Apple announces colorful new 6.1-inch iPhone XR with full-screen Liquid Retina Display and...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    I love the colors but man those thick black bezels sure do stick out. image
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 62 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Just saw a hands on video and there is no equivalent to 3D Touch on this phone. That just baffles me. Apple is still supporting the technology as it’s in both XS models. If Apple still believes in then all new phones should have it. Bizzare.
    That means it's not a device for me. Even if I only use it for moving the cursor around in a text field it's invaluable for that one action.
    Also according to Ben Bajarin portrait mode on the XR only works with humans. Pixel 2 can do portrait mode on any object using one lens. That’s a bummer. Apple better make sure customers understand this,
    While I don't care about that specific feature, I agree that customers need to be made aware of both of these differences. I can only image the number of users that might go in to a purchase of an XR and not question those features being available on their new iPhone.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Soli said:
    amarkap said:
    amarkap said:
    I don't believe I was trying to manipulate the stock price (actually, I'm pretty [sure] Apple did that themselves).  
    Um... what? Apple ‘manipulates’ it’s own stock price? How so? Please shed some light.
    No. I won't do that. You know what I meant. You are a smart guy and I've read your post.  I know you are very knowledgeable about Apple...I've read your posts in the past and I respect you as a commenter and a participant here.

Again, you know where I am coming from and what I meant that there is no need to clarify anything for you. 

Yes, I forgot the word 'sure'.  Typing on an iPad is never easy for me and I was typing fast before heading to work.
    It sounded like you’re claiming Apple is making illegal moves in regard to their stock price. If you mean to the mundane and obvious announcement and release or products to sell and continual move to more efficiency so that they can increase revenue and profits while reduction costs then there’s nothing nefarious about hat and I didn’t capture that meaning at all in your original comment. Since you now refuse to clarify your obtuse meaning it sounds like Anant had your intent correct the first time.
    Ugh, this is going on too much Soli.  No I meant nothing like that...I honestly wish this whole stock manipulating thing wasn't even attachment to my post but I did reference those words so it is on me and my doing.  I own that.

Of course, I originally mentioned the stock got hammered but I never mentioned anything about manipulating the stock.  But someone called me out that that is what I was doing when I wasn't and I pushed it back to Apple because I thought their show was weak and that caused the stock to tank (or at least not trend towards the green at the end of the day but instead towards the red).  That is all I meant...by having a weak event (and to me rather boring iPhones) will cause the market to beat them up. 

That is all I meant by those few words I wrote. 

Apologies.
    sphericGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 64 of 68
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    supadav03 said:
    This looks like a really great phone. I was torn between the XR and Max, especially when I heard there was a blue color option. It’s lighter than I would have wanted. Was hoping for a more midnight blue color. Guess i’ll ne going Max. Why wife will like upgrade from her 7 Plus to a coral XR. 
    The thing that surprises me about the XR is that it’s battery time specs for internet (15 hr) and Video playback (16 hour) is better than the XS Max internet (13 hr) and video playback(15 hour).
    of course with the XS and XSMax you get the dual camera.   As nice as the XR is i’m Not sure I would give up the Telephoto lens that I have on 7+ and 8+.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 68
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Soli said:
    What does the 'R' stand for? I looked at a thesaurus and the only synonym for color that starts with 'R' is race… and I'm certain that's not Apple's reasoning.
    Retina
  • Reply 66 of 68
    The R sets the baseline for the iPhone going forward. This is actually the first device in a few years Apple has released that offers value in terms of the high end of the lineup. I would have expected the R to have one-sim, A11 Bionic, and a smaller screen for $699...a very neutered Xs that would have easily upsold to the Xs/Max. Instead we got the latest features packed into a phone with only the compromise of the screen and camera. Even the storage upgrade is $50!  Not a $100 like in the old days.

Reading between the specs here I wonder if Apple isn’t entirely gang busters for OLED (cost and manufacturing yield).  I have a feeling they are tempering demand for it with the high price, as was the case last year. The R is the flagship they can print out enough yield to meet demand with the quality standard Apple is known for.
    ronn
  • Reply 67 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jonagold said:
    The R sets the baseline for the iPhone going forward. This is actually the first device in a few years Apple has released that offers value in terms of the high end of the lineup. I would have expected the R to have one-sim, A11 Bionic, and a smaller screen for $699...a very neutered Xs that would have easily upsold to the Xs/Max. Instead we got the latest features packed into a phone with only the compromise of the screen and camera. Even the storage upgrade is $50!  Not a $100 like in the old days.

Reading between the specs here I wonder if Apple isn’t entirely gang busters for OLED (cost and manufacturing yield).  I have a feeling they are tempering demand for it with the high price, as was the case last year. The R is the flagship they can print out enough yield to meet demand with the quality standard Apple is known for.
    The $50 charge for the next highest capacity of the iPhone XR line is interesting since that's the key differentiator for each iPhone line. However, it is inline with what they're charging to go from 64Gb to 256GB for the Phone XS series. The 128GB model could be so popular at just $50 more that they may end up dropping the 64GB iPhone XR price by $25–50, dropping that option all together, or perhaps deciding to follow the Phone XS series next year by going only stepping up the capacity if it's at least 128GB. Perhaps by then we'll also see the price difference drop to $100 again.

Also interesting about this model is that iit has the best overall battery life of any iPhone with 2 additional hours of internet use and an extra hour of wireless video playback.

ronnjonagold