• Reply 81 of 160
    See you guys at 3:01am Friday morning.
    edited September 2018 anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 160
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Third - The Xs and Xs Max are the only ones that actually make sense.  

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    3 iPhones is too many options?

Why is it only Apple that gets criticized for this? The knockoffs can release 30 models and no one peeps a word. 
    Technically it's four options: Xs, Xr, 8 and 7.  I've been using iPhones ever since the 3GS, I just think they are really crowding up the lineup; it's the same way with the MacBooks.  And yes, Samsung, LG etc...have been notorious for releasing way too many different phones that are pretty much all the same.   
    3 iPhones were announced. THREE. If you count the obligatory old models that's 11 total or 4 total options as you say. Wait, add in X which I think will continue to be on sale.

What did you expect with the 3GS? They didn't even have a big screen demand back then and the iPhone didn't go back 4 generations.
    It's not like they were gonna sell:

Motorola Rokr
    iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS

Get real man. There's not "too many" options. I agree it could be less but it's not even close to "too many". I would have dropped 7 and made R a smaller budget iPhone with the screen size of SE but smaller overall size. Maybe they can drop "plus" sized models but then people would complain that there's no big option.

But even dropping 7, it would be "too much" for you guys:

iPhone 8/8 Plus
    iPhone X
    iPhone X R
    iPhone XS/Xs Max

Wow so many and I don't know what to choose! Time to switch to android where theres a new knockoff released a week!
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 160
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    ElCapitan said:
    Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

Here the top model Xs Max will sell for the equivalent of about $2000. 
    The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    Because the US economy has recently started doing better than just about anywhere else, the USD is rising against the other countries’ currencies.  Combined with the traditional Apple tax to cover exchange rate risk, It’s adding considerably to the sticker shock overseas, especially for the max.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 84 of 160
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    ElCapitan said:
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    ElCapitan said:

Because our exchange rate hit the shitter. At the same price point in the US, the new base phone is 150 dollarydoos more expensive than last years model (noting theyve kept the same price in USD) and it only goes up from there, obviously. 

Same with apple watch, its about 100 more expensive but i will probably spring for it because of the ECG feature. (Assuming its switched on in the firmware in Australia)

Edit: before anybody stands on my tits, the base phone difference is a little smaller than 150, maybe more like 100, perhaps less.

edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 160
    sergioz said:
    Need to know more about iPhones XS Model A1920 & Model A1921 Cellular and Wireless modem, who makes it, Intel or Qualcomm? 
    It's all Intel.

sergiozclaire1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 160
    Am I the only one to feel that 11 years is a long time for Apple to reach truth in advertising with the iPhone Excess? Seriously, I will probably upgrade to one from my 6, mainly because of the rear camera, the display, and the OS features that aren't available to my current phone. Plus I like (not paying through the nose for one of Apple's profit centers, but for the peace of mind and quality of service that come with having) AppleCare +. The Max ("Hi, Max") is to big to retrieve easily from a horizontal position in my trouser pockets, but the Excess's screen appears much nicer than the X-Ray Romeo's.
  • Reply 87 of 160
    Phones look beautiful but the names are awful. And on Apple’s website sometimes the S and R are inside a box, sometimes not; sometimes they’re capitalized, sometimes not. So inconsistent. And what does R stand for anyway?
    Apple should've just called them iPhone R, iPhone S, iPhone S Max
  • Reply 88 of 160
    ElCapitan said:

The Xr is actually $250 less than the iPhone Xs.
    fastasleeptitantigerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 160
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.

Why is it only Apple that gets criticized for this? The knockoffs can release 30 models and no one peeps a word. 
    Technically it's four options: Xs, Xr, 8 and 7.  I've been using iPhones ever since the 3GS, I just think they are really crowding up the lineup; it's the same way with the MacBooks.  And yes, Samsung, LG etc...have been notorious for releasing way too many different phones that are pretty much all the same.   
    Looking at the lineup as it stands today, I think it's the cleanest it's ever been.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 160
    DougE said:
    DougE said:

Apple got rid of the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. It’s the 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max. And yes the 7 and 8 still exist for price reasons. My guess is the SE is gone because there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones.
    Incorrect. They are still selling the 7 Plus and 8 Plus; check the website.  
    Ah I just saw the 7 & 8  an thought they got rid of the Plus.
  • Reply 91 of 160
    entropys said:
    DougE said:

Apple got rid of the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. It’s the 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max. And yes the 7 and 8 still exist for price reasons. My guess is the SE is gone because there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones.
    You mean there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones with a geriatric processor. Just like the Mac mini and what Cook is tying to do to the MBA, the strategy is to reduce demand by offering a senescent product. A self fulfilling prophesy.
    Nah the market for 4” phones just isn’t there. Of course I don’t doubt that those who do want the smaller size are hard core and very vocal about it.
    canukstormjony0
  • Reply 92 of 160
    DougEDougE Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:

3 iPhones were announced. THREE. If you count the obligatory old models that's 11 total or 4 total options as you say. Wait, add in X which I think will continue to be on sale.

What did you expect with the 3GS? They didn't even have a big screen demand back then and the iPhone didn't go back 4 generations.
    It's not like they were gonna sell:

Motorola Rokr
    iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS

Get real man. There's not "too many" options. I agree it could be less but it's not even close to "too many". I would have dropped 7 and made R a smaller budget iPhone with the screen size of SE but smaller overall size. Maybe they can drop "plus" sized models but then people would complain that there's no big option.

