Apple announces colorful new 6.1-inch iPhone XR with full-screen Liquid Retina Display and...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    YoRHa said:
    amarkap said:
    Sorry...but there is just too much talk about the cameras on the phone.  This is a terrible event....Watch series 4 was awesome but iphone is just becoming more awesome in areas that does not really help sell new phones or dare I say anyone cares about.  Of course, just my opinion.  But stock is taking a beating too.  Absolutely nothing here that would want me to upgrade to these new X ‘S’ phones.   Yup, there will always be that one guy who says this...and this time it was me.

Thought too maybe something Mac Mini related....maybe new iPads...maybe something totally new.  Something exciting but Nope.  Apple not a good showing...sorry.
    You realize that you can’t manipulate the stock price here, right? Get out.
    Oh shut up.  He or she's entitled to their opinion, and they're not the only one with that opinion.  I personally don't give a rat's turd about bokeh and only a little more about 30 extra minutes of battery.  The new phones *are* great and Apple will sell very many.  My wife has been waiting to replace her 6 Plus and she mostly wanted a bigger phone.  She's getting what she wants.  The dual SIM feature will be good for my daughters who spend time in Europe and the US, but for most people it's not a feature at all.

Amarkap is right.  Apple's Mac lineup is old.  The MacBook I'm typing this on is the mid-2017.  It was basically the same as the one before it and ... I was going to write not much different from whatever came after it but nothing came after it.  This is one of the product lines that's "actively" updated.  iPads are overpriced and don't have features that have been on the phone for a while now. The largest company in the world by market cap could do better than this.

amarkap
  • Reply 42 of 68
    YoRHa said:
    amarkap said:
    Sorry...but there is just too much talk about the cameras on the phone.  This is a terrible event....Watch series 4 was awesome but iphone is just becoming more awesome in areas that does not really help sell new phones or dare I say anyone cares about.  Of course, just my opinion.  But stock is taking a beating too.  Absolutely nothing here that would want me to upgrade to these new X ‘S’ phones.   Yup, there will always be that one guy who says this...and this time it was me.

Thought too maybe something Mac Mini related....maybe new iPads...maybe something totally new.  Something exciting but Nope.  Apple not a good showing...sorry.
    You realize that you can’t manipulate the stock price here, right? Get out
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 43 of 68
    YoRHa said:
    amarkap said:

I don't believe I was trying to manipulate the stock price (actually, I'm pretty Apple did that themselves).  Also, my post was from the viewpoint of a shareholder and not an Apple Fanboy.  While I have and enjoy Apple products, I also like to see them sell a lot of product, making money, etc.  I'm sorry if that reality is not something you like to hear but it is the truth for me and a lot of other shareholders.  At the end of the day (as it is now)...it doesn't matter.  Apple is still a solid company and they will sell a boat load of iPhone, iPad, and especially Apple Watch 4 and I know they have a lot of other cool things in the works...I have no problem in being patient with them.

But I don't retract my comment...it was a boring event.  Too much time on the camera, too much time on videos on Jon Ive and too much on the environment.  There was a magic and wonder to these events 5-10 years ago...not so much anymore.

Also, you do realize telling me to 'Get out' is not really going to get me out right?
    williamhatomic101
  • Reply 44 of 68
    claire1 said:
    This is so strange and confusing.

A lot of people won't know the difference between this and the iPhone X/Xs.

It should have been the same screen size as SE for differentiation and price. I bet it would have sold more as a tiny tech packed device.

I do wonder if it will outsell the Xs and Xs Max because of colors alone. I can see people reaching for their favorite color iPhone even though they can afford a Xs Max.
    Isn’t it entirely possible that Apple can’t fit everything they want to in such a small device? 
  • Reply 45 of 68
    amarkap said:
    YoRHa said:
    amarkap said:

I don't believe I was trying to manipulate the stock price (actually, I'm pretty Apple did that themselves).  Also, my post was from the viewpoint of a shareholder and not an Apple Fanboy.  While I have and enjoy Apple products, I also like to see them sell a lot of product, making money, etc.  I'm sorry if that reality is not something you like to hear but it is the truth for me and a lot of other shareholders.  At the end of the day (as it is now)...it doesn't matter.  Apple is still a solid company and they will sell a boat load of iPhone, iPad, and especially Apple Watch 4 and I know they have a lot of other cool things in the works...I have no problem in being patient with them.

But I don't retract my comment...it was a boring event.  Too much time on the camera, too much time on videos on Jon Ive and too much on the environment.  There was a magic and wonder to these events 5-10 years ago...not so much anymore.

