Verizon's '5G' home broadband to launch on Oct. 1, free Apple TV 4K included

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
Verizon is making good on promises to deliver what it touts as the world's first commercial 5G deployment, a home broadband service called Verizon 5G Home, announcing on Tuesday that installations will begin on Oct. 1.

Verizon 5G with free Apple TV

Built on Verizon's "proprietary 5G standard," Verizon 5G Home promises at-home speeds of around 300 megabits per second -- up to nearly 1 gigabit per second in some areas -- with no data caps, according to the company. Initial rollout is slated for parts of Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles and Sacramento.

Though the deployment is limited to home networks, it marks an important first step toward wide adoption of mobile 5G. To claim first-to-market bragging rights, Verizon is not using an industry standard flavor of 5G in the October rollout. It is this decision that presumably restricts Verizon to a fixed position network; the telco's proprietary 5G TF standard can only communicate with specialized devices, in this case 5G Home routers.

The company plans to transition to industry-standard 3GPP 5G NR technology in subsequent installations, a move that will enable rapid expansion into new coverage areas and later enable a move into mobile 5G.

"To be first, we encouraged others in the ecosystem to move more quickly at every step," said Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg. "We appreciate the partnership of network equipment makers, device manufacturers, software developers and chip makers in reaching this critical milestone. The entire wireless industry gets to celebrate."

Customers can sign up for Verizon 5G Home starting Thursday morning through a dedicated website aptly named FirstOn5G.com. These "First On 5G" users will be eligible for three free months of service, after which Verizon Wireless customers with qualifying smartphone plans pay $50 per month, while non-customers pay $70 per month.

As announced in August, Verizon is further sweetening the deal by handing out free Apple TV 4K or Google Chromecast Ultra devices at installation, and is paring those streaming boxes with three free months of YouTube TV.

"First on 5G" adopters also receive free white glove installation and equipment, including router upgrades in 2019, specialized customer service and first crack at mobile 5G devices when they become available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Pretty sweet deal especially the free upgrade to industry-standard router. Wish it was available in my neck of the woods.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Any word on dntacaps for those prices?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    Likely not until Thursday at the earliest.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Soli said:
    "...it's promising speeds of "around 300 Mbps" up to 1 Gbps, with no data caps." https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/11/verizon-5g-home/
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    urashid said:
    Soli said:
    "...it's promising speeds of "around 300 Mbps" up to 1 Gbps, with no data caps." https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/11/verizon-5g-home/
    Thanks. Clearly I missed the mention of the data caps when I skimmed it and frankly I'm surprised that Verizon would go this route. Even making it something large, like 1 TiB per month to start, seems more up their street, but I guess they can change that at any time and get away with a bait and switch.
    watto_cobraredgeminipaurashid
  • Reply 6 of 32
    ciacia Posts: 247member
    Soli said:
    urashid said:
    Soli said:
    Thanks. Clearly I missed the mention of the data caps when I skimmed it and frankly I'm surprised that Verizon would go this route. Even making it something large, like 1 TiB per month to start, seems more up their street, but I guess they can change that at any time and get away with a bait and switch.
    1TB is not a large data cap.  3 people in my house, streaming video, web surfing, nothing to out of the ordinary, and we blow past the 1TB limit on Comcast almost every month.  Towards the end of the month we all have to slightly curtail our internet use unless we as a group agree to pay the overage fees.

Doesn't matter the size of the cap, your data use will eventually catch up and surpass it.   3 people streaming 4k video in different rooms at a decent data rate could make even a 10TB cap seem small.
    netrox
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I'm glad that Apple will not offer any 5G products. They use too much battery and use too much data. That's why they waited years to offer 4G iPhone. Same thing.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    This sounds interesting. I like my Xfinity but it’s expensive. I pay $50 extra per month so I don’t have to deal with overages. We usually need 1.5-2tb a month with gig speed which is actually around 700mb down. I wonder if the gigbit speed will be expensive with them. I could get that and HBO and Stars on my Apple TV and make out like a bandit. Everyone streams mostly everything anyway in my home. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Fuck 5g towers. Fuck Verizon and Fuck this Dickless Congress for allowing these towers to be built every other mile across the entire country effectively turning the landscape into a legitimate dystopia. 
    welshdog
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Fuck 5g towers. Fuck Verizon and Fuck this Dickless Congress for allowing these towers to be built every other mile across the entire country effectively turning the landscape into a legitimate dystopia. 
    Not a fan?
    larryaSoliwatto_cobraentropysredgeminipatechprod1gyllama
  • Reply 11 of 32

nunzy said:
    I'm glad that Apple will not offer any 5G products. They use too much battery and use too much data. That's why they waited years to offer 4G iPhone. Same thing.
    You mean besides the fact they’re working with Intel on 5G modems for future iPhones?
    watto_cobraredgeminipanunzy
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Man I would like to poor diesel on my Xfinity modem and throw a match on it.. now when will the be have coverage in Cupertino?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    nunzy said:
    Every mobile handset provider will be racing to 5G.  Larger pipes and lower latency have the potential to offload compute resources to cloud compute and reduce the need for large memory and multi-core, higher speed CPUs.   Imagine a mobile device not needing 64GB+ of storage, 1/4th the RAM and running on a single core at slower clock. You’d have thinner and battery for a week because it would only need beefy GPU and sexy display.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobranunzy
  • Reply 14 of 32
    This news is promising for rural customers. Then again, it will probably take years before people who live out in the country have access to 5G. 
    watto_cobraredgeminipallamawelshdog
  • Reply 15 of 32
    free apple tv? verizon and free do not go together.
    watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Move to the moon and you’ll be happy!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    “proprietary standard”

I’ll put that on the list below “military intelligence” and “stable genius”.

llama
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This is the very least of your problems. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    Although you won't be seeing any of these in your neck of the woods (LOL), most developed nations have legal requirements that oblige people and companies to adhere to policy in terms of what is or is not permitted in public (and private) places.

https://www.huawei.com/en/press-events/news/2018/2/HUAWEI-TubeStar-GSMA-AWARD

Individual antennas for TVs on blocks of flats were banned 20 years ago here to be replaced by collective antennas. There was a time that just looking out over the cityscape would present you with a sea of antennas, for example. Ten years ago carriers were obliged to share their infrastructure to avoid a proliferation of cell towers.

I would hope that similiar solutions to the Huawei option would be part of a US rollout.
    boogerman2000
  • Reply 20 of 32
    This news is promising for rural customers. Then again, it will probably take years before people who live out in the country have access to 5G. 
    The U.S. still has rural areas that can't get anything better than dial-up for internet!

redgeminipallamawelshdog