The free U2 album 'Songs of Innocence' was a debacle for Apple fans on September 9, 2014

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    matrix077 said:
    It’s a bit tone deaf. Should send notification, with download button if they’re so eager, telling users they got a chance to have this album for free and let them act instead. 
    Exactly. The only ‘debacle’ was that some folks had automatic downloading on and didn’t get the memo that something was going to pop up and dump onto their devices. Had they gotten an email or a pop up warning with an option to not download no one would have been freaking out
  • Reply 22 of 38
    matrix077 said:
    It’s a bit tone deaf. Should send notification, with download button if they’re so eager, telling users they got a chance to have this album for free and let them act instead. 
    Exactly. The only ‘debacle’ was that some folks had automatic downloading on and didn’t get the memo that something was going to pop up and dump onto their devices. Had they gotten an email or a pop up warning with an option to not download no one would have been freaking out.
    And I believe also the album downloaded automatically over cellular and ate into the much less generous data plans back then.  But seriously whoever was offended about their iTunes library being “infiltrated” has a serious issue.  How many times did these same people get a spam email in their inbox...the horror!  I wasn’t a big fan of U2 at the time but actually listened to the album and appreciated the gesture. Some of these artists pour their soul into their work and U2 decided to “give it away” (ok, for $100M) for the masses to own.  
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Let's not forget that this was the image that many people saw on their phone:

If one shirtless dude wants to hug another shirtless dude around the waist, that's his business, but I don't care to look at that on my phone every day, thanks.
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 38
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    chris.com said:

If one shirtless dude wants to hug another shirtless dude around the waist, that's his business, but I don't care to look at that on my phone every day, thanks.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2-reveal-intimate-album-cover-for-songs-of-innocence-53943/

Black-and-white image features drummer Larry Mullen Jr. shielding his 18-year-old son
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I don't use iTunes, and have no purchased music on there. But on the odd occasion, when my iPhone connects to my car stereo's bluetooth connection - if I'm not quick enough launching Spotify or have it playing already, I'm hit with U2 blasting from god knows where. It obviously defaults to launching Apple Music when a bluetooth connection is started and the play command is received (automatically from the car I might add). It's a minor annoyance but something that nonetheless I shouldn't have to rectify myself.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    ronn said:
    chris.com said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2-reveal-intimate-album-cover-for-songs-of-innocence-53943/

Black-and-white image features drummer Larry Mullen Jr. shielding his 18-year-old son
    Oh, that’s alright then. 😜

You know, since 2014 I have been looking at that album cover as I flicked across my Apple TV music screen wondering what the heck it was, as I was sure we had not purchased it. Now I know.  Might even listen to it one day.

My concerns certainly are political. But not about what Bono may or not think about something as a commenter implied above. It’s that someone could think imposing something as personal as music on others, especially as downloads may cost people money, was a good idea. There is too much deciding what other people should be interested in, or not, these days. 

for Apple  specifically, it also shows a disconnect of the management that could be seen as a bad symbol of what was to come: Outdated Mac minis, abandoned MBAs and Mac Pros, and locking up access to RAM and drives.

maltz
  • Reply 27 of 38
    This was so dumb. I bet it was Eddy’s idea.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I can't believe that after all these years, people are still upset about this. It was done, they apologized, they corrected their mistake. End story. 
    When I opened my movie account, I was given 'Ice Age 2' for free. Never watched it. Then one day, I decided to delete it. Went on with my life. 
    One of the reasons people are still upset over this is because certain media outlets prompt them to be upset.  “Hey, remember that time... Aren’t you pissed!?!”
    ronnStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 38
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Let's not forget that this exclusive cost Apple 100 million dollars. U2, no matter what you think of them, wasn't doing this for free, and they got paid handsomely for the promotion. So for the fanboys who apologize for Apple and say this was no big deal, think about losing 100 million and pissing a lot of people off at the same time. Yeah, I'd call that a debacle. Think of some of the things that 100 million might have been used for. Of course, then they bought Beats for even more. That was the kind of money they had lying around before they lost it all to Spotify, and they're still struggling to get back the kind of dominance they once had in Music. Losing Music was Tim Cook's first major bungle.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Apple will never recover from this I tell you....!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    chris.com said:

But wasn't the original artwork, when it was given away for free on iTunes, something like this:

• Reply 32 of 38
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It was released around the time of U2 being very unhip but mostly with middle aged people who might have used to like them. thats inevitable in a band which is heading to late middle age.

When they are 70 they will be in fashion again. 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    roake said:
    I can't believe that after all these years, people are still upset about this. It was done, they apologized, they corrected their mistake. End story. 
    When I opened my movie account, I was given 'Ice Age 2' for free. Never watched it. Then one day, I decided to delete it. Went on with my life. 
    One of the reasons people are still upset over this is because certain media outlets prompt them to be upset.  “Hey, remember that time... Aren’t you pissed!?!”
    A fairly common UK tabloid mode of operation.

OUTRAGE over something we have decided you should be outraged about. 
  • Reply 34 of 38
    lmac said:
    Let's not forget that this exclusive cost Apple 100 million dollars. U2, no matter what you think of them, wasn't doing this for free, and they got paid handsomely for the promotion. So for the fanboys who apologize for Apple and say this was no big deal, think about losing 100 million and pissing a lot of people off at the same time. Yeah, I'd call that a debacle. Think of some of the things that 100 million might have been used for. Of course, then they bought Beats for even more. That was the kind of money they had lying around before they lost it all to Spotify, and they're still struggling to get back the kind of dominance they once had in Music. Losing Music was Tim Cook's first major bungle.
    eh?

They didn't lose to Spotify because they weren't competing in that streaming market. And what do you mean they lost all their money to Spotify? Music isn't a big earner for Apple, not compared to hardware, and their revenues vastly outpace Spotify.  They have a cash position of 285B even as they try and give it away. Spotify is losing money. 

In terms of market share Apple is in fact catching up to Spotify worldwide and has surpassed them in the US. 
    edited September 2018 ronnStrangeDays
  • Reply 35 of 38
    lmac said:
    How much did Spotify make vs Apple? Beats? 

Sorry but considering Spotify a bungle is a joke. 
    ronn
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Speaking personally, the experience was perfect for me...  I do understand the quibbles people had, although they were way overblown by haters and technophobes who didn’t understand how to use iTunes on their devices.
    Could Apple have deployed this more elegantly?  Yes. No doubt. That was a bungle.
    I had friends with iTunes that couldn’t figure out how to play it lol! Thought it would cost them.

After watching the keynote I was a bit blasé about the album. Wouldn’t have purchased it based on that performance and disappointment with albums since the 80’s.
    But, most of the music I listened to was roped from my cd collection, manually synced, and I tried the new album out cycling.  Totally fell in love with it.  I guess I’m the same age as these guys, and the maturity of the emotional content resonates with me.  The music itself doesn’t have the bombastic anthemic nature ov earlier material - but that is a now a memory experience where this still feels fresh and balanced. 
    I play it more now than their most popular albums. Thanks to it just popping up on my phone. Wouldn’t have gone for it after interim disappointments in album releases.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    TricerahopsTricerahops Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    crowley said:
    There were only two legitimate reasons for objecting:
    1)  Most phones/iPods back then had very little storage.  People horded it.
    2)  Political.  You didn't like the band's political stances.

If it was the second, then the correct response was to simply delete it and move on.  But the radical fringes (on both sides) are incapable of not making a fuss when provided with an opportunity.
    It's perfectly possible to dislike Bono and the boys while having no particular problem with their politics.
    True. I dislike them because their music is garbage.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    James DoyleJames Doyle Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I appreciate the effort. I wish it would have worked.