Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    Xs Max in New Zealand = $2099.

Good luck with that, Apple šŸ˜¶
  • Reply 42 of 160
    hentaiboy said:
    Xs Max in New Zealand = $2099.

Good luck with that, Apple šŸ˜¶
    At the risk of a reprimand from the mods, I think it best to buy here in the US before the tariffs hit. 
  • Reply 43 of 160
    For someone that trades phones on a 3 to 4 year cycle, I am excited to upgrade to the Xs from my 6.  In my opinion the phone lineup from top to bottom is one of the best ever as it covers a range of budgets and tech. This will be a huge year end for apple sales - especially with mac and ipad upgrades expected to come before Xmas. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 160
    DougEDougE Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Third - The Xs and Xs Max are the only ones that actually make sense.  

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    edited September 2018 blurpbleepbloopibill
  • Reply 45 of 160
    Need to know more about iPhones XS Model A1920 & Model A1921 Cellular and Wireless modem, who makes it, Intel or Qualcomm? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 160
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    So, what happened to AirPower? Over a year and NOTHING?
    welshdogfastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 160
    For me IP68 is huge! Having to spend a lot of time with my kids on a beach, water parks, pool, I am upgrading just for this feature alone. 
    Wonder if there is any implication on warranty though, will water damage be finally respected?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 160
    GG1 said:
    sflocal said:
    Trying so hard to be excited. Itā€™s just not ā€œmagicalā€ anymore. Loads of meh...
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

"Magical" is in your mind.
    These are just the kids that need that new, flashy object every 15 minutes in order to keep their attention-span going.  Thankfully, no one listens to them.

These are solid updates to an already amazing phone.  Never thought I'd see the day when we see teraflop-performance in a phone.  I'm enjoying my 5-month-old iPX, and while an impulse-buy for me would certainly be possible, I'm just going to wait another year and really get excited for what CPU/GPU tech comes out.  Pretty exciting stuff!
    OK, I give in. The Xs will get me to part with my trusty 6s. The dual SIM did it (a must-have for traveling). The IP68, camera+processing, and OLED are icing. The A12 is the cherry on top. Well done, Apple.
    I'll also update my 6 ā€“ but I did not fully get the difference between Xs and Xr (what does the r stand for anyway). Is it only the display? And is the camera system so different?  Quite a price difference for just the display and maybe marginal camera differences? Or did I miss something? More colour options are probably not the reason for a lower price.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 160
    Awesome keynote! Was really excited by the way they capitalized on the bigger iPhone Xs and brought feature parity to the 'iPhone 8' price point. These phones are the fastest, and most forward thinking in the world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 160
    Trying so hard to be excited. Itā€™s just not ā€œmagicalā€ anymore. Loads of meh...
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

Whining? I don't see the guy as whining, he's just stating he is not impressed.

Theyā€™re literally still presenting the iPhone, itā€™s not even finished yet ā€” just covering the cameras now. Itā€™s whining, and preemptive whining at that. 
    Theyā€™ve become very predictable over the years. After the camera, thereā€™s not much left to announce except price, storage configs and product availability timeframe. 
  • Reply 51 of 160
    Iā€™m assuming the 512GB iPhone Xs Max is $1,499.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 52 of 160
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    macapfel said:
    GG1 said:
    sflocal said:

These are just the kids that need that new, flashy object every 15 minutes in order to keep their attention-span going.  Thankfully, no one listens to them.

These are solid updates to an already amazing phone.  Never thought I'd see the day when we see teraflop-performance in a phone.  I'm enjoying my 5-month-old iPX, and while an impulse-buy for me would certainly be possible, I'm just going to wait another year and really get excited for what CPU/GPU tech comes out.  Pretty exciting stuff!
    OK, I give in. The Xs will get me to part with my trusty 6s. The dual SIM did it (a must-have for traveling). The IP68, camera+processing, and OLED are icing. The A12 is the cherry on top. Well done, Apple.
    I'll also update my 6 ā€“ but I did not fully get the difference between Xs and Xr (what does the r stand for anyway). Is it only the display? And is the camera system so different?  Quite a price difference for just the display and maybe marginal camera differences? Or did I miss something? More colour options are probably not the reason for a lower price.
    I also thought the differences were the display and camera system. All three new phones have the A12. I didn't catch if the Xr has dual SIM.

Edit: yes, the Xr supports dual SIM. (Tmay beat me to it.)
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 160
    macapfel said:
    GG1 said:
    sflocal said:

Single camera and LCD screen are the only difference.

