Apple debuts 5.8-inch iPhone XS and 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max with OLED screens

Comments

• Reply 101 of 160
    bigpics said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...
    This seems to be an account created just to be unimpressed with everything Apple does. Perhaps just an unhappy person or maybe an account operating in service to an Apple competitor.
    Come on. I've been watching Apple Keynotes since the first broadcast (or narrowcast).  They used to be signature events - and I got pulled right into the Reality Distortion Field along with everyone else. 

But Cook isn't Jobs and steady, predictable iteration of a mature tech product may be (and was) kinda interesting, especially if you've got a need to fill and money to burn - but it simply isn't all that compelling a watch - especially when the most revolutionary feature is a phone price topping out at $1449....  ...as in literally "Take (a lot of) my money."

So just the annual show with the same general format and lots of the same faces and, same faster, bigger, smaller, better... ...new colors, etc. like every year... ...so yeah, OK, and will likely achieve its marketing purposes, but also kinda meh. So with your and other arbiters of what's a real post and what isn't's kind permission, I also declare myself a little un-wowed. 

Still, we're so starved that if there is a new Mac event in Oct. or Nov., I'll be watching with more intense interest. 

Exactly! I remember watching the iPhone 4 event. Wow! The 4s/Siri event. So cool! And the 5, the first time the screen size was increased yet still very one hand friendly. How thoughtful of them. And damn that slate color! And every year the phone got thinner and lighter, faster and better. The 5s brought us TouchID and the very first gold iPhone. I took the day off work and stood in line to be one of the first to get my hands on one since they didn’t allow preorders that year. I was number 23 in line and man that phone was amazing! I still have all these iPhones in storage. 

It was very easy to get excited about the keynotes to see what other cool ideas Apple had been working on. The 6 and 6 Plus were great, too, for those that wanted to jump on the phablet bandwagon but couldn’t stand the idea of jumping ship to the Android platform. Since then though, I gotta say....very, very MEH. And the phones have been getting uglier. Bigger and heavier. And they haven’t put as much thought into them as they used to. Now they are just throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks. Maybe different colors, maybe a notch, maybe get rid of the home button and headphone jack, a couple of different cameras, some new names perhaps...I don’t think even Apple knows what the R stands for, but let’s see if it sticks. Different materials, different panel technologies. And the amount of different screen sizes out there now would make even SJ roll in his grave. Just too many variations now. They lost that simple vision.

Just face it, Apple no longer has the wow effect. It was bound to happen one day. I’ve known that day would come ever since the 5. There couldn’t possibly be a way for them to keep that up forever. 
    I like how you just blow off the X as if it’s nothing. That they just decided to try “maybe a notch” and not Face ID. The idea that Apple is just shooting in the dark each year and “not putting much thought into them” is laughable. You’re either not paying attention or are being intellectually dishonest. 

The X is by far the best iPhone I’ve ever owned. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 160
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

iPhone Xr for me, my iPhone 6s Plus is getting a bit long in the tooth. I don't personally care about OLED, Apple's LCD's have always been top notch, and the camera will be more than good enough.

Don't know why anyone would pay an extra £250 for the iPhone Xs, smaller screen that just happens to be OLED and the same internals.

• Reply 103 of 160
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Third - The Xs and Xs Max are the only ones that actually make sense.  

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    3 iPhones is too many options?

Why is it only Apple that gets criticized for this? The knockoffs can release 30 models and no one peeps a word. 
    Technically it's four options: Xs, Xr, 8 and 7.  I've been using iPhones ever since the 3GS, I just think they are really crowding up the lineup; it's the same way with the MacBooks.  And yes, Samsung, LG etc...have been notorious for releasing way too many different phones that are pretty much all the same.   
    3 iPhones were announced. THREE. If you count the obligatory old models that's 11 total or 4 total options as you say. Wait, add in X which I think will continue to be on sale.