Also, you do realize telling me to 'Get out' is not really going to get me out right?
    Cook is not Jobs.  I think we knew that.  Cook will never be the showman that Jobs was.  Accept it.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 68
    "Liquid Retina". 
    "Intelligent A12 Bionic"
    "Neural Engine"

• Reply 47 of 68
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Apple is DOOMED!!   They will suffocate under the billions of dollars they will make.  

Nice update.  I’m sticking with my 7 plus to save some money for the XI+MaxR in 2019!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 68
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Well easy decision for me, XR it is. I don't care about OLED and the camera is more than good enough in the XR. Don't see why anyone would spend an extra £250/$250 for an OLED display and slightly better camera...... unless I am missing something obvious.

macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Soli said:
    What does the 'R' stand for? I looked at a thesaurus and the only synonym for color that starts with 'R' is race… and I'm certain that's not Apple's reasoning.
    One letter before S = almost as good as S?
    Solifastasleep
  • Reply 50 of 68
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    arlomedia said:
    Soli said:
    What does the 'R' stand for? I looked at a thesaurus and the only synonym for color that starts with 'R' is race… and I'm certain that's not Apple's reasoning.
    One letter before S = almost as good as S?
    iPhone X Refined
  • Reply 51 of 68
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    iPhone welfare
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Strange!   The Apple web site does not list a "sim free -- works with any carrier" option for the Xr like it does with the Xs series.   Hopefully this is an oversight or maybe because it won't be available till the end of October -- rather than a set back in time where your phone only worked on certain networks and an AT&T phone would not run on a Sprint network, etc...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 68
    The whining here is more intense than I imagined.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 68
    claire1 said:
    This is so strange and confusing.

A lot of people won't know the difference between this and the iPhone X/Xs.

It should have been the same screen size as SE for differentiation and price. I bet it would have sold more as a tiny tech packed device.

I do wonder if it will outsell the Xs and Xs Max because of colors alone. I can see people reaching for their favorite color iPhone even though they can afford a Xs Max.
    A lot of people won't care about the difference between this and the iPhone X/Xs and will buy XR. This is not an iPhone 5c which was 32-bit and as such born dead.

Especially in international markets because of the high dollar rate. Wise move from Apple.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 68
    amarkap said:
    I don't believe I was trying to manipulate the stock price (actually, I'm pretty [sure] Apple did that themselves).  
    Um... what? Apple ‘manipulates’ it’s own stock price? How so? Please shed some light. 
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 68
    amarkap said:
    I don't believe I was trying to manipulate the stock price (actually, I'm pretty [sure] Apple did that themselves).  
    Um... what? Apple ‘manipulates’ it’s own stock price? How so? Please shed some light.
    No. I won't do that. You know what I meant. You are a smart guy and I've read your post.  I know you are very knowledgeable about Apple...I've read your posts in the past and I respect you as a commenter and a participant here.

Again, you know where I am coming from and what I meant that there is no need to clarify anything for you. 

Yes, I forgot the word 'sure'.  Typing on an iPad is never easy for me and I was typing fast before heading to work.

• Reply 57 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    amarkap said:
    amarkap said:
    No. I won't do that. You know what I meant. You are a smart guy and I've read your post.  I know you are very knowledgeable about Apple...I've read your posts in the past and I respect you as a commenter and a participant here.

Again, you know where I am coming from and what I meant that there is no need to clarify anything for you. 

Yes, I forgot the word 'sure'.  Typing on an iPad is never easy for me and I was typing fast before heading to work.
    It sounded like you’re claiming Apple is making illegal moves in regard to their stock price. If you mean to the mundane and obvious announcement and release or products to sell and continual move to more efficiency so that they can increase revenue and profits while reduction costs then there’s nothing nefarious about hat and I didn’t capture that meaning at all in your original comment. Since you now refuse to clarify your obtuse meaning it sounds like Anant had your intent correct the first time.
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Just saw a hands on video and there is no equivalent to 3D Touch on this phone. That just baffles me. Apple is still supporting the technology as it’s in both XS models. If Apple still believes in then all new phones should have it. Bizzare.
    sphericGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 59 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Just saw a hands on video and there is no equivalent to 3D Touch on this phone. That just baffles me. Apple is still supporting the technology as it’s in both XS models. If Apple still believes in then all new phones should have it. Bizzare.
    That means it's not a device for me. Even if I only use it for moving the cursor around in a text field it's invaluable for that one action.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Soli said:
    That means it's not a device for me. Even if I only use it for moving the cursor around in a text field it's invaluable for that one action.

Also according to Ben Bajarin portrait mode on the XR only works with humans. Pixel 2 can do portrait mode on any object using one lens. That’s a bummer. Apple better make sure customers understand this,
    Solicanukstorm