Tidbits you might have missed about Apple's big September announcements

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
With a deluge of information presented in the span of a couple hours, Apple's press events can be overwhelming. That's why we've collected some of the smaller -- but still interesting -- tidbits that may have flown under the radar.

iPhone XS

AppleCare+

Those opting to bundle AppleCare+ with their new iPhone now have new option from which to choose. For a higher premium than vanilla AppleCare+, buyers can include loss and theft coverage for their new iPhone. Additionally, instead of paying for it as a lump sum, coverage can be paid for on a monthly basis.

AppleCare+ with added loss and theft protection includes up to two incidents and is subject to a deductible.

Apple Watch bands

Apple updated many of their watch bands following the event when its online store came back online.

Most of the updates were merely new colorways, nothing too flashy. One change that was notable, however, was the return of the Modern Buckle. Apple completely removed the Modern Buckle from sale earlier this year, seemingly discontinuing the style. For fans, that clearly isn't the case as the Modern Buckle is back and available in four new seasonal colors.

NFC support

Developers have been able to take limited advantage of the NFC readers on the iPhone, but iPhone XS and XS Max are bringing new capabilities to the table.

In short, users are no longer required to open an app before scanning an NFC tag, they can simply approach an NFC tag, wake their phone and the scanner will read the tag and trigger a notification.

Headphones

Lightning earbuds are still bundled with the latest iPhones, but the 3.5mm jack-to-Lightning adapter with DAC is no longer included. Apple bundled the accessory as a consolation for removing the headphone jack from iPhone in 2016.

The change was rumored for some time, with Cowen analyst Matthew D. Ramsay predicting as much earlier this year.

While we have long been fans of going wireless with AirPods, there is clearly still a strong demand for the tiny dongle. Best Buy even reported that the most popular Apple product of the past two years was the now un-bundled adapter.

eSIM

Dual SIM

Both iPhone XS models will support dual SIM functionality, with one physical SIM card and one eSIM (China will have two physical SIMs due to that country's regulations).

Unfortunately, as denoted by Apple's website, the eSIM won't be enabled at launch. Instead, users will have to wait for a software update to be released some time in the future.

Wireless charging

This year, iPhone XS and XS Max will be getting a speed boost, but not where you may think. Wireless charging will be faster on these latest handsets, going above the 7.5W currently supported on the iPhone X.

Unfortunately, there is no word on exactly what the speed will be.

Displays

Most of the specs on Apple's latest displays are similar to that of the iPhone X, but there are a few distinct differences. Among the more notable enhancements are a 120Hz refresh rate, better color accuracy and increased dynamic range.

Though it is 120Hz, the screen on iPhone XS is not to be confused with Apple's Pro Motion displays included on iPad Pro, which dynamically adjusts between 24Hz and 120Hz depending on content displayed. The higher rate on iPhone should prove beneficial in more accurately sensing touch events.

Cases

Forest Green iPhone XS Max Folio Case

All of Apple's cases got updated for the iPhone XS and XS Max, the folio among them.

The folio-style case was released with the iPhone X, and for the first time, is available in a second size. The folio case will work on both the iPhone XS as well as the XS Max. It runs $99 for the smaller size, while the 6.5-inch version comes at a $29 premium.

Apple Watch chargers

With the Series 3 Apple Watch, the aluminum Sport Edition did not include a wall adapter. Only the stainless steel and ceramic versions had this part bundled in the box.

Series 4 is righting the ship, with all models now including the 5W wall adapter.

Ceramic Apple Watches

Speaking of the Apple Watch, long gone is the ceramic Apple Watch Edition.

Last year, Apple discontinued the premium solid-gold Edition models and exchanged them for a still pricey ceramic version. Now, those have gone by the wayside as well.

Apple still includes a premium option though, debuting new Herm&aecutes versions with exclusive watch faces and elaborate leather bands.

Siri

Siri webpage

Siri has a new dedicated webpage that highlights all the different ways users can utilize Apple's digital assistant. There are examples throughout the page for many of Apple's devices, and highlights features many people may not have been aware of -- such as calling someone on speakerphone without touching your device.

