Apple debuts 5.8-inch iPhone XS and 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max with OLED screens

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    Why should we care about Core ML?

Improved speech recognition, and facial recognition are the two uses that jumped out...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 160
    Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

"Magical" is in your mind.
    Whining? I don't see the guy as whining, he's just stating he is not impressed.

They’re literally still presenting the iPhone, it’s not even finished yet — just covering the cameras now. It’s whining, and preemptive whining at that. 
    And then more whining from multiple people about the initial whining. Would anyone like some gouda or brie?
    tyler82JaiOh81
  • Reply 23 of 160
    YoRHa said:
    Holy shit! Apple has the Lytro camera capability now! You can change depth of field AFTER THE FACT! Steve Jobs’ meeting with them finally paid off!

They’re not actually lightfield cameras though, so it’s just simulated in the software.
    larz2112SoliSpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 160

Why should we care about Core ML?

Improved speech recognition, and facial recognition are the two uses that jumped out...
    Siri, visual object and handwriting detection, lots and lots of things. Take a glance at this:
    https://machinelearning.apple.com/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 160
    larz2112 said:
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

They’re literally still presenting the iPhone, it’s not even finished yet — just covering the cameras now. It’s whining, and preemptive whining at that. 
    And then more whining from multiple people about the initial whining. Would anyone like some gouda or brie?
    I would, actually. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 160
    YoRHa said:
    I guess no one gets to say, “Apple doesn’t care about Max” anymore. Still, it’d be nice if they actually released new computers. Or attempted to make iOS have feature parity with OS X.
    They have released new computers, including Macs.

If you think iOS is supposed to have feature parity with macOS, then you don't understand the platforms very well.
    fastasleepmike1tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 160
    Did they say whether the Xs has 3D touch?  They specifically said the Xr does not, but I missed part of the Xs discussion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 160
    $1,100 for the 64GB iPhone max? They really have lost their minds over there. Could have at least made it 128GB. 
    dipdog3
  • Reply 29 of 160

Nope, it's whining. "It's not magical! I'm boooored! Exciiite me!". 
    edited September 2018 fastasleeplkrupppscooter63jony0Rayz2016radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 160

larz2112 said:

This kind of response is so predicatable. Every time someone posts anything other than a positive comment, someone feels the need to respond, chide them, and/or "school" them about why their opinon is misguided. It happens ALL THE TIME on this site. The Apple Insider air is thick with smug and pretention. Get over yourself. your opinion is no more valid or invalid than anyone elses. And yes, I realize the irony and hypocracy of my post, but it hopefully serves to amplify my point.

FWIW, I've been in the "meh" crowd about Apple events for the past few years.
    No, it doesn't amplify your point. He stated his opinion that he's bored and it's not "magical" anymore. I stated my opinion that it's predictable whining and he'll never be fulfilled because the growth spurt of early-iPhone is over and we're now in a mature product category, that they don't have the same newness factor of a brand new product category. You then stated your opinion about my opinion about his opinion.

If you had more of a point it was lost.
    edited September 2018 fastasleepclaire1pscooter63jony0Rayz2016radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 160
    seankill said:
    $1,100 for the 64GB iPhone max? They really have lost their minds over there. Could have at least made it 128GB. 
    Huh? It's 100 bucks more than the regular-size, why is that crazy? Famous last words tho, you guys said the same thing last year about the $1000 X. 
    fastasleepmike1tmayjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 160
    Where have all of the reasonably sized phones gone? I don't want to carry an iPad in my pocket.  Guess my 5se will have to soldier on some more.  Same with my iPad mini.
    muthuk_vanalingamchris totclaire1
  • Reply 33 of 160
    I was hoping for a new iPad Pro :-(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 160
    I was actually surprised when I heard them speak the words “Ten Ess” after days of talk of “Excess” LOL
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 160
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 160
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    mike1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 160
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

These are just the kids that need that new, flashy object every 15 minutes in order to keep their attention-span going.  Thankfully, no one listens to them.

These are solid updates to an already amazing phone.  Never thought I'd see the day when we see teraflop-performance in a phone.  I'm enjoying my 5-month-old iPX, and while an impulse-buy for me would certainly be possible, I'm just going to wait another year and really get excited for what CPU/GPU tech comes out.  Pretty exciting stuff!
    tmaylkrupppscooter63fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 160
    How much would I have loved it if there were a 5 inch version of the Xs...
    ibillwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 160
    I enjoyed watching this event, there was much to like, and I'm making plans to purchase these products. But man oh man are these events too long - this one over an hour and a half. Yes, yes, I know they want to tout their latest achievements, and yes, yes it is remarkable they are recyclable and Apple is 100% renewable energy, and yes yes games and A/R are fantastic. I like Tim's style, and the clicker bit to start was funny (although the depiction of the runner asking Siri for directions, waiting a while for her to respond, and then realizing Siri isn't really helping was painfully accurate...) but can we get these down to an hour, tops? Time is Krugerrands, sheelpe. 
  • Reply 40 of 160
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    sflocal said:

These are just the kids that need that new, flashy object every 15 minutes in order to keep their attention-span going.  Thankfully, no one listens to them.

These are solid updates to an already amazing phone.  Never thought I'd see the day when we see teraflop-performance in a phone.  I'm enjoying my 5-month-old iPX, and while an impulse-buy for me would certainly be possible, I'm just going to wait another year and really get excited for what CPU/GPU tech comes out.  Pretty exciting stuff!
    OK, I give in. The Xs will get me to part with my trusty 6s. The dual SIM did it (a must-have for traveling). The IP68, camera+processing, and OLED are icing. The A12 is the cherry on top. Well done, Apple.
    jony0watto_cobra