Apple Watch Series 4 is first consumer device to receive FDA clearance for ECG monitoring ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    For years AliveCor has sold a small, FDA approved ECG device over-the-counter for ~$100 that works with most iPhones.  More recently they had a watch band approved (that requires an annual subscription to use). These aren't self-contained ECG devices, though. A smartphone is required to use them at all.

Vic Gundotra of Microsoft and Google fame is AliveCor's CEO.  I have fond memories of him insulting Steve Jobs and Apple at Google product unveilings. I'll bet he's having a real nice day today!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 69
    melgross said:

An FDA-approved medical grade device that allows easy collection and delivery of historical ECG data to a doctor.  Hmm.  Sounds like a device that might be covered by insurance, and might be subsidized by employers.  
    Apple watches and some FitBit devices are already subsidized by some insurance companies, and given to their employees. This will just make it closer to ubiquity.
    Would the watch qualify as a medical expense covered by an HSA?
  • Reply 23 of 69
    dunks said:
    The ECG functionality will be available at first to customers in the United States, with Apple also working to bring the feature to other markets at a later time.
    I really hope this doesn't take over a year like it did with Apple Pay.
    They will have to deal with each country's medical device regulation boards.
    Of course it will take time.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 69
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    melgross said:

An FDA-approved medical grade device that allows easy collection and delivery of historical ECG data to a doctor.  Hmm.  Sounds like a device that might be covered by insurance, and might be subsidized by employers.  
    Apple watches and some FitBit devices are already subsidized by some insurance companies, and given to their employees. This will just make it closer to ubiquity.
    Would the watch qualify as a medical expense covered by an HSA?
    Maaaaybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited September 2018 jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Hello everyone. I am very curious about how it works and on which bases the FDA gave the approval to this device. I am curious to know how it can read a 12 lead ecg reproducing it. Providing a simple lead it’s completely useless and it sounds only like a trade strategy to cheat people. So I invite everyone to be very cautious about this without any proven demonstration. The ECG records cardiac electricity that a mobile phone or a watch cannot do. So please let’s invite these engineers to play their PS4 and leave the medicine and very serious things to doctors, especially when it comes to the heart. 
  • Reply 26 of 69
    doctorA&E said:
    Providing a simple lead it’s completely useless and it sounds only like a trade strategy to cheat people.
    You think Apple and the FDA are cheating people? OK.

So I invite everyone to be very cautious about this without any proven demonstration. The ECG records cardiac electricity that a mobile phone or a watch cannot do.
    We will be careful, but we won't more careful than the research Apple had done before submitting to the FDA, and the FDA in approving this device for the specific testing it's doing.

So please let’s invite these engineers to play their PS4...
    WTF does the PS4 have to do with anything? Are you really suggesting that the Watch with its health features are equivalent to playing video games?  Stupid Apple and their foolish toys¡ :eyeroll:

...and leave the medicine and very serious things to doctors, especially when it comes to the heart.
    Do we need a doctor to take our pulse, too? How about doing cardio to stay healthy? Since that also falls under the silly "especially when it comes to the heart" umbrella you clearly haven't thought this through.

The real question is why you're intimidated by a damn electronic device.
    jbdragonclaire1tmaybrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 69
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    doctorA&E said:
    Hello everyone. I am very curious about how it works and on which bases the FDA gave the approval to this device. I am curious to know how it can read a 12 lead ecg reproducing it. Providing a simple lead it’s completely useless and it sounds only like a trade strategy to cheat people. So I invite everyone to be very cautious about this without any proven demonstration. The ECG records cardiac electricity that a mobile phone or a watch cannot do. So please let’s invite these engineers to play their PS4 and leave the medicine and very serious things to doctors, especially when it comes to the heart. 
    Wow... the arrogance in this post is staggering.  First you start off by stating you don't know how it works.  Then you state flatly that it cannot be done by a watch.  So which one is it?  Do you truly know how it works or not?

This type of arrogance in the face of ignorance is reminiscent of when, in reference to the iPad, RIM declared that amateur hour is over back in 2011.  And we all know how that played out.
    edited September 2018 Solijbdragontmaybrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 69
    auxio said:
    This type of arrogance in the face of ignorance is reminiscent of when, in reference to the iPhone, RIM declared that amateur hour is over back in 2011.  And we all know how that played out.
    And in 2007 their co-CEOs assumed that Jobs' demo was a lie because they couldn't fathom that the UI could be that responsive.
    edited September 2018 auxiojbdragonclaire1tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 69
    I want to learn more about this.
    Medical ECGs all use 12 leads to get a full read out -- and from that the physician can tell an unbelievable amount of information -- even if you've had a heart attack in the past.   The information goes far beyond a simple arrhythmia.

I was under the impression that a single lead EKG could only measure heart rate (and if precise enough, it's rhythm).   And, that is precisely what the "old" chest straps that runners and cyclists used did.   They were single lead EKGs.

But, here Apple was implying without saying explicitly that this provided a full boat EKG -- and their picture of an EKG readout certainly made it look so.  And I trust Apple to not bamboozle us.

