Apple antenna engineer awarded prestigious Marconi Society honor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Apple RF engineer Dr. Ding Nie has been named by the Marconi Society as one of four Paul Baran Young Scholars for his work toward increasing throughput in wireless systems.

Paul Baran Young Scholars
Source: The Marconi Society

Dr. Nie has been with Apple since July of 2016 working as a radio frequency engineer tackling issues related to multi-antenna systems. As technology has advanced, so has demand.

Integrating multiple antennas into mobile devices should theoretically increase data throughput, but applying such technology has proven difficult. Dr. Nie helped develop new bounds for multi-antenna systems that are leading to increased throughput and faster wireless communications, according to the Marconi Society.

"Ding is the kind of person that you can let loose on a problem with little guidance and he comes up with very original ideas for solutions," said Dr. Bertrand Hochwald, Nie's doctoral advisor at the University of Notre Dame. "He made a big advance in solving an open problem by coming up with new results that let us apply Bode-Fano bounds to multi-antenna systems"

Dr. Ding Nie
Dr. Ding Nie

Other honorees include Dr. Di Che, a Member of Technical Staff at Nokia Bell Labs, Qurrat-Ul-Ain Nadeem, a doctoral candidate at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, and Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, a doctoral candidate at the University of Washington.

All four are being honored by the Marconi Society, an organization dedicated to "furthering scientific achievements in communications and the Internet."

Each will receive their awards at the Society's annual awards ceremony on Oct. 2, 2018, in Bologna, Italy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Check spelling in the photo credit:  "Source: The Macroni Society"
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    At least it wasn't Macaroni or we'd have endless wet noodle jokes.

That's a pretty cool honour. Any idea what models he's working on? iPhones? MacBooks? All of them?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Pretty amazing stuff that folks like Dr. Nie work on.  They're on a whole different level of brainpower than I could ever understand.  They're in a great career field. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mknelson said:
    At least it wasn't Macaroni or we'd have endless wet noodle jokes.

That's a pretty cool honour. Any idea what models he's working on? iPhones? MacBooks? All of them?

It could have been worse, it could have been the "Macarena Society"...OK, OK, I'm going.

Still, as stated above, it is pretty damn cool.

backstabwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Congratulations on the professional recognition of Apple's Dr Nie. For us consumers, this is a great example of how advanced engineering, new perspectives, and purposeful research can ultimately lead to technical breakthroughs that solve, or at least simplify, decades-old problems. The net result is the practical application of engineering and science into innovative products that we will soon use on a daily basis and largely take for granted. The most immediate benefactors of Dr Nie's work will likely show up in Apple products that bring 5G support to future wireless products. Seeing this caliber of engineer deeply engaged in customer value driven R&D at a consumer products company, as opposed to say a research lab or defense contractor, is fascinating (for me) and demonstrates just how high the bar is now set for designing everyday products that many consumers take for granted. No doubt that Dr Nie is surrounded by many equally gifted and driven colleagues at Apple - and therein lies the essence of Apple's massive market cap and continued success in the marketplace. Apple's success has always been about the quality of the people behind its products, starting with Wozniak and Jobs and continuing unabated with today's current complement of professionals in every discipline at Apple. We'll get to witness some of the results of their genius and hard work tomorrow at 10:00 AM PDT.

Dr Nie's PhD dissertation is available for free download from https://curate.nd.edu/show/jh343r09f94.  
    badmonkiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    dewme said:
    Congratulations on the professional recognition of Apple's Dr Nie. For us consumers, this is a great example of how advanced engineering, new perspectives, and purposeful research can ultimately lead to technical breakthroughs that solve, or at least simplify, decades-old problems.
    Indeed. Some entrepreneurs like to claim that higher education is a waste of time, all the while relying on the likes of Dr Nie to provide the expertise their businesses rely on.

Dr Nie's PhD dissertation is available for free download from https://curate.nd.edu/show/jh343r09f94.  
    Notre Dame. I have lectured at our NDU and loved it. Bright, motivated students, great experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Congratulations to him.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dingnie

I wonder if he was an H1B (as I am by the way so not a criticism, in fact far from it)?  We need more people like Dr. Nie here not less!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    And that is an achievement on the real level to push our civilization. Not just bunch of apps and features towards some hype driven crowd that pays.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MacPro said:
    Congratulations to him.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dingnie

I wonder if he was an H1B (as I am by the way so not a criticism, in fact far from it)?  We need more people like Dr. Nie here not less!
    I was myslef on H1B. Also sponsoored by company in Sillicon Valley for unique work in different area that picked up years later. Now I am in finance if any of Apple religious people asked.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Maybe author is really thinking of France now ;)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sflocal said:
    Pretty amazing stuff that folks like Dr. Nie work on.  They're on a whole different level of brainpower than I could ever understand.  They're in a great career field. 
    Then stop just learning from iPhone or iPad and do the advanced study on some subject. Wikipedia is good ffor crowd only (and now when it is with political bias it defines terms incorrectly and falsifyies some facts that some of us really lived). I did years ago when we did not have that techology and Dr. Nie is obviously using his brain far more than iPhone.