Apple invites fans to watch Sept. 12 event on Twitter in promoted tweet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Apple on Monday sent out a promoted tweet inviting select Twitter users to tune into a live stream of its upcoming Sept. 12 media event, where the company is expected to announce new products including iPhone and Apple Watch.

As it has done in the past, most recently for the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple used Twitter's promoted tweet feature to advertise this week's event to an unknown number of users.

Users who tap the "heart," or "like," button in their Twitter client of choice are automatically signed up to receive a reminder on event day.

Join us 12 September at 6:00 pm to watch the#AppleEvent liveon Twitter. Tap below and we'll send you updates on event day. pic.twitter.com/ufxuu3kt9H

-- Apple (@Apple)

An animated GIF accompanying the message shows a stylized line drawing of the top portion of Apple's logo, accomplished in the same gold hue seen in press invitations to the event sent out in August. The emailed invites were highlighted by a top-down illustration of Apple Park and the words "Gather round."

Apple rarely uses its official Twitter account. Indeed, the page notes "@Apple hasn't tweeted" since joining the service in 2011. The handle has, however, hosted a number of paid tweets, the first dating back to 2016 when Apple promoted its iPhone event for that year.

Apple is expected to introduce a slate of new iPhone devices at its event on Sept. 12, including rumored "iPhone XC" and "iPhone XS" handsets, as well as a next-generation Apple Watch.

AppleInsider will be covering Wednesday's big announcements live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Since that Twitter account (@apple) has not sent any tweets EVER...how can you find the tweet? (not sure how to show a screenshot)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 2 of 9
    And when you like they tweet you back, not personally of course but not bad marketing! I was planning on watching it anyway 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Is it me, or this is the first iOS-device-related-event that is so late during the day? As far as I can remember all Apple event are mid-morning Cupertino time. Wednesday is gonna be the longest day ever!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It's not. It's scheduled for 10:00 am PDT.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    gutengel said:
    Is it me, or this is the first iOS-device-related-event that is so late during the day? As far as I can remember all Apple event are mid-morning Cupertino time. Wednesday is gonna be the longest day ever!

The invite said 1pm Eastern, which would be 10am Pacific. 6pm would be British Summer Time, I guess.

I've been working on the assumption that it would be at the usual time, since that puts it at about 3am here, so I can watch it before work, instead of in the middle of the morning, when I'm supposed to be doing stuff.

• Reply 6 of 9
    It's not. It's scheduled for 10:00 am PDT.
    my guess is that they are using a bot system that is reading location data from the accounts and telling them the local time, which is why there's no PST, EST etc. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I’m in NZ and it show the 13th, pretty cool how it’s showing regional info.  (another 5am start to the day to watch it)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gutengel said:

It looks like it is the same time as always. The Apple Events TV App has earmarked the same time as always for me (10:30pm).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    LOL....  For weeks and months we've had speculation on what would be announced.  Now we have speculation on what time it will be announced!