No sign of updates to Mac or iPad Pro in leaked Apple website file

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2018
The inadvertently leaked site map from the Apple accessories page has revealed a treasure trove of information about the new iPhone lineup expected to debut -- but there is nothing on it suggesting that there are new iPad Pros coming, nor is there any indication that there is a Mac refresh happening at the event.

Early Wednesday, Apple exposed a XML file, confirming names for the imminent iPhone lineup expected to be announced on Wednesday afternoon. However, after perusing the file, there appears to be nothing in the way of Macs or iMacs in a document that otherwise laid bare the iPhone names, as well as the presence of 40mm, 42mm, and 44mm Apple Watch Series 4 devices at the event.

While updates to the iMac 4K, iMac 5K line seem probable in short order, and a reveal of a new Mac mini oriented towards the "pro" consumer plus a low-cost MacBook refresh has been rumored, less clear are reveal dates. For the last few years, the iMac 4K and 5K have been updated in October, either at an event or more quietly with a press release.

The Mac mini hasn't been updated for years, and even the last update is considered to be a regression from the previous model.

As Apple has since brought the online store down in preparation for the iPhone launches, it is difficult to verify if the leaked XML is genuine or complete. However regarding accuracy, recent rumors have suggested the same "iPhone XS" and "iPhone XS Max" naming scheme that was found in the file.

Apple will be holding its "Gather Round" reveal event later today, with the headline products expected to include an updated 5.8-inch OLED "iPhone XS," a 6.5-inch "XS Max" model, and a value 6.1-inch LCD-based "iPhone Xr."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ...is it reasonable to expect any new macs may only be supported on the ongoing beta mojave (I would hope not), or perhaps simply to spread out fall marketing buzz between back to school and Black Friday...?

Is this the time of year to buy for pros wanting upgrade stability - before Applecare and perhaps new hardware support may be limited to a an ongoing beta OS...?

edited September 2018
  • Reply 2 of 20
    vdubsvdubs Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple trolls? I would expect a tech company like Apple to have a restful API for this and not a WSDL. XML file leaked.... ;)
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Apple is doing what is best for Apple.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Uh oh, wait for the shitstorm.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's be nice to have a few 'leaks' about Macs lol.  I'm patiently waiting to buy a new Mac Pro in 2019  ....   if it ends up being 2020 I will be disappointed.  I love my Trash Can but want new I/Os to match my MBPs and peripherals now.  Not to mention full hardware HVEC support.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ...I'm hoping we may see surprises in an iPad mini with Apple Pencil support, and indeed a Mac Mini that seems an upgrade from the 2011 model with discrete graphics, user configurable ram to 16GB, i7 (with upgrade options to 4/6 core) and matched user adjustable industry standard (raid capable) drive bays for redundancy and of course the new ports, all for under $1k...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I'm patiently waiting to buy a new iPad Mini Pro in 2020!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    New iPad announcement coming soon with new Macbook.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Hoping the iMacs are big enough to have an event for them in October, there was a rumor for a "high performance display" of some sort, makes me wonder if it's ProMotion. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    vdubs said:
    Apple trolls? I would expect a tech company like Apple to have a restful API for this and not a WSDL. XML file leaked.... ;)
    It’s a static XML sitemap file, not a WSDL describing a web service. Different data expressed in XML for different purposes.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gbtbag@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    We’ve been told several times that my beloved Mac Mini is “still part of the Apple family.”  If that’s true, it’s treated like the black sheep of the family excluded from the will.  I love that little guy.  Not enough people know what a great computer it is.

We also need a new iPad mini, Pro or not.  Instead, they’re getting bigger.  Some of us like the portability of a smaller tablet.  I take mine everywhere in my little back pack, which can’t  accommodate a larger model. 

The largest iPhone screen isn’t big enough and other iPads are too big.
    laytech
  • Reply 12 of 20
    We’ve been told several times that my beloved Mac Mini is “still part of the Apple family.”  If that’s true, it’s treated like the black sheep of the family excluded from the will.  I love that little guy.  Not enough people know what a great computer it is.

We also need a new iPad mini, Pro or not.  Instead, they’re getting bigger.  Some of us like the portability of a smaller tablet.  I take mine everywhere in my little back pack, which can’t  accommodate a larger model. 

You need to change your screen name or you’re going to be inundated with spam.
    williamlondonstompy
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    My iMac is turning 9 this Fall, and my 9.7" iPad Pro has a cracked display, so I'm going to be a bit disappointed if we don't hear about new models of either, as those are the only things I'm interested in upgrading soon/next.

Also, not really interested in iPhone updates, but it would be nice to see something I can replace my iPhone SE with when I feel I may need to. If they decide to end-of-life it, I may just get an Watch and hang onto the SE as long as possible.
    sdbryan
  • Reply 14 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Considering they are Intel Chips that are supposedly infringing on Qualcomm patents, shouldn't Qualcomm be going after Intel? Apple didn't make the chips. Apple only paid Intel to use them. If anyone should be sued, it should be Intel, not Apple.
    I'm patiently waiting to buy a new iPad Mini Pro in 2020!
    Good luck in what I think will be a be a very long wait. You want a iPad Mini, get a iPhone XS Max at 6.5". It's almost as big as a Mini anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    mjtomlin said:
    My iMac is turning 9 this Fall, and my 9.7" iPad Pro has a cracked display, so I'm going to be a bit disappointed if we don't hear about new models of either, as those are the only things I'm interested in upgrading soon/next.

Also, not really interested in iPhone updates, but it would be nice to see something I can replace my iPhone SE with when I feel I may need to. If they decide to end-of-life it, I may just get an Watch and hang onto the SE as long as possible.
    Then the only thing that might catch your interest in today's announcements is the whether the phrase "and that's our lineup for 2018" is uttered.

Even before these latest leaks, I couldn't imagine Apple discussing Macs or iPads at this event.
    edited September 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 20
    vulpine said:

My needs are simple. I want a computer that runs macOS, and whose memory, storage, and video card I can upgrade every couple of years. I'd be willing to spend up to the $2000 price range for it.

The modern Apple doesn't sell anything that fits this. I'd even consider buying a Mac mini with an eGPU, but the memory's not upgradeable, and the Mac mini doesn't support an eGPU unless they update it to Thunderbolt 3. I hate the idea of buying an iMac which has a laptop-grade video card and has practically no upgrade path to keep it current, other than to replace it with a new one every few years.... <hacintosh stuff removed>

Apple makes it really difficult for me to love them and to continue to buy their products.

Realistically, the only future Mac I can imagine with any user upgradeable internals is the 2019 Mac Pro. I serioiualy doubt it will be $2k.

The other Apple alternative is to upgrade your computer they way MacBook owners do: when your current machine isn't enough, 1. buy what is 2. migrate the data 3. sell the old. I don't have a laptop, but that's what I do.

I've built plenty of boxes in my time, I just don't want to any more, too many other things competing for my time.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 17 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, Apple has sent a very clear message about the future of the Mac this morning. No Mac hardware announcements, no new Mac Mini, not even an iMac refresh with new processors. Are you getting the message now?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, Apple has sent a very clear message about the future of the Mac this morning. No Mac hardware announcements, no new Mac Mini, not even an iMac refresh with new processors. Are you getting the message now?
    October is generally iMac refresh time. Has been for a bit, now.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 20

Totally agree, when is the new Mac mini coming? I don't need a monitor, I don't need a pro, I need a mac mini that will work with my two monitors. One with built in mic and hopefully more power.