Apple Watch Series 4 in 40mm and 44mm sizes confirmed in sitemap leak

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2020
The Apple Watch Series 4 will be offered in slightly larger sizes than in previous generations, Wednesday's products page sitemap leak reveals, with this year's releases supposedly offered in 40-millimeter and 44-millimeter variants.

Surfacing early on Wednesday, the sitemap includes listings for two different sizes of Apple Watch, but with slightly different dimensions from last year. Spotted by Slashleaks, the sitemap lists accessories for new 44mm and 40mm versions of the Apple Watch Series 4.

The Apple Watch Series 3, the previous generation that also appears in the sitemap, was available in 38mm and 42mm versions, just as with previous models, with that version continuing to be offered in its existing sizes. At present, it isn't clear if the 42mm size will have an upgrade to Series 4 specs.

The change in size for the Series 4 range was tipped in rumors and practically confirmed in an image leak from Apple itself in August. September's beta for watchOS 5 also indicated a change in resolution for the display to 384 by 480 pixels, which would certainly indicate the use of a lagrer screen.

Apple is expected to unveil the Apple Watch Series 4 at its "Gather Round" event later today, alongside three new iPhones named the "iPhone XS," "XS Max," and "iPhone XC."

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Nice! The Apple Watch is what’s really got my attention this year. Not so much the iPhones, for once. I can’t wait for the watch and just may upgrade from my S2 Nike. I hope they offer a Nike + version! 
    newBelieverdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Does that slight size increase mean existing bands won't fit either model?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    "Apple Watch Series 4 in 40mm, 42mm, and 44mm sizes confirmed in sitemap leak" Might want to fix the title. Series 4, from the looks of it and what was written here, will not come in 42mm.
    svanstrom
  • Reply 4 of 38
    jamiel said:
    If it comes in 42mm, those would fit. Wouldn’t it be great and un-Apple-like if they somehow found a way for at least the current 42mm bands to fit the new 40 and 44mm watches? 🙄
  • Reply 5 of 38
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    jamiel said:
    It looks like the bezels around the displays will be narrower (as with the later versions of iPhone), which would allow for larger displays (38 —> 40 mm and 42 —> 44 mm) without a change in the watch case design itself. 
    svanstromkidrock2199jbdragontjwolfcommand_f
  • Reply 6 of 38
    jamiel said:
    The size changes are most likely from a bigger screen from smaller bezels rather than a larger body.
    radarthekatjbdragoncommand_f
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Apple measures their watches by the height of the case...so if the that's the "case" the case will be 2mm taller....

edited September 2018 svanstromhcrefugeecommand_fdoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Yes!  I love my first edition stainless Apple Watch, but I am so ready for a refresh, and form factor is really the biggest motivation.
    they could even go bigger imho.
    Waterproof was attractive, but cellular doesn’t mean too much to me since i
    lug my 6+ everywhere, including workouts.
    performance I’ll doubtless notice, but wasn’t driving me nuts.
    I wish the stainless steel and better crystal were a cheaper option. Surely they can do this for under $100 where you can buy a normal watch with those features.
    I know... tiered pricing is an art.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    This just gets better and better. I'm really looking forward to today.
    kidrock2199
  • Reply 10 of 38
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    spheric said:
    jamiel said:
    It looks like the bezels around the displays will be narrower (as with the later versions of iPhone), which would allow for larger displays (38 —> 40 mm and 42 —> 44 mm) without a change in the watch case design itself. 

The mm count is the lug to lug width, not display size. 

Image result for apple watch sizes
    edited September 2018 sphericspace2001hcrefugeecommand_fdouglas baileydoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 38
    jamiel said:
    The size changes are most likely from a bigger screen from smaller bezels rather than a larger body.
    Someone on MacRumors said the watch would have to get slightly taller if the bezels were reduced to keep the bezels symmetrical. In that case the bands would still work. I’m guessing a slightly taller but not watch wouldn’t really look much bigger on the wrist?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Take my money for the Series 4 now Apple Lol.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Spoilers gotta spoil. Geez, hang on for just 4 more hours and tell the spoilers to go pound sand. It's like when you were a kid and one of your siblings determined where "Santa" was hiding all the unwrapped presents. Do you really want to spoil the surprise? Why not just let it be fun and enjoy the moment as it unwraps.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderpatchythepiratecommand_f
  • Reply 14 of 38
    None are round.
    command_f
  • Reply 15 of 38
    dewme said:
    Spoilers gotta spoil. Geez, hang on for just 4 more hours and tell the spoilers to go pound sand. It's like when you were a kid and one of your siblings determined where "Santa" was hiding all the unwrapped presents. Do you really want to spoil the surprise? Why not just let it be fun and enjoy the moment as it unwraps.
    Clearly you need to visit a different website then. Clearly a news AND rumor website....
  • Reply 16 of 38
    dewme said:
    Damn all these rumour websites that are forcing me to look at them.
    StrangeDaysWhiskeyAPPLEcidercommand_f
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Hopefully the rumored 44 will have a bigger case; as is, my 42 looks tiny on my wrist. 
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Bigger case pls
    toysandme
  • Reply 19 of 38
    lbarry74 said:
    Hopefully the rumored 44 will have a bigger case; as is, my 42 looks tiny on my wrist. 
    That's a new one. Have never heard anyone complain that the AW was too small...
    command_fbonobob
  • Reply 20 of 38
    lbarry74 said:
    That's a new one. Have never heard anyone complain that the AW was too small...
    There are human beings with large wrists and fingers. I really want to see this 44mm in person.