But even dropping 7, it would be "too much" for you guys:

iPhone 8/8 Plus
    iPhone X
    iPhone X R
    iPhone XS/Xs Max

Wow so many and I don't know what to choose! Time to switch to android where theres a new knockoff released a week!
    Jesus take a pill; I'm sorry I had an opinion and don't feel like kissing Apple's a*s right now.  Guess I better switch to Android before you kick me out of the Apple club anyways.  
    claire1
  • Reply 93 of 160
    bigpics said:
    AppleZulu said:
    This seems to be an account created just to be unimpressed with everything Apple does. Perhaps just an unhappy person or maybe an account operating in service to an Apple competitor.
    Come on. I've been watching Apple Keynotes since the first broadcast (or narrowcast).  They used to be signature events - and I got pulled right into the Reality Distortion Field along with everyone else. 

But Cook isn't Jobs and steady, predictable iteration of a mature tech product may be (and was) kinda interesting, especially if you've got a need to fill and money to burn - but it simply isn't all that compelling a watch - especially when the most revolutionary feature is a phone price topping out at $1449....  ...as in literally "Take (a lot of) my money."

So just the annual show with the same general format and lots of the same faces and, same faster, bigger, smaller, better... ...new colors, etc. like every year... ...so yeah, OK, and will likely achieve its marketing purposes, but also kinda meh. So with your and other arbiters of what's a real post and what isn't's kind permission, I also declare myself a little un-wowed. 

Still, we're so starved that if there is a new Mac event in Oct. or Nov., I'll be watching with more intense interest. 

Exactly! I remember watching the iPhone 4 event. Wow! The 4s/Siri event. So cool! And the 5, the first time the screen size was increased yet still very one hand friendly. How thoughtful of them. And damn that slate color! And every year the phone got thinner and lighter, faster and better. The 5s brought us TouchID and the very first gold iPhone. I took the day off work and stood in line to be one of the first to get my hands on one since they didn’t allow preorders that year. I was number 23 in line and man that phone was amazing! I still have all these iPhones in storage. 

It was very easy to get excited about the keynotes to see what other cool ideas Apple had been working on. The 6 and 6 Plus were great, too, for those that wanted to jump on the phablet bandwagon but couldn’t stand the idea of jumping ship to the Android platform. Since then though, I gotta say....very, very MEH. And the phones have been getting uglier. Bigger and heavier. And they haven’t put as much thought into them as they used to. Now they are just throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks. Maybe different colors, maybe a notch, maybe get rid of the home button and headphone jack, a couple of different cameras, some new names perhaps...I don’t think even Apple knows what the R stands for, but let’s see if it sticks. Different materials, different panel technologies. And the amount of different screen sizes out there now would make even SJ roll in his grave. Just too many variations now. They lost that simple vision.

Just face it, Apple no longer has the wow effect. It was bound to happen one day. I’ve known that day would come ever since the 5. There couldn’t possibly be a way for them to keep that up forever. 
  • Reply 94 of 160
    DougE said:

Makes no sense to you. You're not interested. You would run Apple differently. OK, we get it. Thanks. 
    fastasleepclaire1jony0radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 160
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    That’s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
    If you don’t think the processing advancements in Apple’s A chips isn’t innovation, I don’t know what to tell you. Much of what will be making the “amazing new features” work will be sheer processing power running the software, processing imagery, etc. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 160
    claire1 said:
    Whats interesting is the Apple website is mentioning "new FaceID" that is "faster" for the iPhone XR.

I was hoping for a far more accurate FaceID with twice as many dots projecting. But a faster FaceID is a big deal and I had a feeling it would be faster but wasn't mentioned.

Phil mentioned it. They’re also using new sensors, so there may be other factors going into the improvements there. No mention of number of dots but is that relevant if it’s faster?
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 160
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I never thought that I could ever pay $1500 for a phone.

But I also never dreamed that I could own a supercomputer that fits in my pocket. 
    djsherlyeightzerowatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 160
    dewme said:
    I never thought that I could ever pay $1500 for a phone.
    $4,000 in 1983. That's $10,445.84 in today's money.
    fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 160
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    seankill said:
    $1,100 for the 64GB iPhone max? They really have lost their minds over there. Could have at least made it 128GB. 
    $749, $899 and $999 would certainly have sounded better to me. 
    freethinking
  • Reply 100 of 160
    DougE said:

This product strategy isn't much different than what Apple has done over the past several years.  Introduce a new iPhone, usually in two sizes (last year was an exception), then keep two (or even three) previous years of product in the choice for customers.  Why?  Well, not everyone wants to pay $1000 for a phone.  Not everyone wants all the new features, they just want a solid new phone.  Many of us with kids who need/want phones don't want to pay for a top-of-the-line phone for them.  And finally, for many emerging markets, $1000 USD phones are just not going to sell, but a new phone at half that price might be competitive against some mid-level Android phones.

The one new thing for this year is the iPhone Xr, which takes a direct page out of the iPhone 5c product.  That product had a cheaper body (plastic) which allowed Apple to make different colors for personalization.  But you gave up a better camera for that product.  The Xr swaps for a lesser LCD screen and a simpler camera but adds colored bodies like the 5c had.  Apple is putting their best CPU in new products regardless (the iPhone 8/8s also had the A11 Bionic like the iPhone X, and past years had a similar strategy).

One more thing...I'm not sure who really needs a 512GB phone other than for bragging rights, though usually I'm that guy who pulls the trigger for that (and I'm carrying a 256GB iPhone X).  It'll be a high profit model that will keep the average sale price numbers up with the Xr being in the lineup at $749.

The A12 Bionic's new neural engine is a BIG DEAL.  The fact that you can do a lot of this computational stuff in real time (and as fraction of the battery life!) opens the door to a lot of applications that weren't possible before.  But I'm thinking that whenever we see an A-processor powering a Mac, that neural engine will be a big product differentiator between Apple and their competitors, especially in some specific markets.
    edited September 2018 fastasleepjony0watto_cobra