Sprint

Apple's 2018 iPhones will support HPUE on Sprint's network. The new technology allows for almost 80-percent more range and significantly better obstacle penetration.

Users in cities where walls and buildings often block cellular signals should see the biggest benefit.

Currently, HPUE is only in use by Sprint, but as other carriers roll out support, the new iPhone lineup will be ready.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I just want a new MacBook thanks

• Reply 2 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Cannot recall - was the move to 7 nm predicted? Astounding tech, well done Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    As a physicist with an interest in optics, I rather like the look of 70 Å lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    iqatedo said:
    Cannot recall - was the move to 7 nm predicted? Astounding tech, well done Apple.
    Yes, you can read it here: https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-xs-a12-bionic-chip-is-industry-first-7nm-cpu/

Oh nvm, misunderstood your question. Not sure if it was predicted but Huawei announced they are are going for 7nm, and since Huawei and Apple use TSMC, it's kinda known.
    edited September 2018 iqatedo
  • Reply 5 of 16
    kevin kee said:
    iqatedo said:
    Yes, you can read it here: https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-xs-a12-bionic-chip-is-industry-first-7nm-cpu/
    Thank you. Mind blowing really.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    kevin kee said:
    iqatedo said:

Oh nvm, misunderstood your question. Not sure if it was predicted but Huawei announced they are are going for 7nm, and since Huawei and Apple use TSMC, it's kinda known.
    That's okay - I guessed you were going for announcements rather than predictions.  :)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I know how make this thread bulge with comments ... what about the Mac [rhymes with Siri]  :D
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The jump to 7 nm was predicted because TSMC was able to fab it now. The Mac is still stuck using 14 nm intel chips. Oh well, I don't want them to release faster MacBook Pros any time soon since I just got a 13 inch i7 and paid through the nose for it! (Though my new iPhone will probably be able to match it once I get it!)
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 16
    You should add the XR portrait mode only works with humans whereas the XS models work with humans and objects.
    doozydozenllamawillcropoint
  • Reply 10 of 16
    The iPhone XS won’t come with a 120Hz refresh rate - it’s solely a 120Hz Touch Input refresh rate. That’s the same as the iPhone X. The screen will still refresh at 60Hz
    GeorgeBMacdoozydozenllamawillcropointspace2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    What is depressing is the iPhone comes with the same charger as the Apple Watch. Ridiculous.

No doubt someone will try to reason that away. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdoozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Here’s an overlooked tidbit: Apple Watch is now a medical-grade device for measuring/tracking/recording heart data, and that means it’s likely to get approval for subsidies by employees and insurance companies.  That’s actually bigger than a tidbit.  
    pujones1SpamSandwichdoozydozenllamaclaire1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    So what process size does the S4 use?!  This would have benefited most from 7nm, damn shame if that wasn’t used there!
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Here’s an overlooked tidbit: Apple Watch is now a medical-grade device for measuring/tracking/recording heart data, and that means it’s likely to get approval for subsidies by employees and insurance companies.  That’s actually bigger than a tidbit.  
    Sir that was the icing on the cake for me and how sweet it is. I had the exact same thought and jumped for joy when it was announced. The watch has so much untapped potential and we are starting to tap some of that. Lol. 

IMHO Apple Watch stole the show. That’s what I’m preordering!
    kiowavtdoozydozenllamaclaire1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Faster FaceID apparently. I want to see how much faster. This little tidbits makes a big difference after years of iPhone time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    7nm was first discussed with the acquisition from IBM by Global Foundries. They were ramping up before a nerw CEO arrived whose changing direction.

AMD was prepped for both GloFo and TSMC and moved solely to TSMC with GloFo's new CEO [and presumably with the blessing of the major owners] to back off on 7nm for the near future.

Apple is the first on mobile and AMD will be the first on GPGPUs/CPUs in the destop/laptop/workstation/server space.
    edited September 2018 jony0