Apple discontinues sales of iPhone X, 6S, 6S Plus and SE

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68

Insane pricing. Still no LTE band updates to the older devices. With the demise of the SE and the 6s and raising the pricing floor of their lineup by $100, a withdrawal from value-priced phones. But they'll probably get away with it because of the carrier-locked phone and software mess on Android.
    Who cares about the slot for the 6s, when you've got the 7 and the 8? I'm sure they will get priced very "budget".
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Bummer for those who recently bought iPhone X.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    SE was perfect size for many people.  Hopefully they introduce something similar in the spring with updated innards.  
    baconstangmattinozatomic101
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Insane pricing. Still no LTE band updates to the older devices. With the demise of the SE and the 6s and raising the pricing floor of their lineup by $100, a withdrawal from value-priced phones. But they'll probably get away with it because of the carrier-locked phone and software mess on Android.
    Huh? How are they priced insanely when the X has been their best-selling of the lineup the past year? People have voted with their dollars -- the X is offering value for their money.

It has nothing to do with Android sucking.
    tmayradarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 45 of 68
    wood1208 said:
    Bummer for those who recently bought iPhone X.
    What are you talking about? You can say that about literally any product that is bought prior to its replacement model being released.
    mattinozradarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 46 of 68
    backstab said:
    cgWerks said:
    The SE is dead?
    ...  That's going to upset a LOT of people who liked it for its size.
    ...  Even Steve Jobs said that that size was ideal.  (But that was back when phones were used to make phone calls)

That's a shame.   Apple now no longer has a small form factor.
    Agreed. My SE should last a couple more years, hopefully. And, then I guess I'll be looking elsewhere unless Apple gets their heads on straight before then.
    Where are you going to look, for something that is comparable to SE?
    I suspected this may happen.  I've looking at Apple Watch as a replacement for my iPhone SE.  Series 4 probably makes that a little easier.  

I'm a beta tester for the Hydrogen One phone from RED - which is a much better camera and media player and ad-hoc web browser than any Apple device (a little subjective - but you gotta see this thing).

AWS4 for messaging, and RH1 for camera (and I usually carry a kindle if I'm likely to have some serious reading time, like on the train/bus).
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 47 of 68
    SE was perfect size for many people.  Hopefully they introduce something similar in the spring with updated innards.  
    I think if they were going to update it, they would have kept the current SE for sale. But they removed it, so they will probably not offer any replacement for it.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    AI_lias said:
    I think if they were going to update it, they would have kept the current SE for sale. But they removed it, so they will probably not offer any replacement for it.
    Maybe they wanted a complete break from that form factor, with enough space to come back and introduce something new at a similar size. 
  • Reply 49 of 68
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Whither SE  :'(

Not a fan of bigger phones - never have been. So I think I'm hanging onto my SE for a while and just getting an Watch instead of a new iPhone. I've never worn a watch of any kind, but the Series 4 is crazy nice, so I might just be tempted to finally give it a try?
    backstabbaconstangphilboogie
  • Reply 50 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    AI_lias said:
    Maybe they wanted a complete break from that form factor, with enough space to come back and introduce something new at a similar size. 
    That’s a good thought.  Come back in the spring with a 4.7” or 5” in the same all-screen form factor as the X models.  It’d be the ultimate SE.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 51 of 68
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    backstab said:
    Where are you going to look, for something that is comparable to SE?
    I don't know. I keep hoping Apple will come to their senses (i.e.: a few glimmers of hope on the Mac front recently), but then they do something like this.
    Maybe I'll just go with a laptop/tablet and a flip-phone as someone else mentioned. That might ultimately be a healthier thing in the long run anyway.

StrangeDays said:
    Huh? How are they priced insanely when the X has been their best-selling of the lineup the past year? People have voted with their dollars -- the X is offering value for their money.
    True... Apple is just going to keep raising the prices to see how much they can possibly get out of people for a phone. Guess how much the phones will cost next year if people don't back off in their buying?

arthurba said:
    I suspected this may happen.  I've looking at Apple Watch as a replacement for my iPhone SE.  Series 4 probably makes that a little easier.  

I'm a beta tester for the Hydrogen One phone from RED - which is a much better camera and media player and ad-hoc web browser than any Apple device (a little subjective - but you gotta see this thing).

AWS4 for messaging, and RH1 for camera (and I usually carry a kindle if I'm likely to have some serious reading time, like on the train/bus).
    Well, that's another thing. At some point, too many straws might break this camel's back. And, I doubt I'm the only one. The more Apple screws up, the bigger the opportunity for competitors to step up. But, if too big of parts of the Apple eco-system become no-gos, I'm going to have to piece together some other eco-system, and then it won't be worth paying the Apple tax.

