Apple canvassing iMac Pro users on why they bought and what they like

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    ireland said:
    They should canvas MBP users. Your favourite feature: the gimmicky Touch Bar, the lack of a physical esc key, the lack of MagSafe, the worse power plug with no cable management, the lack of port diversity, or the crappy feeling, fragile keyboard?

This should ruffle a few features here ;-)
    I just recently bought the 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro and I think it's amazing! I had the 2015 MBP and I really did like the MagSafe and keyboard on that one better. I also miss the start up sound and I liked the fact that the 2015 MBP came with a cleaning cloth. I got liquid damage on it so I had to get a new one. But I'm a huge fan of the True Tone Display and I feel like the Touch Bar can be really helpful. I also really like the massive trackpad and the speakers sound great. I was hearing a lot of complaints online about the 2018 MacBook Pro, but after I bought it I felt like it was definitely the right decision for me.
    fastasleeprandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I don't know why we're talking about MBPs in this thread, but all those complaints listed above are features in my book.  I just got a new Dell notebook at work, and I greatly prefer my MBP keyboard.  I occasionally use my kids' (hand-me-down) prior-gen MBP and I prefer the feel of mine.  After 2 years I did have one key stick for the first time a few weeks ago, but I was able to dislodge whatever got in the gap and now it's as good as new.

I hope consumers make their buying decisions based on actual hands-on use rather than overblown whining by bloggers.
    Currently trying to talk myself into just dropping the full ~$6500K on a fully maxed out top end 15", so yeah — if I were basing it on the whining I would be sticking with my 2011 for another year and hoping for a magical unicorn machine which will never exist. 
    edited September 2018 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    I hope for future pro products they are considering threadripper/epyc over intel’s offerings. 
    I can't wait any longer for Apple to introduce a new Mac Pro, and I'm also afraid that when they do, it will use Intel's crazy expensive Xeons. 

So, a couple of days ago I ordered a custom Linux Threadripper 2990wx desktop for about $4k. That's 32 cores. No Mac on the market today comes close. The top of the iMac Pro line is much more expensive and much less powerful. 

But I have to say, it's not a solution that would work for most Mac users. First, the 2990wx has some goofy memory access issues. I *think* it will work out ok for my particular workload, but there are many workloads where it wouldn't.

Epyc is another ball of wax entirely, though. That actually might make sense, especially when AMD moves to TSMC's 7 nm process early next year. When that happens, AMD will be selling CPUs that are manufactured on a more advanced process than Intel for the first time. At the top of the line will be 'Rome', a 64 core CPU. Maybe, just maybe, Apple's waiting for Rome for the next Mac Pro. But it's a long shot.... overpriced Xeons are far more likely. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    I hope the regular line of iMacs pick up the space gray color, 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, and a few other of the internal updates. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sumergo said:
    lkrupp said:
    Interesting...

Those would be on my list against the MBP 😉
    That's because those who post on Apple tech blogs like AI are not typical of Apple customers in general so their opinions are not very useful, tend to be grossly negative most of the time, and don't reflect the real world of Apple customers.
    Hmm lkrupp.  Your 6,238 posts on AI demonstrate your current point well. "Caput tua in ano est".  
    Nonsense. He just knows a whiny hater when he sees one. Stick around and you’ll quickly identify them too. 
    And he had just agreed with Ireland in his previous post who has almost 3x more posts than lkrupp but he doesn't see the irony.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    blastdoor said:
    I hope for future pro products they are considering threadripper/epyc over intel’s offerings. 
    I can't wait any longer for Apple to introduce a new Mac Pro, and I'm also afraid that when they do, it will use Intel's crazy expensive Xeons. 

So, a couple of days ago I ordered a custom Linux Threadripper 2990wx desktop for about $4k. That's 32 cores. No Mac on the market today comes close. The top of the iMac Pro line is much more expensive and much less powerful. 

But I have to say, it's not a solution that would work for most Mac users. First, the 2990wx has some goofy memory access issues. I *think* it will work out ok for my particular workload, but there are many workloads where it wouldn't.

Epyc is another ball of wax entirely, though. That actually might make sense, especially when AMD moves to TSMC's 7 nm process early next year. When that happens, AMD will be selling CPUs that are manufactured on a more advanced process than Intel for the first time. At the top of the line will be 'Rome', a 64 core CPU. Maybe, just maybe, Apple's waiting for Rome for the next Mac Pro. But it's a long shot.... overpriced Xeons are far more likely. 
    I’m a little surprised that they didn’t also survey MP users (or who were previously users that moved away) , but not iMac Pro for those who didn’t think the iMP met their needs.
  • Reply 27 of 43

I recently bought a 2018 13" MBP with TouchBar for my wife.

From the little that I've used it, I can say that I have no problem with the keyboard and found the TouchBar pretty handy.

