Apple Watch Series 4 is here with full-screen OLED display, slimmer chassis

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    kerpow said:
    I've never seen a more impressive piece of tech that I want the least.
    More for us.
    patchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Can wear these because of my job so I’ll stick with my Rolex Explorer II
    No one cares about your Rolex. Not even sure the point of this comment beyond trying to show off. 

I have the Series 3 LTE and it’s been great. Going from the Series 0 to the 3 is night and day. Didn’t expect to upgrade for a long while but this Series 4 has me seriously reconsidering it. 
    edited September 2018 StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacdoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 59
    nht said:
    Thinner is good.  I prefer 36mm dress watches but I'll take thinner.

Gold stainless...mmmm...but probably just do ALU since I don't expect these to be long term keepers. 
    I had stainless steel for series 0, then aluminum for Series 3, but the display scratches waaay easier. I'm going back to SS. Plus the steel finish looks so much better IMO.
    supadav03
  • Reply 24 of 59
    kerpow said:
    More for us.
    Indeed. I hope you buy them all, my Apple stock will appreciate it.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:

Gold stainless...mmmm...but probably just do ALU since I don't expect these to be long term keepers. 
    I had stainless steel for series 0, then aluminum for Series 3, but the display scratches waaay easier. I'm going back to SS. Plus the steel finish looks so much better IMO.
    Hmmm...true, I've got scuffs on my series 3 face.  But if I'm replacing every year...
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Cool story, bro.
    supadav03kingofsomewherehotStrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 59
    jcs2305 said:
    So you felt the need to name drop 8k watch...cool.
    It’s an attempt to show off. Like the guys who claim to have (at most 5) Apple stock and think they are big traders.

Loving the watch though. Might buy one when released.
    supadav03StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    eightzero said:
    Ah...just announced all bands fit. I feared otherwise.
    Yes, the watch is 2mm taller, but the same width. I wish they'd shown how current apps will look on the new display until developers can update them. I wonder if they will be scaled up, or kept in their original windows (light green and white below). In the case of the 40mm (dark green), they should easily be able to use the original 42mm display (light green) area without any scaling. Orange is both the new 44mm display area, as well as the 40mm bezel.

edited September 2018 supadav03rossb2doozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 59
    nht said:

Huh, I wear my aluminum series 0 every day, and I have zero scratches.  It's very durable.
    urashidGeorgeBMacSpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:

Huh, I wear my aluminum series 0 every day, and I have zero scratches.  It's very durable.
    Mine are only noticeable when black and at an angle.  Which happens more than I would have thought but when on I can't see them.  I guess if I was rougher with my watch it would be more banged up.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    kerpow said:
    kerpow said:
    More for us.
    Indeed. I hope you buy them all, my Apple stock will appreciate it.
    Good to know, Mr. Buffet. Got any stock tips?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 59

nht said:

That may be the case, but it's not up for the debate -- the sapphire crystal screen is much harder on the SS model. In under a year of normal use, my glass S3 display has noticeable scratches, some large, while in two years of identical use the sapphire crystal S0 does not.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 33 of 59
    My wallet's gonna hurt...
    GeorgeBMaccityguide
  • Reply 34 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I gotta say, the intro video showing the Apple Campus really shows how impressive that building is.
    I really wish there was a documentary of its construction.
    jony0doozydozen
  • Reply 35 of 59
    nht said:

I have had the aluminium for 3 years. No screen scratches though. Its tough glass, same as the iphones. I have knocked my watch mainly against wood and steel, but no noticeable scratches anywhere. In theory these screens are hard to scratch, since they are harder on the mohs scale than steel or wood.

It is also worth mentioning that steel itself can get scratched on that Apple watch, although I hear they can be polished out. The space grey aluminium does not show any scratches i can see, and i am sure the dark colour helps.
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 59
    eightzero said:
    Ah...just announced all bands fit. I feared otherwise.
    Eventually I figure they'll be forced to change it up (and people will bitch), but credit to Apple for thinking this through so well.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 37 of 59
    jcs2305 said:
    Did you bother to read “all” of my post or did you get stuck?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jcs2305 said:
    Did you bother to read “all” of my post or did you get stuck?
    The point is the name drop. You could've just said "[I can't] wear these because of my job so I’ll stick with my [traditional watch.]"
    doozydozen
  • Reply 39 of 59
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    So you're saying your job sucks but it pays well. Good for you.

For that money you could have bought Apple Watch Series 4 for yourself, your family, and most of the people you know. But sure, an $8K watch on your wrist is really quite impressive ...

... to thieves.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 40 of 59
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    And assuredly you make very sure it is always in plain view !
    doozydozen