheap(er) phone for emerging markets.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I think the name for the big one is tacky. And what if they ever want to make a bigger phone? Will it be the iPhone XS max plus?

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 20

These names sound like some awful name Motorola would give one of their Verizon exclusive phones. And since the 5C was t successful why in earth would Apple want to reuse that nomenclature?
    You’ve been corrected on this a million times — the 5C was successful. As evidence, it was the second-best selling handset in US carrier stores, as reported right here on AI and others. What data do you have that says otherwise? Because it sounds like you’re just parroting a bogus narrative.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/04/apples-iphone-5s-tops-sales-charts-at-big-4-us-carriers-iphone-5c-close-behind

https://www.cultofmac.com/248616/iphone-5s-is-best-selling-smartphone-while-iphone-5c-comes-in-2nd-or-3rd/
    edited September 2018 lolliverronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20

You’ve been corrected on this a million times — the 5C was successful. As evidence, it was the second-best selling handset in US carrier stores, as reported right here on AI and others. What data do you have that says otherwise? 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/04/apples-iphone-5s-tops-sales-charts-at-big-4-us-carriers-iphone-5c-close-behind

https://www.cultofmac.com/248616/iphone-5s-is-best-selling-smartphone-while-iphone-5c-comes-in-2nd-or-3rd/
    If it was successful why did Apple stop making it and introduce the SE with a 5S like design? Apple doesn’t provide sales figures by model. I don’t trust anyone else’s guesses.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I was holding out for the iPhone XTC. Which comes in 5 variants. And tools to make plans. And something about Generals and Majors...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20

You’ve been corrected on this a million times — the 5C was successful. As evidence, it was the second-best selling handset in US carrier stores, as reported right here on AI and others. What data do you have that says otherwise? 

If it was successful why did Apple stop making it and introduce the SE with a 5S like design? Apple doesn’t provide sales figures by model. I don’t trust anyone else’s guesses.
    The 5C didn't fail because of the colors.  If anything, it sold because of the colors.  It failed because it was made of plastic and the price was very close to that of the 5S.  Per rumors, the 6.1" LCD iPhone will be made of aluminum, so it should have a premium feel to it.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 20
    TLDR: the only one name anyone cares about is the iPhone SE-X (or iPhone X-SE?).
    [Deleted User]GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 20
    The LED phone will be iphone 9 and the OLED models will be iphone XI and XI+. This will remove the confusion this years model has of whether it's called X(10) or X(ex)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20

The 5C didn't fail because of the colors.  If anything, it sold because of the colors.  It failed because it was made of plastic and the price was very close to that of the 5S.  Per rumors, the 6.1" LCD iPhone will be made of aluminum, so it should have a premium feel to it.
    I seem to remember people not loving the colors. A little too pastel/feminine and there was no black option. It’s a shame people think if it’s not metal it’s not premium. The 5C felt great, nothing like cheap plastic phones in Android land.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Apple seriously needs to drop the current naming scheme for iPhones. I cringe every time I hear someone say iPhone "ex" when referring to the 10. I encountered an Apple "fan" who insisted it's called "ex." I insisted he's not a true Apple fan, especially since he obviously didn't watch the iPhone X (10) keynote...
    To settle this gnarly phonetic dilemma once and for all, and address international factors, we should simply refer to them with NATO phonetic pronunciation:

iPhone X = "iPhone X-ray"
    iPhone XS = "iPhone X-ray Sierra"
    iPhone XS Plus = "iPhone X-ray Sierra Jumbo" 
    iPhone XC = "iPhone X-ray Charlie"

Default the time format to 24-hour while you're at it.  And we should also demand that Apple produce a haze gray color option too. Oh, and an olive drab green. 
    Samsung can continue to retain exclusive rights to the "whisky-tango-foxtrot" phonetic all for themselves. It is kind of like an implied alias for all of their phones anyway.

There you go, all of these problems are easily solved simply by removing ambiguity and following standards. 

arthurba[Deleted User]
  • Reply 19 of 20

For the same reason they dropped some of the iPods when they were doing good as well. 

The carriers own their own data. They know the 5c did well. And it’s likely that if it did well in carrier stores it did well elsewhere. 

You have no data, no signals, no indicators. Just a made-up narrative that you happen to like. 
  • Reply 20 of 20

It didn’t fail. It was the second best selling handset in US carrier stores across the country. Bogus narrative you’re spinning.