For small things like clicking a button on a web browser, it's so much easier to get the option for the button on the TouchBar, rather than navigating to the correct place via the trackpad and then clicking.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mike149 said:
    ireland said:
    They should canvas MBP users. Your favourite feature: the gimmicky Touch Bar, the lack of a physical esc key, the lack of MagSafe, the worse power plug with no cable management, the lack of port diversity, or the crappy feeling, fragile keyboard?

I just recently bought the 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro and I think it's amazing! I had the 2015 MBP and I really did like the MagSafe and keyboard on that one better. I also miss the start up sound and I liked the fact that the 2015 MBP came with a cleaning cloth. I got liquid damage on it so I had to get a new one. But I'm a huge fan of the True Tone Display and I feel like the Touch Bar can be really helpful. I also really like the massive trackpad and the speakers sound great. I was hearing a lot of complaints online about the 2018 MacBook Pro, but after I bought it I felt like it was definitely the right decision for me.
    Most of the features you mentioned there like True Tone, improved speakers and large trackpad are great features, and do not need to go in order to fix other features: such as an indicator light to tell the user if their MBP is successfully charging and then fully charged—lid closed. A feature many relied on and loved. It’s features such as those Apple needed an alternative for, were they to remove MagSafe.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 29 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't know why we're talking about MBPs in this thread, but all those complaints listed above are features in my book.  I just got a new Dell notebook at work, and I greatly prefer my MBP keyboard.  I occasionally use my kids' (hand-me-down) prior-gen MBP and I prefer the feel of mine.  After 2 years I did have one key stick for the first time a few weeks ago, but I was able to dislodge whatever got in the gap and now it's as good as new.

I hope consumers make their buying decisions based on actual hands-on use rather than overblown whining by bloggers.
    Currently trying to talk myself into just dropping the full ~$6500K on a fully maxed out top end 15", so yeah — if I were basing it on the whining I would be sticking with my 2011 for another year and hoping for a magical unicorn machine which will never exist. 
    What’s the alternative? You’d rather we weren’t honest about how we feel about the machine? iPad Pro is a good example where Apple mostly got everything right, and the upcoming model even more so. And most of the complaints people have for the MBP are customers saving they prefer x, y and z features of previous model above the new model—that’s never a good thing. It’s inaccurate and unfair to categorise annoyed customers and whiners. A whiner is the kind of MR user who shits on every move Apple makes. That’s certainly not me.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 30 of 43
    dunks said:
    It’s interesting that the survey selects for people who purchased an iMac Pro.

It’s probably even more valuable for them to survey the people who added an iMac Pro to their cart but didn’t end up purchasing.
    Just wanted to see the price ... thousands upon thousands of worthless responses, to answer your proposed question 
  • Reply 31 of 43
    k2kw said:
    I’m a little surprised that they didn’t also survey MP users (or who were previously users that moved away) , but not iMac Pro for those who didn’t think the iMP met their needs.
    They definitely could and should do that. But maybe they don't want to hear the answers. 

edit:

I looked up the original price of the dual xeon (total of 8 cores) 2009 Mac Pro that I used for years. It cost $3,299. That was actually a very competitively priced machine back then, compared to PCs with similar specs. (https://www.cnet.com/reviews/apple-mac-pro-winter-2009-review/

But today the iMac Pro is really awful from a price/performance perspective. Part of that is because Intel is seriously price gouging with Xeons today compared to back then, and now AMD offers some really compelling competition. It's just a really sad state of affairs for people interested in a high-end desktop Mac. 

edited September 2018
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Learning that this Survey went out yesterday is F#%$ing depressing. That's a pretty good sign that they're not anywhere near announcing the damned thing. I've been waiting forever to get this new friggin' mac pro, and it's starting to feel like they're jerking my chain. It's as if they're pushing it further and further away, to get more people to invest in their other Mac's, simply buying time to where a new Mac Pro won't be so important. I know you said 2019, but I at least held out hope that you'd announce it by year end. Leaving the availability of it shipping in 2019. Now it just feels like it's forever away. WTF, you'll announce in 2019 when..?? and then actual shipments will be another 6 months later ??? UGHHHHH !!! YOU ARE APPLE .... IT DOESN'T TAKE OVER 2 YEARS TO FINALIZE A DESIGN, YOU HAVE THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD......
    edited September 2018 prismatics
  • Reply 33 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sumergo said:

lkrupp said:
    Interesting...