You can save some money and buy a used X instead.
  • Reply 54 of 160
    dipdog3 said:
    Single camera and LCD screen are the only difference.

You can save some money and buy a used X instead.
    IP67 vs IP68
    Smaller battery, 1.5 hour shorter life on a full charge
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 160
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    GG1 said:
    macapfel said:
    GG1 said:
    sflocal said:

I also thought the differences were the display and camera system. All three new phones have the A12. I didn't catch if the Xr has dual SIM.
    Only models for the Chinese market support physical dual SIM. Everything else get eSIM for the second.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 160
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    Thatā€™s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
  • Reply 57 of 160
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Whats interesting is the Apple website is mentioning "new FaceID" that is "faster" for the iPhone XR.

I was hoping for a far more accurate FaceID with twice as many dots projecting. But a faster FaceID is a big deal and I had a feeling it would be faster but wasn't mentioned.

Are you kidding me? The camera was blowing everyone away and $1,000 is an absolute steal for a magazine quality photo camera and movie quality video camera. I will bet money small or even big studios will film movies on iPhone Xs!

Oh and did I mention it's also an iPhone? $1,000 is freaking ridiculous. I remember 10 years ago trying to save up $500 for a camera that only shoots photos of less quality with almost zero storage. That Bokeh slider made me feel like it was 2028 and I felt a small "iPhone 2007" moment there. Very magical. 
    fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 160
    Help the Earth by continuing to use 5s or re-cycle... Got a mixed message during intro....
  • Reply 59 of 160

larz2112 said:

This kind of response is so predicatable. Every time someone posts anything other than a positive comment, someone feels the need to respond, chide them, and/or "school" them about why their opinon is misguided. It happens ALL THE TIME on this site. The Apple Insider air is thick with smug and pretention. Get over yourself. your opinion is no more valid or invalid than anyone elses. And yes, I realize the irony and hypocracy of my post, but it hopefully serves to amplify my point.

FWIW, I've been in the "meh" crowd about Apple events for the past few years.
    larz2112 said:

This kind of response is so predicatable. Every time someone posts anything other than a positive comment, someone feels the need to respond, chide them, and/or "school" them about why their opinon is misguided. It happens ALL THE TIME on this site. The Apple Insider air is thick with smug and pretention. Get over yourself. your opinion is no more valid or invalid than anyone elses. And yes, I realize the irony and hypocracy of my post, but it hopefully serves to amplify my point.

FWIW, I've been in the "meh" crowd about Apple events for the past few years.
    I fully agree. And all the rumors did indeed ruin the presentation LOL The only surprise was some of the Watch features. Everyone pretty much had the phone pegged right down to the dual sim tray, which I have also become ā€œmehā€ to beginning with the 7. Looks like my 6s Plus will get another year of use, possibly two or three if they continue with that rear camera module that looks like it was glued on.

Seriously, why are the edges of it so sharp yet the rest of the phone is beautifully rounded? And they even made it like that on the Xr! The best looking one (aside from the flat cameras from SE and older style) is on the 7. I love how they created the camera housing directly out of the aluminum. Nice, smooth finish. Not these new phones. Ugly! And no, Iā€™m NOT an Android fan. Iā€™ve been strictly Apple since the 3G and even before that with iPods. Jony has lost it. 
  • Reply 60 of 160
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    AppleZulu said:
    This seems to be an account created just to be unimpressed with everything Apple does. Perhaps just an unhappy person or maybe an account operating in service to an Apple competitor.
    Come on. I've been watching Apple Keynotes since the first broadcast (or narrowcast).  They used to be signature events - and I got pulled right into the Reality Distortion Field along with everyone else. 

But Cook isn't Jobs and steady, predictable iteration of a mature tech product may be (and was) kinda interesting, especially if you've got a need to fill and money to burn - but it simply isn't all that compelling a watch - especially when the most revolutionary feature is a phone price topping out at $1449....  ...as in literally "Take (a lot of) my money."

So just the annual show with the same general format and lots of the same faces and, same faster, bigger, smaller, better... ...new colors, etc. like every year... ...so yeah, OK, and will likely achieve its marketing purposes, but also kinda meh. So with your and other arbiters of what's a real post and what isn't's kind permission, I also declare myself a little un-wowed. 

Still, we're so starved that if there is a new Mac event in Oct. or Nov., I'll be watching with more intense interest. 

edited September 2018