Tesla to restock sold-out wireless phone charger, cut price by $16

Posted:
in iPhone
After quickly selling out of a sleek but underpowered wireless smartphone charger in late August, Tesla this week informed customers that the device will soon be back in stock at a roughly $16 discount.

Tesla Wireless Charger

Tesla is in the process of emailing customers who purchased the eponymous charger last month for $65, saying new shipments of the product are coming in and will be sold for $49 on the company's online store, reports The Verge.

According to the email, copies of which were posted to social media on Monday, the $16 price drop is thanks to a higher quantity second production run. Customers who bought the Tesla Wireless Charger when it first went on sale last month will be refunded the $16 difference for being "early adopters."

Tesla quietly introduced its Qi-compatible wireless charging device at the end of August. Described as a charging pad that "features the same design language used in our energy products, like Powerwall," the charger sold out within a matter of hours.

Along with inductive charging, the device integrates a USB-C plug for compatible phones, while a USB-A cable provides a means to recharge the pack. With a 6,000mAh battery cell and wireless module that outputs 5W of power, the Tesla Wireless Charger is easily outperformed by cheaper, more capable products. As AppleInsider noted last month, RAVPower's HyperAir battery pack boasts a 10,400mAh cell and 7.5W wireless charging capabilities for $50.

Still, Tesla's brand appeal is sure to give the wireless charger a boost when it goes back up for sale in the near future. The company did not specify a restock timeline, but the recent emails suggest that date is soon approaching.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I notice the RAVPower charger mentioned has terrible Amazon reviews (20% 1 star, 11% 2 stars).  Given that, if anything, reviews are inflated by fake 5 star reviews, this is a huge red flag for me.

And besides, if I'm bringing a portable power pack why would I be willing to lose efficiency by charging "wirelessly"?
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I'd prefer they update their software to just support standard USB media functionality. You cannot browse your media library or control playback through USB on Teslas. One has to wonder what Elon does, because the current support is awful. Well, not awful. Non-existent.
    chiadoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Knock knock, it's me Dave. Open up man. The price has been reduced to five dime-bags.
    edited September 2018 eightzero
  • Reply 4 of 26
    So this answers the question from the earlier story as to why it was pulled. It was sold out.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    dewme said:
    Knock knock, it's me Dave. Open up man. The price has been reduced to five dime-bags.
    I don’t get it. Is that a drug reference or a whooosh?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    At its new price, it's moderately competitive (and probably better-looking than most) with other low-power chargers, so that's a good thing. I'll stick with a 7.5W charger when I get my first Qi-compatible iPhone, though.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So Tesla price gouged a limited run to exploit its zealots?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 26
    quote: I hate that most places I use Apple Pay still require a signature or a PIN. When I sign it is a horizontal line. No one has ever asked for a PIN, in my experience.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    And besides, if I'm bringing a portable power pack why would I be willing to lose efficiency by charging "wirelessly"?
    It's convenient, less hassle with cables; and it's an extra layer of security.

Any time you connect anything to anything there's a potential security risk that could be exploited, and by using a power transfer method with minimum transference of data you are limiting the potential damage; as well as making it a heck harder/more costly to target you.

In the past people have been able to sell, give away or just drop chargers/batterypacks in desirable locations to then be able to gain access to passwords/accounts/data from people. Using a wireless charger (based on the QI standard) you lower the risk of being hacked even if you do use an unknown device.

Then again, you could just use any ol' wired thing if you are able to simply not connect the datawires at all. (I believe http://syncstop.com/ to be a commercial product that does just that.)
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 26
    dewme said:
    Cheech and Chong 
    doozydozendewme
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I hhope Tesla goes away before the iCar goes into production.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    nunzy said:
    That's basically saying that you think that Apple can't compete, so you hope that the better product goes away first.

It's better for everyone with a healthy level of competition.
    doozydozennunzy
  • Reply 13 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    dewme said:
    Firesign Theatre...

EDIT: Ooops, could'a shown it was them but I guess it was Cheech and Chong. Perhaps I had a bit too much fun in the 70's? 
    Nah... :)

edited September 2018 doozydozendewme
  • Reply 14 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    focher said:
    I'd prefer they update their software to just support standard USB media functionality. You cannot browse your media library or control playback through USB on Teslas. One has to wonder what Elon does, because the current support is awful. Well, not awful. Non-existent.
    What’s the point of playing thru USB while you can play it from your phone thru Bluetooth? Just doesn’t make sense.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    nunzy said:
    Well, then your hope really sucks because Tesla just like Apple is here to stay and thrive. Their cars drive like a dream. My $49k Model 3 becomes $35.5k after rebates and tax credit. With $10k+ saving on gas after 5 years, it’s pretty much $25k-car and lower to come. Beat that with your Camry.
    nunzy
  • Reply 16 of 26
    dewme said:
    Dave's not home.
    dewme
  • Reply 17 of 26
    fallenjt said:
    nunzy said:
    Well, then your hope really sucks because Tesla just like Apple is here to stay and thrive. Their cars drive like a dream. My $49k Model 3 becomes $35.5k after rebates and tax credit. With $10k+ saving on gas after 5 years, it’s pretty much $25k-car and lower to come. Beat that with your Camry.
    I'll be curious about what they are like with 200,000 miles on them. I learned long ago to never buy first model year cars, ever.
    nunzy
  • Reply 18 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    dewme said:
    Um, Elon Musk ... in the news. I know, if you have to explain it the joke is a dud. Sorry.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    fallenjt said:
    nunzy said:
    https://www.theonion.com/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-to-fact-that-owners-reall-1819577805

You forgot to mention how high priced your insurance is, and I certainly hope the you have another vehicle available just in case you have to take your Model 3 in for service or repair.

Camry's never had those problems.
    nunzy
  • Reply 20 of 26
    tmay said:
    fallenjt said:
    nunzy said:
    https://www.theonion.com/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-to-fact-that-owners-reall-1819577805

You forgot to mention how high priced your insurance is, and I certainly hope the you have another vehicle available just in case you have to take your Model 3 in for service or repair.

Camry's never had those problems.
    There's some maths associated with the propellant too. The Camry eats gasoline, the Tesla electrons, neither of which are free. Depending where you live, the electrons might be comparatively cheap or expensive. And the electrons may or may not have come from a renewable resource, so that's not really a factor (although the efficiency of doing so is.) Gasoline is available on about every street corner, consumable electrons not so much. Those batteries come an a cost in money and environmental factors too.

I do hope electric cars succeed. But we've gotten really good at making gasoline powered ones. 
    kingofsomewherehot