What did you expect with the 3GS? They didn't even have a big screen demand back then and the iPhone didn't go back 4 generations.
    It's not like they were gonna sell:

Motorola Rokr
    iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS

Get real man. There's not "too many" options. I agree it could be less but it's not even close to "too many". I would have dropped 7 and made R a smaller budget iPhone with the screen size of SE but smaller overall size. Maybe they can drop "plus" sized models but then people would complain that there's no big option.

But even dropping 7, it would be "too much" for you guys:

iPhone 8/8 Plus
    iPhone X
    iPhone X R
    iPhone XS/Xs Max

Wow so many and I don't know what to choose! Time to switch to android where theres a new knockoff released a week!
    Jesus take a pill; I'm sorry I had an opinion and don't feel like kissing Apple's a*s right now.  Guess I better switch to Android before you kick me out of the Apple club anyways.  
    What next? You're gonna call me a sheep for staying facts and my own opinion?

Oh you're one of those 5 post Debby downers who only signs up to rain on Apples parade every keynote.

If "too many options"(3) is your biggest complaint about the keynote then you really need to leave your suburb. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 104 of 160
    claire1 said:
    Whats interesting is the Apple website is mentioning "new FaceID" that is "faster" for the iPhone XR.

I was hoping for a far more accurate FaceID with twice as many dots projecting. But a faster FaceID is a big deal and I had a feeling it would be faster but wasn't mentioned.

Phil mentioned it. They’re also using new sensors, so there may be other factors going into the improvements there. No mention of number of dots but is that relevant if it’s faster?
    Ah so is it FaceID 2.0? I was waiting for him to mention it and must have missed it. More dots theoretically would make it more accurate. I was hoping they could reduce the siblings/twins problem.
    So it's faster. This is a big deal. The iPhone XS is so damn fast!

sevenfeet said:
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    This product strategy isn't much different than what Apple has done over the past several years.  Introduce a new iPhone, usually in two sizes (last year was an exception), then keep two (or even three) previous years of product in the choice for customers.  Why?  Well, not everyone wants to pay $1000 for a phone.  Not everyone wants all the new features, they just want a solid new phone.  Many of us with kids who need/want phones don't want to pay for a top-of-the-line phone for them.  And finally, for many emerging markets, $1000 USD phones are just not going to sell, but a new phone at half that price might be competitive against some mid-level Android phones.

The one new thing for this year is the iPhone Xr, which takes a direct page out of the iPhone 5c product.  That product had a cheaper body (plastic) which allowed Apple to make different colors for personalization.  But you gave up a better camera for that product.  The Xr swaps for a lesser LCD screen and a simpler camera but adds colored bodies like the 5c had.  Apple is putting their best CPU in new products regardless (the iPhone 8/8s also had the A11 Bionic like the iPhone X, and past years had a similar strategy).

One more thing...I'm not sure who really needs a 512GB phone other than for bragging rights, though usually I'm that guy who pulls the trigger for that (and I'm carrying a 256GB iPhone X).  It'll be a high profit model that will keep the average sale price numbers up with the Xr being in the lineup at $749.

The A12 Bionic's new neural engine is a BIG DEAL.  The fact that you can do a lot of this computational stuff in real time (and as fraction of the battery life!) opens the door to a lot of applications that weren't possible before.  But I'm thinking that whenever we see an A-processor powering a Mac, that neural engine will be a big product differentiator between Apple and their competitors, especially in some specific markets.

It's not different. Look at his post count. He's here to sh** on Apple after the great keynote. He's like those DED posters who sign up to negate the harsh truth.

"One more thing...I'm not sure who really needs a 512GB phone other than for bragging rights"

Simple, people who make movies and photographers. I can see people buying this iPhone just to film movies. The quality just screams "film something!" to me. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 160
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rogifan_new said:
    Apple got rid of the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. It’s the 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max. And yes the 7 and 8 still exist for price reasons. My guess is the SE is gone because there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones.
    The 7 plus and 8 plus are still on the website.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 160
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    A12 chip