AI_lias said:
    Or, they feared it would start taking too many sales away from the new line. Whatever the reason, it was a really crappy move.

just cruisin said:
    That’s a good thought.  Come back in the spring with a 4.7” or 5” in the same all-screen form factor as the X models.  It’d be the ultimate SE.  
    Why not just keep selling it then, or just not update it? A break from the form-factor? Like, we're all going to forget there was once an SE in the next year?
    I don't care if it is a couple mm bigger or smaller, or even slightly different in form, etc. Though, all the new designs aren't nearly as nice as the SE, IMO. But, just because they take a break won't make me think much differently about that.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Bob BowserBob Bowser Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I plan to keep my iPhone SE until they reintroduce a smaller form factor. I think Apple may find that many people will delay upgrades, as they did after the retirement of the 5S, when they introduced the SE, and found point up demand. I don't know how many people don't want an "SUV" phone, but I imagine there are many Apple hardcore proponents, a pretty core group of design aesthetic driven buyers, that will not give in or seek another alternative if it appears.
    baconstangatomic101
  • Reply 53 of 68
    tedp88 said:

They're reaching MB pricing territory.
    Is that MacBook or Mercedes Benz? Both are appropriate 
     :D 
  • Reply 54 of 68
    urashid said:
    uktechie said:
    I love my iPhone X but several family members prefer the iPhone SE and I’ve fond memories of having a small light-weight iPhone that easily fitted in my pocket. 

I’m hoping for a ‘one more thing’ iPhone SE-X launch in October just after they announce new Retine MacBook Airs and the edge-to-edge OLED iPad X...

Is that likely? If they were doing a new SE you”d expect it to be included in today’s but who knows? Maybe they want to get the premium orders out the way first and didn’t want to confuse everyone with four new iPhones in one event?
    Apple won't release a new, low(er) priced phone before the Christmas season, it will eat into the sales of their premium products.

I expect a smaller version of XR, with A11 processor, slightly bigger than SE but in the same size category, starting around $499, in March 2019.  It will sell very well.
    If Apple does come out with that version of iPhone you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be $499.  More like $599 / $649
  • Reply 55 of 68
    urashid said:
    uktechie said:
    I love my iPhone X but several family members prefer the iPhone SE and I’ve fond memories of having a small light-weight iPhone that easily fitted in my pocket. 

I’m hoping for a ‘one more thing’ iPhone SE-X launch in October just after they announce new Retine MacBook Airs and the edge-to-edge OLED iPad X...

Is that likely? If they were doing a new SE you”d expect it to be included in today’s but who knows? Maybe they want to get the premium orders out the way first and didn’t want to confuse everyone with four new iPhones in one event?
    Apple won't release a new, low(er) priced phone before the Christmas season, it will eat into the sales of their premium products.

I expect a smaller version of XR, with A11 processor, slightly bigger than SE but in the same size category, starting around $499, in March 2019.  It will sell very well.
    This would be great and would make my wife pretty happy.  I just hope it will carry the same IP67 ingress rating as most other iPhones.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    People who miss SE and looking for alternatives - There is a bad news for them. No OEM cares about you!!! This is the reality. Everyone knows the current available smallest sized phone is iPhone SE. What they don't realize is - second smallest sized phone(s) are ALL iPhones (7, 8, Xs) only. So there is NO choice for the people who want to continue to use SE sized phones once Apple completely exhausts all the remaining stock of SE. The iPhone 7, 8 and Xs would become the smallest sized phones which are worth buying (along with a bunch of similar sized Android phones which are not worth buying due to multiple reasons) once SE is completely not available. So instead of crying over something that is NOT going to be available (SE sized phones) in the future forever, better to get used to the "NEW" smallest sized phones (7/8/Xs) and move on.
  • Reply 57 of 68

In addition, the former Apple.com page for the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus now redirects to the main Apple homepage, indicating that they have been discontinued as well, at least in the United States. The same is true of the iPhone SE.

What you seem to have missed is that they are still listed, if you go to apple's iPhone section, click on the  "Compare" logo, you can then click on "Compare All Models", there you will see:

iPhone 6s/6s+
    iPhone 6/6+
    iPhone SE

If you go to the compare tab, you can put one of these up against the new iPhones, but, it says:

"Available at authorized resellers"

So, no, you cannot buy from Apple directly, however, these models are still available. (edit) This is a new move from Apple. I'm guessing they don't want to sell below a certain price point themselves, but, have lower price points from other resellers this way.

