Apple announces colorful new 6.1-inch iPhone XR with full-screen Liquid Retina Display and...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    This is so strange and confusing.

A lot of people won't know the difference between this and the iPhone X/Xs.

It should have been the same screen size as SE for differentiation and price. I bet it would have sold more as a tiny tech packed device.

I do wonder if it will outsell the Xs and Xs Max because of colors alone. I can see people reaching for their favorite color iPhone even though they can afford a Xs Max.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    claire1 said:
    This is so strange and confusing.

A lot of people won't know the difference between this and the iPhone X/Xs.

It should have been the same screen size as SE for differentiation and price. I bet it would have sold more as a tiny tech packed device.

I do wonder if it will outsell the Xs and Xs Max because of colors alone. I can see people reaching for their favorite color iPhone even though they can afford a Xs Max.
    1) Was that an issue with the previous run of colored iPhones? 

2) I think it could out sell them all. While it's lacking a lot of the tech in the others, I'm not sure the average person cares that much about those other features.
    tycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The tenor will be the most popular, almost as flash as the OLED versions, but really on price alone.

There is no small phone option. Very annoying. Obviously all those years of not upgrading the SE finally gave Cook the justification he wanted to tighten up his supply lines. “Look, no one is buying the SE anymore!”
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 24 of 68
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

Ok.... magic morning? All I can say is truly evolutionary. I will happily stick to my SE and X. Maybe upgrade form my AW 3 cell.
    Honestly, I was expecting more. Maybe Pencil support for the Xs. Or let’s say a charging mat. iPads? MacBooks? TV subscription? Buller?

OK, I guess I was expecting too much and I will stick with fall detection.
    The keynote was jam packed with features so anything else would have made the keynote even longer.

My guess is a "Fall" keynote with iPads, Macs and possibly new AirPods and AirPower release date..
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 68
    OK, so when do we get our updated SE?
    THIS! I think the XR will be perfect for my wife and we will definitely be ordering one.
    However, I have an iphone7 that I have not cared for since the day I got it.
    I work (sometimes physically) for a living and have no interest in a phone bigger than the 5S/SE. 
    Why cant they make an iphone sized phone again? I have "large" hands and still cannot comfortably use my 7 one-handed, like I did the 5S without the constant fear of dropping it.
    APPLE, if you are reading, PLEASE make an iphone XRsport!  overall dimensions similar to the SE, full screen, XR specs & cams. Charge me the same price & I will still gladly pay for it. 
    Hell, make an XSSport the same as iphone XS in a smaller package and I would pay $999 for that!
    Just please put the PHONE back in iPHONE!

Gobnu
  • Reply 26 of 68
    6BQ56BQ5 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    6BQ5 said:
    I'm not able to watch the presentation live. Does anyone know the dimensions of the lower priced Xr? Is it the same size as the "non-Plus" sized iPhone6? Or, would I be better served by the Xs? Thanks!
    Remember these are measured on the diagonal so the extra display height can be tricky. Based on the size it's a little wider than the 4.7" and 5.8" iPhones, but not as wide as the 5.5" and 6.5" iPhones.
    I didn't want to compare based on screen size alone. By removing the home button and reformatting the screen I understood the screen got larger ... but, I wasn't sure if the outline dimensions of the overall phone changed.

I like the overall dimensions of the SE and if it was more powerful than my 6S I would upgrade to it. However, it seems like a lateral move. I can still move up to a 7 or 8 and those would still be nice upgrades, especially for the water ingression resistance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 68
    arlomedia said:
    6BQ5 said:
    I'm not able to watch the presentation live. Does anyone know the dimensions of the lower priced Xr? Is it the same size as the "non-Plus" sized iPhone6? Or, would I be better served by the Xs? Thanks!
    From the few brief side-by-side photos, it looked slightly larger than the Xs, which is considerably larger than the 6.
    yup. appears to be slightly smaller size than the 8plus overall, but with a bigger screen (no home button)
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Ok.... magic morning? All I can say is truly evolutionary. I will happily stick to my SE and X. Maybe upgrade form my AW 3 cell.
    Honestly, I was expecting more. Maybe Pencil support for the Xs. Or let’s say a charging mat. iPads? MacBooks? TV subscription? Buller?