CPU speed up: 15%
    GPU speed up: 50%
    Machine learning speed up: 900%

"It feels like we are the biological bootloader for AI" -- Elon Musk
    fastasleep
  • Reply 107 of 160
    Did they say whether the Xs has 3D touch?  They specifically said the Xr does not, but I missed part of the Xs discussion.
    Yes, the others do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 108 of 160
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Why the pricing of different memory models stays the same as last year? Apple said last year the memory price will be lower this year. 
  • Reply 109 of 160
    ascii said:
    A12 chip

CPU speed up: 15%
    GPU speed up: 50%
    Machine learning speed up: 900%

"It feels like we are the biological bootloader for AI" -- Elon Musk
    It's good you mentioned that. I could have sworn they were gonna announce a new Siri engine. Was so disappointed and Siri will drag her feet for yet another year....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 160
    tzeshan said:
    Why the pricing of different memory models stays the same as last year? Apple said last year the memory price will be lower this year. 
    tzeshan said:
    For them, yes. For you, not so much. 
  • Reply 111 of 160
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tzeshan said:
    What do you believe should change with the pricing? Are you excluding all the other upgrades or are you basing this on the $100 divide between the otherwise identical iPhone tiers? If, say the difference was only $10 a piece do you think that it would make sense if Apple priced their iPhone tiers so close together or do you think that hardly no one would get the non-512 GB models which means they'd always be out of the 512 GB model with the others not selling which in turn makes them pointless to have? I don't know what Apple's prices are between the three tiers but being the key differentiator of the iPhone line it's clear that they average the profit margin of the entire line based on the collective of their tiers. You can also look at the price of the 512 GB models and then drop the prices by NAND difference from there and you'll see why it not good for Apple or the consumer to have the price so close together that having different capacities is pointless.
    edited September 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 112 of 160
    entropys said:
    DougE said:

Apple got rid of the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. It’s the 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max. And yes the 7 and 8 still exist for price reasons. My guess is the SE is gone because there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones.
    You mean there’s just not a big enough market for smaller phones with a geriatric processor. Just like the Mac mini and what Cook is tying to do to the MBA, the strategy is to reduce demand by offering a senescent product. A self fulfilling prophesy.
    The real reason SE is gone maybe technical. It is impossible to make a mother board that will fit into SE form factor. 
  • Reply 113 of 160
    saarek said:

iPhone Xr for me, my iPhone 6s Plus is getting a bit long in the tooth. I don't personally care about OLED, Apple's LCD's have always been top notch, and the camera will be more than good enough.

Don't know why anyone would pay an extra £250 for the iPhone Xs, smaller screen that just happens to be OLED and the same internals.

Agreed.
  • Reply 114 of 160
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    What do you believe should change with the pricing?
    The Xs costs the same as X. Last year the 256 GB model costs $150 more. This year should cost $100 more if memory price is lower as Apple promised last year. 
  • Reply 115 of 160
    The Xs Max costs similar to a 13" MacBook Pro. Could people really use Xs Max like a 13" MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 116 of 160
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    What do you believe should change with the pricing?
    The Xs costs the same as X. Last year the 256 GB model costs $150 more. This year should cost $100 more if memory price is lower as Apple promised last year. 
    I don't follow your logic on how the pricing of all the new components across a capacitity-tiered line of smartphones should be priced. If you believe that there's a 1:1 ratio where you see the drop of NAND fall by a certain percentage that should cause the drop of a complete CE drop by a certain percentage I can assure you that's not how it's done.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 117 of 160
    tzeshan said:
    The Xs Max costs similar to a 13" MacBook Pro. Could people really use Xs Max like a 13" MacBook Pro?
    Of course not. Each device is designed around different use cases, just as an iMac Pro can cost the same as a used automobile but neither can replace the other.
    anomeStrangeDaysdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 118 of 160
    tzeshan said:

Since when are costs determined like that?
  • Reply 119 of 160
    tzeshan said:

Because PC sales have dropped for years since the debut of iPhone.  Do you understand the reason? 
  • Reply 120 of 160
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    Because PC sales have dropped for years since the debut of iPhone.  Do you understand the reason? 
    So because the smartphones are eating into PC sales the iPhone should also reduce its price?
    watto_cobra