Apple discontinues sales of iPhone X, 6S, 6S Plus and SE

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple added three new models to its iPhone lineup on Wednesday, but subtracted several older versions, including former flagship iPhone X and the popular small-format iPhone SE.

Phil Schiller with the new iPhone lineup

Apple on Wednesday took the wraps off of its latest iPhones, debuting the iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and iPhone XR as this year's hardware introductions. The company will continue to offer the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8, as well as the iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus, for those looking to enter the ecosystem at a lower price point.

However, the new hardware marks an end of sales for certain devices. Most notably, the iPhone X, introduced in 2017 as Apple's flagship, is no longer listed as part of the Apple lineup. The release of the three new models, with offer most of the iPhone X's main features, have made the 2017 model redundant. Near the end of the keynote, Tim Cook referred to the 2018 iPhones "taking the breakthroughs of iPhone X even further than before, and making them available to even more people."

In addition, the former Apple.com page for the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus now redirects to the main Apple homepage, indicating that they have been discontinued as well, at least in the United States. The same is true of the iPhone SE.

This means, among other things, that Apple no longer sells any iPhones with headphone jacks. It also means that the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, unveiled just two years ago in September 2016, are now the oldest iPhones sold by Apple.

Back in April, analyst Neil Campling declared that "the iPhone X is dead" due to a lack of consumer interest. It is indeed dead, but not for the reasons Campling claimed.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    None of this was unexpected, including the death of the SE.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    This is a good deal on the 8. That's the one to get for me.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Bye headphone jack then. 
    chia
  • Reply 4 of 68
    I am still stubbornly hoping to see a “bezel-less” iPhone with the physical dime wins allowing for (small hand) one hand use. In other words SE sized or “regular” 6-8, X with redesigned bottom-right centric UI. 
    philboogiebaconstangarthurba
  • Reply 5 of 68
    The SE is dead?
    ...  That's going to upset a LOT of people who liked it for its size.
    ...  Even Steve Jobs said that that size was ideal.  (But that was back when phones were used to make phone calls)

That's a shame.   Apple now no longer has a small form factor.
    philboogieraoulduke42chris totpscooter63entropystyler82command_fbaconstangfreethinkingarthurba
  • Reply 6 of 68
    The SE is sad.

Simply put, i do not want a bigger phone.
    It fits in my pocket & i can easily use one hand to operate it.
    atomic101philboogiechris totraoulduke42entropystyler82baconstangarthurbaburnsidepulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Clearing stock and preparing the market for an SE sized replacement?
    baconstangbackstabradarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Like I said, the rumors of the X being "discontinued" were indeed true. People just didn't understand what that meant.
    philboogie
  • Reply 9 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The only barely affordable new iPhone for the average person in Ireland is the iPhone 7 now (€539). It’s a good phone, don’t get me wrong, but the SE was more affordable and had a nice small physical device size, which some users like myself liked. Won’t they bring out a smaller sized LCD X style phone next year? 5.2” would be nice. The prices of these new phones are crazy. There was talk about Apple trying to hit lower price points on the new phones this year, so much for that.
    edited September 2018 fotoformatphilboogiemaciekskontaktbaconstanglostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 68
    ireland said:
    The only barely affordable new iPhone for the average person in Ireland is the iPhone 7 now (€539). It’s a good phone, don’t get me wrong, but the SE was more affordable and had a nice small physical device size, which some users like myself liked. Won’t they bring out a smaller sized LCD X style phone next year? 5.2” would be nice.
    Who knows? Obviously Apple wants to sell as many phones as they can, so if they hear a lot of customer demand for a smaller size...
    chris tot
  • Reply 11 of 68
    sandor said:
    The SE is sad.

Thankfully I still have mine. I’m going to baby it until Apple bring out their new smaller phone.
    atomic101chris totkidrock2199command_fbaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 68
    $824 here.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    ireland said:
    sandor said:
    The SE is sad.

Thankfully I still have mine. I’m going to baby it until Apple bring out their new smaller phone.
    With a new battery in place, my SE still runs like a champ.  I don’t foresee iOS 12 gimping it, and it seems like it could be a viable device for at least two more years if a replacement isn’t released. 
    chris totkidrock2199MisterKitbaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Like I said, the rumors of the X being "discontinued" were indeed true. People just didn't understand what that meant.

But the people reporting it spun it as Apple getting rid of X because it wasn’t successful, not replacing it with a new X.
    tmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 68
    ireland said:
    $824 here.
    Gives one a good reason to take a vacation in America. ;)  Come to the US and load up!
    arthurba
  • Reply 16 of 68
    ireland said:
    sandor said:
    The SE is sad.

I actually just order the last space gray 128 GB SE from gazelle.  $250 seemed better than attempting to hunt one down at the apple store for $500
    My 64 GB still works well, but has taken several falls over its life, the frame & screen have shifted to the point that my olloclip lens no longer fits :)
    burnside
  • Reply 17 of 68
    It would be great if next year they come out with new SE with maybe a 4.5 screen size but in small form factor phone using the new LCD screens.  A phone like that would be awesome as far as size.  It might sell very very well.  It's hard to think they don't want market share of the millions of users who demand a smaller phone and may just have to go elsewhere if they can't get iPhone in smaller size.   They could then remove the iPhone 7 at that point.   As it is now, the best value may be the 8 model.  It still has awesome A11 chip and wireless charging.  It also has amazing speakers.  People who don't have this phone think it was not a real upgrade from the 7.
    uktechie
  • Reply 18 of 68
    AI_lias said:
    Bye headphone jack then. 
    And this also bye to iPhone for some people as well.
    freethinkingbaconstangburnsidephilboogie
  • Reply 19 of 68
    ireland said:
    The only barely affordable new iPhone for the average person in Ireland is the iPhone 7 now (€539). It’s a good phone, don’t get me wrong, but the SE was more affordable and had a nice small physical device size, which some users like myself liked. Won’t they bring out a smaller sized LCD X style phone next year? 5.2” would be nice. The prices of these new phones are crazy. There was talk about Apple trying to hit lower price points on the new phones this year, so much for that.
    "There was talk about Apple trying to hit lower price points on the new phones this year, so much for that."

Those were just rumors / speculation but I agree with iPhone prices being through the roof.  They're reaching MB pricing territory.
    atomic101philboogie
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Still no compelling reason for me to upgrade from 6s. It is solid.
    philboogie