Apple Pay now available at nearly all 7-Eleven locations in US, rollout to continue throug...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Convenience store chain 7-Eleven on Monday provided a progress update on an ongoing Apple Pay rollout, saying that nearly all of its more than 10,000 U.S. locations now support Apple's mobile payments technology.

The company in a press release said "participating U.S. stores" now accept both Apple Pay and Google Pay as part of a services expansion that aims to deliver smartphone payment options to customers across the country. The company already accepts other touchless payment options including Samsung Pay.

"Frictionless experiences are the future, and digital payments are key to such experiences. Consumers prefer shopping at retailers that offer digital payment capabilities," said Gurmeet Singh, CDO and CIO of 7-Eleven. "The ability to pay with their smart device gives consumers one more reason to shop at 7-Eleven."

In a statement to AppleInsider, 7-Eleven said the Apple Pay rollout began in August.

The firm is in the process of modernizing consumer-facing services. For example, the 7-Eleven NOW app offers on-demand product ordering from local 7-Eleven stores and includes Apple Pay as a checkout option. Other innovations include a rewards app, chat bot for Facebook Messenger and in-store package pickup for Amazon Locker orders.

Apple CEO Tim Cook during a recent quarterly conference call in July was first to announce integration with 7-Eleven's network, saying the convenience store would offer full support sometime this year. Cook also said longtime Apple Pay holdout CVS would be brought into the fold in 2018, while German customers are expected to gain access to the service in the coming months.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Maybe this will help me feel like I didn’t get into a time machine to the 80s every time I set foot in a 7-11. 
    edited September 2018 Alinschiopuboxcatcher
  • Reply 2 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) My CVS is working, too. Not too many major companies are still holding out, but Walmart will surely be a thorn in everyone's side for a few more years.

2)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Don't support chains support small businesses. 
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Love Apple Pay .. on Apple Watch.

I hope more gas pumps implement nfc readers.. 
    StrangeDaysAlinschiopuboxcatchernetroxbigbillygoatgruffSoundJudgment
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    1) My CVS is working, too. Not too many major companies are still holding out, but Walmart will surely be a thorn in everyone's side for a few more years.

2)
    Walmart and Home Depot, lots of small mom&pop businesses still. 
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Huge news. Only need Walmart to join and my life would be complete.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    spice-boy said:
    What small business makes an iPhone?
    SolianantksundaramboxcatcherMisterKitchia
  • Reply 8 of 19
    spice-boy said:
    Not necessarily a lover of 7-11, but it is a 'franchise' (ie, small business owners), not a chain.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    spice-boy said:
    Many small businesses have one or few POS terminals, and many of those opt for NFC readers which work with Apple Pay. Getting major chains to adopt wireless terminals and supporting Apple Pay across 10,000 stores with at least that many POS terminals is another story which is why it's newsworthy and you don't hear about some random store in town x changing their single POS system.

That said, sometimes you just gotta buy something at a 7-11. 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I order from Walmart online but don’t shop in their physical stores so they only matter to me from the standpoint of more Apple Pay accessibility. I would like to see Target finally turn on the functionality. It’s baffling to me that they still hold out after that large data breach a few years ago. 
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 11 of 19
    AlinschiopuAlinschiopu Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Most of grocery store I shop at they have it- Trader Joe’s, Albertsons, Vons, Jons, sprouts farmers market, Whole Foods, smart and final Costco, Walgreens Raid aid. The only one that I hoped it had it is Ralph’s. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Most of grocery store I shop at they have it- Trader Joe’s, Albertsons, Vons, Jons, sprouts farmers market, Whole Foods, smart and final Costco, Walgreens Raid aid. The only one that I hoped it had it is Ralph’s. 
    Smart & Final was impressively quick to adopt NFC-based payments, and Ralph's has been surprisingly slow. I can't believe that CVS beat them. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Another nail in the ghost of CurrentC coffin. 
    edited September 2018 backstabchia
  • Reply 14 of 19
    dewme said:
    Another nail in the CurrentC coffin. 
    I'd argue that CurrentC was already on life support doing a Terri Schiavo impression before Apple Pay was announced and after that MCX was doing their best to make CurrentC seem viable by unsuccessfully pulling a Weekend at Bernie's stunt.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Love Apple Pay .. on Apple Watch.

I hope more gas pumps implement nfc readers.. 
    Many new stations have nfc readers, but the American fuel industry pushed back against the EMV liability deadline. MasterCard and Visa agreed to push the "pump" reader deadline back to Oct. 2020. I won't expect existing stations to get chip readers until the deadline looms...

Of course, none of these stations are going to get NFC before they get chip readers.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I’m a bit confused by this article. It seems to indicate that they used to accept contactless payments, just not Apple Pay.

in the U.K. if they support contactless then they support Apple Pay, or any other contactless method for that matter.
    chia
  • Reply 17 of 19
    P Money!P Money! Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Apple pay is working at CVS and Walmart in my City now, this wasn't the case 1 month ago. 

It works at Shell gas inside the store, just not at the pump, even though the NFC reader is installed. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    The two 7-elevens that I go to have apple pay and google pay logos come up on the card reader screen (right after the july announcement noless) but none of them work. They said they just appeared on the screen even though they have the same care readers with no NFC built in.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Nice.

But there's still HUGE gaps in Apple Pay:
    Target
    Walmart
    EVERY sit down restaurant in the US (you still have to hand the card to the wait-person)
    EVERY bar/club/concert venue in the US (you still have to hand your card to the bartender)
    Amazon (online)
    Every grocery chain I've been to other than whole foods and trader joes (looking at the above posts, looks like California grocery chains actually have good support)
    Gas pumps
    Home Depot
    Lowes
    many small businesses

edited September 2018