Apple Watch Series 4 is here with full-screen OLED display, slimmer chassis

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Fall detection is actually a big deal, and I wouldn't have imagined it for this Apple Watch release.

I'm old enough, and am working by myself often enough, that purchasing an LTE Series 4 is a no brainer.

SoliSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    tmay said:
    Fall detection is actually a big deal, and I wouldn't have imagined it for this Apple Watch release.

I'm old enough, and am working by myself often enough, that purchasing an LTE Series 4 is a no brainer.
    Hmmm...a Life Alert replacement...yah, fall detection, gps and voice communications...
    SpamSandwichclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 59
    jcs2305 said:
    Can wear these because of my job so I’ll stick with my Rolex Explorer II
    So you felt the need to name drop 8k watch...cool.
    8k? Pah! Even my old Casio calculator had more memory than that and my Series 3 Watch has 16GB...
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    eightzero said:
    Ah...just announced all bands fit. I feared otherwise.
    Yes, the watch is 2mm taller, but the same width. I wish they'd shown how current apps will look on the new display until developers can update them. I wonder if they will be scaled up, or kept in their original windows (light green and white below). In the case of the 40mm (dark green), they should easily be able to use the original 42mm display (light green) area without any scaling. Orange is both the new 44mm display area, as well as the 40mm bezel.

You're saying the made the casing taller, but not wider despite having a much smaller bezel for the display that seems to be uniform?
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Math isn’t my strong suit, but how is going from 42mm to 44mm a 30% increase?
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Defo picking one of these up, will be my first Apple Watch. Sucks that the ECG isn't available outside the US. I'll be buying in the US and bringing it back to the UK, wonder if it will work? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 59
    tbuzzz said:
    Because the visible screen is larger, not just the watch. The screen is 30% (or whatever was the exact figure) larger.
    doozydozentbuzzzwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 48 of 59
    tbuzzz said:
    Because the visible screen is larger, not just the watch. The screen is 30% (or whatever was the exact figure) larger.
    IOW, a smaller bezel, too, so that the display takes up more space.
    tbuzzzwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 49 of 59
    tbuzzz said:
    It's the difference in display area  
    44mm  977 
    sq mm
    42mm  740 
    sq mm
    Differ.   32.0%

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

edited September 2018 SpamSandwichtbuzzzwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 50 of 59
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

Johan42 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Can wear these because of my job so I’ll stick with my Rolex Explorer II
    So you felt the need to name drop 8k watch...cool.
    It’s an attempt to show off. Like the guys who claim to have (at most 5) Apple stock and think they are big traders.

Loving the watch though. Might buy one when released.
    THIS is the customer I said (in a different thread) that the Edition Watch should have stayed around for! They will spend money just to spend!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 59
    again same ugly design? why can't they just make a nice round fashionable watch so people can wear it not only for grocery shopping and gym? 
    got a lot of apple devices but can't stand the design of the watch
    sandor
  • Reply 52 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jony0 said:
    tbuzzz said:
    It's the difference in display area  : 
    44mm  977 sq mm
    42mm  740 sq mm
    Differ.   32.0%

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Does that number take into account the rounded corners? I mean it’s not actually squared is it? Plus those sides are not straight parallel, they’re slightly bowed to follow the exact curve of the case. This is gonna require some advanced trig to calculate the actual area ... it’ll be interesting to see what the parameters are for developers are in terms of display edge boundaries ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 59
    The full specs and dimensions are on the Apple web site but you had to choose View Pricing then choose the model you want:

For comparison:

Soli
  • Reply 54 of 59
    uktechie said:
    The full specs and dimensions are on the Apple web site but you had to choose View Pricing then choose the model you want:
    [image]
    For comparison:
    [image]
    I hadn't realized none of the Apple Watches yet support 5GiHz. I wonder how long before that happens, as well as 802.11ac.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Has anyone seen what time we can preorder? Is it going to be 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time tomorrow?
  • Reply 56 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Irritating that the Steel versions only come in the GPS+Cellular variety,
    netmage
  • Reply 57 of 59
    crowley said:
    Not just that, but they cost quite a bit more than my 0G did.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    crowley said:
    Was that the same with Series 3? I think so but I’m not positive. 

netmage said:
    crowley said:
    To be fair, the 0Gs didn’t have GPS, let alone LTE. Those things don’t come free. 

Edit: I just checked, the most expensive model I see is the Space Black SS with Milanese Loop, 44 mm at $849. That’s about $250 less than my Series 0 SS Space Black with Link Bracelet, again with no GPS or LTE (and a slow processor and now smaller display). 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 59 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Was that the same with Series 3? I think so but I’m not positive. 

netmage said:
    crowley said:
    To be fair, the 0Gs didn’t have GPS, let alone LTE. Those things don’t come free. 

Edit: I just checked, the most expensive model I see is the Space Black SS with Milanese Loop, 44 mm at $849. That’s about $250 less than my Series 0 SS Space Black with Link Bracelet, again with no GPS or LTE (and a slow processor and now smaller display). 
    You can't actually buy an Watch with the link bracelet now, which is a bit odd.  The link bracelet itself is a bit cheaper, but you need to buy it separately.