Those would be on my list against the MBP 😉
    That's because those who post on Apple tech blogs like AI are not typical of Apple customers in general so their opinions are not very useful, tend to be grossly negative most of the time, and don't reflect the real world of Apple customers.
    Hmm lkrupp.  Your 6,238 posts on AI demonstrate your current point well. "Caput tua in ano est".  
    In my circles it's known as C.R.I.S, Cranial Rectal Insertion Syndrome. And most who post here on AI suffer from it it in one degree or another. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    metrix said:
    ireland said:

A friend of mine who is a recent Computer Science graduate bought both Dell XPS15 and Apple Macbook Pro and claimed there was no way he could go back to the XPS after using the Macbook Pro. Totally startled to hear this but apparently many Computer Science majors are going with MBp over Dell XPS. I have used the XPS 15 and its really not too bad.
    Well CS majors would love the UNIX environment that is also a mainstream OS.    In fact the MBP has been big in CS departments for some time due to the UNIX underpinnings and the wide array of open source that runs on the platform.   For some it is better than a Linux install.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    blastdoor said:

AMD is really running on all cylinders right now!   For a long time I was hoping to see an AMD APU chip in Apple's Mini simply for the better GPU in a compact form factor.   Now AMD has chips that compete very well with Intels upper end hardware making them suitable for the Mac Pro.   I'm not sure Apple will wise up, there only other choice is a custom ARM chip transition.   However when my MBP went missing I purchased an HP Envy for a whole lot less running an AMD chip.   Installed Linux for a decent working environment.    For a low power chip with integrated GPU (low end hardware) this machine performs surprisingly well.     I couldn't see myself going back to a dual core machine ever, I really think Apple has abandoned Mac engineering because the entire line could have been updated several times by now.   Apples relationship with Intel is really starting to hurt them.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    ireland said:

What’s the alternative? You’d rather we weren’t honest about how we feel about the machine? iPad Pro is a good example where Apple mostly got everything right, and the upcoming model even more so. And most of the complaints people have for the MBP are customers saving they prefer x, y and z features of previous model above the new model—that’s never a good thing. It’s inaccurate and unfair to categorise annoyed customers and whiners. A whiner is the kind of MR user who shits on every move Apple makes. That’s certainly not me.
    ???Whats the Alternative???   There are two mainstream alternatives, one is Windows 10 and the other is Linux.    Windows 10 sucks so bad I can't suggest it to anybody.    However Linux has gotten much better in the last half decade and frankly can serve the common users pretty well.   I(n either case you would be running on hardware that is far cheaper than Apples and in the same performance range.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    jazzyswan said:
    Learning that this Survey went out yesterday is F#%$ing depressing. That's a pretty good sign that they're not anywhere near announcing the damned thing. I've been waiting forever to get this new friggin' mac pro, and it's starting to feel like they're jerking my chain. It's as if they're pushing it further and further away, to get more people to invest in their other Mac's, simply buying time to where a new Mac Pro won't be so important. I know you said 2019, but I at least held out hope that you'd announce it by year end. Leaving the availability of it shipping in 2019. Now it just feels like it's forever away. WTF, you'll announce in 2019 when..?? and then actual shipments will be another 6 months later ??? UGHHHHH !!! YOU ARE APPLE .... IT DOESN'T TAKE OVER 2 YEARS TO FINALIZE A DESIGN, YOU HAVE THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD......
    I have no confidence in Apples Mac engineering commitments.   In fact the current state of Mac hardware is disgusting and Mac OS development is pretty pathetic too.   I'm really hoping for some earth shattering developments at this hardware release show.   If not I may have to transition completely away from Mac and possibly all Apple products.   Some of Apple hardware is so outdated that there really isn't a valid excuse.   Even if they switch to ARM there is no justification for the stagnation.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    ireland said:
    Mike149 said:
    ireland said:

Most of the features you mentioned there like True Tone, improved speakers and large trackpad are great features, and do not need to go in order to fix other features: such as an indicator light to tell the user if their MBP is successfully charging and then fully charged—lid closed. A feature many relied on and loved. It’s features such as those Apple needed an alternative for, were they to remove MagSafe.
    If I could of had it my way, I would have liked a hybrid between the 2015 and 2018 models. I would have kept the 2015 design, then just replaced the Thunderbolt 2 ports with Thunderbolt 3 and upgraded the internals. Kind of like what Apple did with the 2017 iMac. I totally understand how you feel, I definitely miss some of those features too. Especially the glowing Apple logo. I was a little hesitant on getting the 2018 MBP and even considered getting another 2015 model. But I decided to give the 2018 MBP a chance and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's not perfect, but it has some really nice features and a very premium feel to it. I'm glad I gave the new one a chance.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    ireland said:

Considering you're hijacking a thread about iMac Pros to complain about MBP features, I'd categorize that as whining. :) I feel like the incessant complaints about pretty clear directions certain technologies are going and the constant calls to go back to the old ways is annoying to say the least. Don't like the Touch Bar and the lack of physical escape key? Can't wait to hear what you have to say when there are zero physical keys and the entire bottom case is a virtual control surface. By then, the younger users in the forum will be asking "Ireland, what were escape keys like?" :)
    SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 43

bshank said:
    dunks said:
    It’s interesting that the survey selects for people who purchased an iMac Pro.

It’s probably even more valuable for them to survey the people who added an iMac Pro to their cart but didn’t end up purchasing.
    Just wanted to see the price ... thousands upon thousands of worthless responses, to answer your proposed question 
    Haha yep, every single time a new Mac comes out I go price one out fully loaded just to see what the max is. I don't know if a survey asking why I didn't purchase a $14K iMac is going to help them much.