Photos show alleged 'iPhone Xc' SIM trays in five colors

Posted:
in iPhone
Reinforcing the notion that the "iPhone Xc" will take after the colorful iPhone 5c, new images published on Monday are claimed to show SIM trays in five different metallic hues.

iPhone Xc SIM trays

The phone will come in red, blue, and brown in addition to more conventional space gray and silver options, according to photos shared by well-known leak source Ben Geskin. The images were also separately uploaded to China's Weibo, though that post now appears to be inaccessible.

The images are generally consistent with supposed rear casings for the "Xc," which might alternately be called the "iPhone Xr."

Either way, the phone is forecast to be a 6.1-inch LCD model, cheaper than the OLED-based "iPhone XS" line. It should nevertheless share some features in common, such as an edge-to-edge display and Face ID.

The iPhone 5c was rare instance of Apple branching out from its normal color options, having models available in white, green, blue, yellow, and a salmon-shaded red. Since the iPhone 6 the company has typically stuck with variations of space gray, silver, and gold, the exception being (PRODUCT)RED charity models.

The SIM trays are double-sided, fitting a card on each side, according to Geskin. That would follow in line with indications that at least some of this year's iPhones will be dual-SIM devices, able to switch carriers on the fly.

Apple is due to announce its new iPhones at a Sept. 12 press event, which will be live-streamed starting at 10 a.m. Pacific time, or 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I'm liking all the new colours, but Blue definitely is the one I like most.
    mike1
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I wonder how tricky it is to insert a tray with SIM cards on both sides :-)

Honestly I wished Apple to have gone with eSim (or iSim? Apple Sim?) to force the industry's hand...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'm liking all the new colours, but Blue definitely is the one I like most.
    Really? That doesn't even look like blue. More of an aquamarine color ... wouldn't be my first choice, but that's what makes the world go 'round! And I really don't understand brown ...

edited September 2018
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Brown? Apple going Zune on us?
    CheeseFreezelkruppchiasphericGG1kirkgray
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Zune was my first thought. Remember the "copper gold" rumors? Maybe a bad picture of that.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    laughable that people actually believe this
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Seems legit, very interesting!

iPhone Xc (brown, blue, red, grey, silver/white)
    iPhone Xs (grey/black, silver/white)
    iPhone Xs Plus (grey/black, silver/white)

Also matches with the image of the brownish Apple watch (released by the skeevy team at 9to5 who like ruining the surprise by breaking fully baked Apple marketing material close to event launches).

Releasing red at this time would of course be very out of turn, but could make sense if it coincides with an announcement about US manufacturing (hence red, white, and blue); of course I'm referring to the $10B investment that foxconn (and probably Apple) are making in Wisconsin, which a few ideologically biased individuals are pretending is a bad investment because of some fairly standard tax breaks (..they don't get the tax break money unless the plant is productively making money) and the fact that the state will be spending 1-2 hundred million in infrastructure upgrades.

This lineup also makes sense if you consider that they will keep selling the 4.7" iPhone 8 at a lower price point, so they have a clear progression in model pricing:
    iPhone 8 4.7"
    iPhone Xc 6.1" (LCD, aluminum)
    iPhone Xs 5.8" (OLED, SS)
    iPhone Xs Plus 6.5" (OLED, SS)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 8 of 30
  • Reply 9 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    laughable that people actually believe this
    I have no idea if this is legit (mostly because of a brown option), but I have no reason to believe that Apple will not have a budget device in many colors, that it won't be called Xc, and that it won't be anodized metal.
    edited September 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I told you all the Zune was decades ahead of its time. Go brown iPhone. 
    kirkgray
  • Reply 11 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    Brown can look very nice:

https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10-review-1675.php

From the images of the SIM trays, the red option looks great.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    Brown can look very nice:

https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10-review-1675.php

From the images of the SIM trays, the red option looks great.
    Maybe brown can look nice, but the Huawei Mate 10 is not an example of that.
    tmay
  • Reply 13 of 30
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Those are too fugly for Apple. Don't believe it.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 14 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    nunzy said:
    Those are too fugly for Apple. Don't believe it.
    Do you know what prototypes mean? Btw, these are leaked from manufacturers which usually blurry and shit!
    nunzy
  • Reply 15 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    krawall said:
    I wonder how tricky it is to insert a tray with SIM cards on both sides :-)

Honestly I wished Apple to have gone with eSim (or iSim? Apple Sim?) to force the industry's hand...

Two adjacent SIM trays? Presumably not one big one, since we see them here.

I think they could go for an eSIM and a physical SIM tray, but forcing the industry's hand isn't really likely. It's more like they can't do this without the industry backing them up before it comes out. I suspect the negotiations are ongoing at this point.

Finally, are we sure it's "Brown"? Thought it might be "Bronze", which would be a better choice in my opinion.

• Reply 16 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    krawall said:
    As I said in a previous thread, the e-sim might work for the US where you can just walk into the carrier store and get it programmed, but much of the rest of the world doesn't have a carrier store nearby. They buy a sim and a prepaid minutes card at a local mom and pop connivence store. That is why CDMA phones are not available in most parts of the world. You need an official carrier store to program it.

The main advantage of an e-sim is an advantage for Apple not the consumer.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 17 of 30
    volcan said:
    krawall said:
    As I said in a previous thread, the e-sim might work for the US where you can just walk into the carrier store and get it programmed, but much of the rest of the world doesn't have a carrier store nearby. They buy a sim and a prepaid minutes card at a local mom and pop connivence store. That is why CDMA phones are not available in most parts of the world. You need an official carrier store to program it.

eSIM is a huge advantage for the customer. Not having to physically swap out cards, not having to carry different cards, not having that hold for possible ingress of dirt and water. Then there's the potential advantage of  eSIMs that you can switch by going into settings or even switch on their own (or ask you if you want to switch) once it notices you're now connected to a different cellular network for which you have an eSIM for or a new country, as your multi-SIM usage would dictate. Imagine having to switch out a physical card from your laptop every time you want to change your WiFi. I assume you would think that's a huge PITA, but you think that doing this with cellular is better than a simple bit of data you can switch with a few taps on the screen or automatically?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 30
    So I wonder if his render is what he expects or just and example of brown looking OK? I don’t mind it but I don’t love it either.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Brown is very popular in Germany for some reason.

I really hope there’s a decent orange colour too.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    krawall said:

eSIM is a huge advantage for the customer. Not having to physically swap out cards, not having to carry different cards, not having that hold for possible ingress of dirt and water. Then there's the potential advantage of  eSIMs that you can switch by going into settings or even switch on their own (or ask you if you want to switch) once it notices you're now connected to a different cellular network for which you have an eSIM for or a new country, as your multi-SIM usage would dictate. Imagine having to switch out a physical card from your laptop every time you want to change your WiFi. I assume you would think that's a huge PITA, but you think that doing this with cellular is better than a simple bit of data you can switch with a few taps on the screen or automatically?
    WiFi is different because it is usually free and you may change a dozen times a day. With cellular you need to pay and you usually don’t switch very often. With an e-sim you still need an authorized store to program it in the begin with so it is inconvenient if there is no carrier store nearby even if you can switch it yourself afterwards. 

I dont think that the dust and moisture is a real issue because they have apparently already solved that problem since the current iPhones are pretty water resistant as it is.