QUESTION: Does this mean Apple is still making them, or do they just have an overabundance of stock they need to sell out?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 58 of 68
    AI_lias said:
    I can only wish. For me the perfect iPhone would be the same sharp edge design as the iPhone SE, but the all screen and notch of the X (what would that be, 4.7" screen?), at the same exterior size as the current SE, and keep the headphone jack. Basically give the SE the Max screen treatment, same size as the small phone, much bigger screen. That phone would sell well, in my opinion.
    edited September 2018 baconstangcgWerks
  • Reply 59 of 68
    So, I'll probably shop for a used SE for my wife who needs to upgrade from a 5S and doesn't want to go bigger. I figure if she's getting by on a 5S now, an SE should still be pretty good for her for at least a couple more years (and then she may just have to face the inevitable, unless Apple does surprise us with a new smaller phone by some miracle).
    My question for the collective intelligence is what should I expect the SE market to do now? Will retailers start selling them off cheap and maybe I should be looking at new for a good deal? Or will prices hold as now they're in limited supply (I guess we don't fully know if Apple is still making them and just not selling them themselves or if they've stopped production for the U.S. market)? And with the used market, will people be offloading them at lower prices as a now older and discontinued model, or will prices start to actually creep up since demand in the used market might be greater coming from those who were waiting for an upgrade but now scrambling to snatch up what remains of the last good small phone?
    Thoughts before I buy?
    baconstang
  • Reply 60 of 68
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I plan to keep my iPhone SE until they reintroduce a smaller form factor. I think Apple may find that many people will delay upgrades, as they did after the retirement of the 5S, when they introduced the SE, and found point up demand. I don't know how many people don't want an "SUV" phone, but I imagine there are many Apple hardcore proponents, a pretty core group of design aesthetic driven buyers, that will not give in or seek another alternative if it appears.
    My only hope here is that given the low price of the iPhone 7, if enough people complain, someone at Apple might wake up and disconnect 'small' from 'budget'.
    The problem again, though, is that people have no choice. So, it will be hard to make any determination from sales data... which is what seems to be driving Apple's decisions (instead of common sense or actual intelligence).

canukstorm said:
    If Apple does come out with that version of iPhone you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be $499.  More like $599 / $649
    That's fine with me if the form-factor is close enough to the SE. I don't want rounded pill-shaped. I don't care if the screen is bigger (i.e. more edge-to-edge). But, I do care that it is easy to hold, use, and pocket.

muthuk_vanalingam said:
    People who miss SE and looking for alternatives - There is a bad news for them. No OEM cares about you!!! This is the reality. Everyone knows the current available smallest sized phone is iPhone SE. What they don't realize is - second smallest sized phone(s) are ALL iPhones (7, 8, Xs) only. So there is NO choice for the people who want to continue to use SE sized phones once Apple completely exhausts all the remaining stock of SE. The iPhone 7, 8 and Xs would become the smallest sized phones which are worth buying (along with a bunch of similar sized Android phones which are not worth buying due to multiple reasons) once SE is completely not available. So instead of crying over something that is NOT going to be available (SE sized phones) in the future forever, better to get used to the "NEW" smallest sized phones (7/8/Xs) and move on.
    Or, stop buying. They make some fairly nice flip-phones that have basic communications capabilities. It might actually be healthier to do so, and it's harder to track flip-phones (so safer). I don't necessarily want to do this, but I'm also not necessarily just going to move on into Apple's stupidity.

benji888 said:
    This is a new move from Apple. I'm guessing they don't want to sell below a certain price point themselves, but, have lower price points from other resellers this way.
    Well, I'd agree, but aren't they are selling the iPhone 7 at SE-like prices? At first, I thought maybe that was the goal as well... push the price points up and eliminate the lower-cost options. That latter seems more like a 'new' Apple kind of move, for sure.

AI_lias said:
    I can only wish. For me the perfect iPhone would be the same sharp edge design as the iPhone SE, but the all screen and notch of the X (what would that be, 4.7" screen?), at the same exterior size as the current SE, and keep the headphone jack. Basically give the SE the Max screen treatment, same size as the small phone, much bigger screen. That phone would sell well, in my opinion.
    No doubt. We can dream, I guess.

hopestillflies said:
    My question for the collective intelligence is what should I expect the SE market to do now? Will retailers start selling them off cheap and maybe I should be looking at new for a good deal? Or will prices hold as now they're in limited supply (I guess we don't fully know if Apple is still making them and just not selling them themselves or if they've stopped production for the U.S. market)? And with the used market, will people be offloading them at lower prices as a now older and discontinued model, or will prices start to actually creep up since demand in the used market might be greater coming from those who were waiting for an upgrade but now scrambling to snatch up what remains of the last good small phone?
    That's a really good question. The answer there might actually be a good indicator of their popularity (vs 'budget' phone). They might end up like the Mac Mini 2012 Quad-core... i.e.: selling for more than new. If no one cares about the form-factor, then I suppose everyone will just move to the new low-priced 7.