Apple debuts 5.8-inch iPhone XS and 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max with OLED screens

Comments

• Reply 61 of 160
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I checked the AppleStore and it looks like the SE is GONE.
  • Reply 62 of 160
    Phones look beautiful but the names are awful. And on Apple’s website sometimes the S and R are inside a box, sometimes not; sometimes they’re capitalized, sometimes not. So inconsistent. And what does R stand for anyway?
  • Reply 63 of 160
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Third - The Xs and Xs Max are the only ones that actually make sense.  

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    Apple got rid of the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. It’s the 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max. And yes the 7 and 8 still exist for price reasons. My guess is the SE is gone because there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones.
  • Reply 64 of 160
    Gobnu said:
    Where have all of the reasonably sized phones gone? I don't want to carry an iPad in my pocket.  Guess my 5se will have to soldier on some more.  Same with my iPad mini.
    The largest one (the Max) is the same size as an iPhone 8 Plus.  And the regular 7 and 8 are still available.  But, yes, the SE is about to go bye bye.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 160
    Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...
    update once every 4 years, and it's a more magical upgrade :) (iPhone 4 to 6 to now Xs)
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 160
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    That’s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
    It's the "s" cycle upgrade, what on earth did you expect?  Since when is the year after a major upgrade a time with huge new innovations?  It's almost always just a spec bump in the chip, RAM, cameras, etc.  This year they also added two new screen sizes in this new X form factor.  Then 2 years after the new form factor is introduced you see the next "major" upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 160
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    Apple got rid of the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. It’s the 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max. And yes the 7 and 8 still exist for price reasons. My guess is the SE is gone because there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones.
    Also from what some developers are saying (Marco Arment for instance), it's getting increasingly hard to make an app that looks good on both an iPhone X screen and a small iPhone SE screen.  I think they're ready for the old 4" screens to go away for good.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 68 of 160
    I don’t care what they call it. But I do like the faster bionic 12 and the improved camera & battery. If I was to name them however, I think i’d Go with the following naming scheme:

iPhone
    iPhone X Pro
    iPhone X Pro Plus

easy peasy iPhone squeezy 
  • Reply 69 of 160
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    DougE said:

You mean there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones with a geriatric processor. Just like the Mac mini and what Cook is tying to do to the MBA, the strategy is to reduce demand by offering a senescent product. A self fulfilling prophesy.
  • Reply 70 of 160
    DougEDougE Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    DougE said:

Incorrect. They are still selling the 7 Plus and 8 Plus; check the website.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 160
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
    My take-away from the presentation? "What happened to the Iphone 9?" Anyways, Apple Watch Series 4 had some serious improvements from edge to edge display to the health centric ECG scanner. IphoneX (R) looked to be the best value for the money where you are getting all the features and hardware of it's more expensive cousin minus the OLED display, a telephoto camera lens and settling for an IP67 water resistance hardware compared to an IP68 you get with the more expensive cousin, for a total of $750 thus saving you $250 dollars in the process. Great phones overall. Specially the dual e-sim/nano sim feature will liberate a whole lot of users from being tied to a single carrier. Buying an unlocked Iphone is still the best strategy to fully avail the dual sim feature as phones by extension the sims can still be locked by carriers. One glaring fact, the core processor power improvement of A12 Bionic over A11 Bionic is only 15%! Ouch! Not counting the number of cores, just comparing pure performance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 160
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    DougE said:

3 iPhones is too many options?

Why is it only Apple that gets criticized for this? The knockoffs can release 30 models and no one peeps a word. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 160
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sergioz said:
    Need to know more about iPhones XS Model A1920 & Model A1921 Cellular and Wireless modem, who makes it, Intel or Qualcomm? 
    Why? Don't give us the crap that the Qualcomm modem is faster because it isn't in the real world.
    claire1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 160
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    That’s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
    Now describe to us what you would accept as innovation and progress. Let's hear it. The A12 Bionic sounds like some pretty nice progress to me. You throw those words around but offer no explanation. 
    fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 160
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    sergioz said:
    Need to know more about iPhones XS Model A1920 & Model A1921 Cellular and Wireless modem, who makes it, Intel or Qualcomm? 
    Why? Don't give us the crap that the Qualcomm modem is faster because it isn't in the real world.
    It's .003 seconds faster so shut up!!!!111

/s
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 160
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

Here the top model Xs Max will sell for the equivalent of about $2000. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 77 of 160
    ElCapitan said:
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    claire1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 160
    DougEDougE Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:

3 iPhones is too many options?

Why is it only Apple that gets criticized for this? The knockoffs can release 30 models and no one peeps a word. 
    Technically it's four options: Xs, Xr, 8 and 7.  I've been using iPhones ever since the 3GS, I just think they are really crowding up the lineup; it's the same way with the MacBooks.  And yes, Samsung, LG etc...have been notorious for releasing way too many different phones that are pretty much all the same.   
    ElCapitanclaire1
  • Reply 79 of 160
    The hard part is going to be choosing a color. I'm typically not a gold person, but that new gold color looks very nice. 
    I agree. This will be my first gold iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 160
    ElCapitan said:

The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    Since we don't have breakdown by market it is hard to say exactly how it pans out. I suspect the X sold well in markets where US currency conversion did not add much to the price. In addition you have some geos with large populations where maybe only a few percent of the population can afford it, but it will still add a significant number of units to the quarterly sales figures.