OK, I guess I was expecting too much and I will stick with fall detection.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Yet iterative improvement is how Apple rolls, and has always done so. Even the second Macintosh was an iterative improvement over the first. MacWorld wrote about this approach almost ten years ago:

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 68
    entropys said:
    The tenor will be the most popular, almost as flash as the OLED versions, but really on price alone.
    How'd that work out for the 8 vs the more-expensive X? Even while cheaper, it proved less popular.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 68
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Apple just telegraphed the only path to growing earnings in any substansive way iscontinued price gouging. The market is largely saturated so jacking up the ASP is the message.

The watch is interesting but I see nothing tojustify the expense of the handheld Playstation with attached camera. That is what they were selling.

Do not want Face ID, fake Bokeh,  AR, fake wide stereo or anything tied to rental music.

Apple remains a one trick pony and arthritis is setting in on the Jesus Phone.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    amarkap said:
    Sorry...but there is just too much talk about the cameras on the phone.  This is a terrible event....Watch series 4 was awesome but iphone is just becoming more awesome in areas that does not really help sell new phones or dare I say anyone cares about.  Of course, just my opinion.  But stock is taking a beating too.  Absolutely nothing here that would want me to upgrade to these new X ‘S’ phones.   Yup, there will always be that one guy who says this...and this time it was me.

Thought too maybe something Mac Mini related....maybe new iPads...maybe something totally new.  Something exciting but Nope.  Apple not a good showing...sorry.

Cameras are all most smartphone buyers care about. Maybe not you or me, but most.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 68
    davgreg said:
    Apple just telegraphed the only path to growing earnings in any substansive way iscontinued price gouging. The market is largely saturated so jacking up the ASP is the message.

The watch is interesting but I see nothing tojustify the expense of the handheld Playstation with attached camera. That is what they were selling.
    Because a larger display with more pixels (keeping the same PPI), a better mic, better speaker, better processing, built-in EKG, more advanced Crown, and a better accelerometer that can detect a fall (and probably many other things) all while keeping or increasing the battery life, and a much larger ceramic back (not plastic like it was on the Sport models) all have no additional costs to them. :eyeroll:
    edited September 2018 ronnjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 68
    At least they're still selling the 7 and 8. 

No, I don't want face recognition.  Yes, I do want a bezel. 

I also want the headphone jack.  Maybe I'll just replace my 6+ with a 6s+.  I hate the new phones.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    This iPhone should be a huge seller. I'm thinking of upgrading to it, even though the X looks pretty over the top.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Who in their right mind is buying the XS  :D  :D

The XR in the UK is £800 for 128GB and you'd have to shell out £1,149 for the 256GB XS  :# :# :o

Crazy. Spec sheet is basically the same.
    macpluspluscanukstorm
  • Reply 36 of 68
    What does the 'R' stand for? I looked at a thesaurus and the only synonym for color that starts with 'R' is race… and I'm certain that's not Apple's reasoning.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Soli said:
    What does the 'R' stand for? I looked at a thesaurus and the only synonym for color that starts with 'R' is race… and I'm certain that's not Apple's reasoning.
    Rainbows 
    Soliarlomedia
  • Reply 38 of 68
    fallenjt said:
    Soli said:
    Rainbows 
    That works for me.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Soli said:

Others have said it stands for "retina" with the Xs phones being "super retina" OLED displays
    Solijony0
  • Reply 40 of 68
    ronn said:
    Soli said:

Others have said it stands for "retina" with the Xs phones being "super retina" OLED displays
    That fits, and I thought of that first, but they've had the Retina display since the iPhone 4 so I was hoping for something more substantial.