So, I'm looking forward to additional information and clarity.  What I saw in the Apple presentation did not jibe well with what I learned (and mostly forgot) about EKGs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 69
    I think it's more generally referred to as "EKG", at least in the US.
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Medical ECGs all use 12 leads to get a full read out -- and from that the physician can tell an unbelievable amount of information -- even if you've had a heart attack in the past.   The information goes far beyond a simple arrhythmia.

I was under the impression that a single lead EKG could only measure heart rate (and if precise enough, it's rhythm).   And, that is precisely what the "old" chest straps that runners and cyclists used did.   They were single lead EKGs.

But, here Apple was implying without saying explicitly that this provided a full boat EKG -- and their picture of an EKG readout certainly made it look so.  And I trust Apple to not bamboozle us.

So, I'm looking forward to additional information and clarity.  What I saw in the Apple presentation did not jibe well with what I learned (and mostly forgot) about EKGs.
    If it's a physical impossibility to get "a full read out" without using 12 leads then I have to assume that's not "a full read out." So, did you infer that or did Apple imply that it's something that it's not? I'll have to revisit the event to know for sure, but I have to assume that on something like this and with FDA approval that they aren't going to lie.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 69
    doctorA&E said:
    You're a doctor? LOL.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 69
    doctorA&E said:
    You're a doctor? LOL.
    He put doctor in his name so he must be. He also put A&E in his name so he also must be a lackluster network cable station.
    jbdragonauxiowatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Did anybody notice that they aren't offering the classic leather band anymore, just the modern ones... I wanted to get a new one, but i guess I'm gonna have to go to a 3rd party now :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 69

This was exactly my thought. It was mentioned in the presentation that it’s a level 1 ECG but I’ve not been able to find from a search whether that is a lower level type or applies to all. Frankly I can’t see the benefit, at least not in a country like the UK, and plenty of downsides. It’s not like HR which it is useful and informative to regularly check. I can’t see why any of us would need or want to regularly have an ECG, especially if it is one less useful and informative than a 12 lead reading. Here in the UK ECGs are done fairly routinely when patients present at a and e, or at their General Practitioners with certain problems, and possibly as standard when registering with a GP and/or going for a health check. I fear some people may now unnecessarily waste GP time after doing lots of home ECGs and either getting inaccurate readings or needing them explained. 
  • Reply 36 of 69
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    bostonbri said:
    The pricing is disappointing.  $100 more for a stainless steel.  The 42 was $649, now $749.  I will wait a bit because that's getting pricey.  Also the stainless steel is not being sold on Series 3 anymore.  

That's been the strategy. Ditch the previous Steel version, and sell the previous Aluminium version at a discount.

Shame about the Ceramic, though. Not that I was ever going to afford one.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 69
    That is Apple doing what it does best; “addressing what matters most” and at the same time “Thinking Different”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 69
    mpw_amherst said:
    I can’t see why any of us would need or want to regularly have an ECG, especially if it is one less useful and informative than a 12 lead reading.
    Who does periodic 12-lead EKG checks at home? I certainly don't, so if this is just 30 seconds from my Watch I will be more likely to do it. If that tells me that I then need to see a doctor and the doctor then does a more extensive EKG then I don't see a downside. 

This sounds like people saying that the iPhone camera isn't as good as this or that DSLR with a bulky size and removable lenses all with a huge cost. As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you, so why wouldn't the best EKG be the one you have with you (which in no way states that if you're at a doctor's office that you shouldn't use a more accurate device).
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Soli said:
    mpw_amherst said:
    I can’t see why any of us would need or want to regularly have an ECG, especially if it is one less useful and informative than a 12 lead reading.
    Who does periodic 12-lead EKG checks at home? I certainly don't, so if this is just 30 seconds from my Watch I will be more likely to do it. If that tells me that I then need to see a doctor and the doctor then does a more extensive EKG then I don't see a downside. 

This sounds like people saying that the iPhone camera isn't as good as this or that DSLR with a bulky size and removable lenses all with a huge cost. As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you, so why wouldn't the best EKG be the one you have with you (which in no way states that if you're at a doctor's office that you shouldn't use a more accurate device).
    Well quite. But this is also my point. Who does, or more importantly needs, regular ECGs? The answer: no one. If you have AF then you’ll be alerted by several obvious symptoms anyway. And it’s unclear that this will provide an ECG with any more useful data of function than scanning for AF. I just don’t see this as having much real world use beyond a gimmick. As mentioned elsewhere, oxygen sats, glucose levels - would be far more useful. 
  • Reply 40 of 69
    anome said:
    bostonbri said:
    The pricing is disappointing.  $100 more for a stainless steel.  The 42 was $649, now $749.  I will wait a bit because that's getting pricey.  Also the stainless steel is not being sold on Series 3 anymore.  

That's been the strategy. Ditch the previous Steel version, and sell the previous Aluminium version at a discount.

Shame about the Ceramic, though. Not that I was ever going to afford one.

Getting rid of the ceramic version opens it up for possible other new materials. How'd you like a solid diamond case? ;)
    watto_cobra