How to watch Apple's Sept. 12 'Gather round' iPhone Xs event, and follow along with AppleI...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple is poised to announce three new iPhones and possibly much more at its fall press event, starting at 10 a.m. Pacific time (1 p.m. Eastern) on Sept. 12. Follow along with AppleInsider while you watch on one of multiple sources this year, including Twitter.

Apple Sept. 12 event

If you can't watch, or just want more info as the event proceeds, AppleInsider has you covered! Check our minute-to-minute live coverage for info, and insight about what's going on.

To watch through Twitter, people should tap or click the heart (like) button for this tweet, which is also embedded below. Apple will then send out updates on the 12th, including instructions on how to watch.

Join us 12 September at 6:00 pm to watch the#AppleEvent liveon Twitter. Tap ?? below and we'll send you updates on event day. pic.twitter.com/ufxuu3kt9H

-- Apple (@Apple)

Otherwise, the easiest way for most people to watch will be via Apple's event page. A video stream should appear shortly before the event starts, though the company's preferred streaming technology means only certain browsers are guaranteed to work. This includes Safari on macOS 10.12 or iOS 10 or later, and on Windows 10 PCs, Microsoft Edge.

The company notes that "recent" versions of Chrome or Firefox may work, so be sure to update now if one of those is your browser of choice.

If you have a second-generation Apple TV or later, you should be able to watch through the "Events" app. If it's not already installed, people with tvOS-based models such as the Apple TV 4K can download it from their set-top's App Store.

The highlight of the event should be the "iPhone XS," a follow-up to last year's 5.8-inch OLED iPhone X with a faster "A12" processor and various other internal upgrades. It may have a new gold color option, and a 6.5-inch version that could be called the "XS Plus" or "XS Max." Also anticipated is a 6.1-inch, LCD-based "iPhone Xc," a cheaper alternative that should nevertheless share features like an edge-to-edge display and Face ID.

The Apple Watch "Series 4" will make its debut as well, gaining a larger display and a thinner chassis. The extra screen space should enable new watchfaces with more complications, and it's possible the device will add new sensors, such as one for EKG readings.

Updated iPad Pros might appear, but that has become less and less likely as of late. They should keep their current 10.5- and 12.9-inch sizes, but dramatically shrink their bezels, switching from Touch ID to Face ID in the process. As usual, a faster A-series chip and other improved internals will come in tandem.

New Macs are far less certain than even an iPad Pro refresh, but talk has been that Apple could update its lower-cost MacBooks, perhaps adding a Retina display to the 13-inch Air. It may even finally update the four-year-old Mac mini, possibly rebranding it as pro hardware.

If nothing else Apple will reveal the release dates for iOS 12, tvOS 12, macOS Mojave, and watchOS 5. Also possible are the launches of the AirPower charging mat and a wireless AirPods case.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I wonder if Twitter begged Apple to stream on their platform or is more about getting non Apple users to be able to see the keynote. Also, your comment section doesn't seme to be optimized to work Safari on iPhone for some reason, meaning that I cant type on the phone. Not sure if it a general problem or specific to my browser.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    gutengel said:
    I wonder if Twitter begged Apple to stream on their platform or is more about getting non Apple users to be able to see the keynote. Also, your comment section doesn't seme to be optimized to work Safari on iPhone for some reason, meaning that I cant type on the phone. Not sure if it a general problem or specific to my browser.
    I've been fighting the AI comment box problem on both iPhone and iPad for quite a while. On the iPhone I can usually get the comment box to enable itself for text input if I change the phone's orientation from portrait to landscape. On the iPad, expanding the comment box size using the resize control (double diagonal arrows) and then typing in the comment box seems to work. After you enter some text into the comment box you can resize it or reorient the device and the comment box will still be enabled. It looks like a sequence-of-events or race condition bug because it sometimes works as expected and sometimes needs a little kick.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dewme said:
    gutengel said:
    I've been fighting the AI comment box problem on both iPhone and iPad for quite a while. On the iPhone I can usually get the comment box to enable itself for text input if I change the phone's orientation from portrait to landscape. On the iPad, expanding the comment box size using the resize control (double diagonal arrows) and then typing in the comment box seems to work. After you enter some text into the comment box you can resize it or reorient the device and the comment box will still be enabled. It looks like a sequence-of-events or race condition bug because it sometimes works as expected and sometimes needs a little kick.
    Similar thing on Mac too. If I zoomed in the page the comment section will refuse to load.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    tzm41 said:
    dewme said:
    gutengel said:
    Similar thing on Mac too. If I zoomed in the page the comment section will refuse to load.
    Gotta love an Apple tech site that works poorly on Safari...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I guess there's no forum thread?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Thanks for the coverage, AI.
    Scanning the headlines saves me the time to bother watching the keynote... nothing to see here.