Apple debuts 5.8-inch iPhone XS and 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max with OLED screens

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 160
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    djsherly said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

Here the top model Xs Max will sell for the equivalent of about $2000. 
    The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    ElCapitan said:
    The sticker shock adds to the meh. Outside the US the prices including VAT, tariffs and whatnot make these new phones out of reach for a large segment of potential customers.  Even if they still keep the 7 and 8 models, those will feel like the big middle finger to many. 

The Xs is the same price as the X was last year.  The Xr is $150 less than that and the Xs Max is just $100 more.  All US prices of course, but if this price point didn't hurt them last year, why would it suddenly do so now?
    Because our exchange rate hit the shitter. At the same price point in the US, the new base phone is 150 dollarydoos more expensive than last years model (noting theyve kept the same price in USD) and it only goes up from there, obviously. 

Same with apple watch, its about 100 more expensive but i will probably spring for it because of the ECG feature. (Assuming its switched on in the firmware in Australia)

Edit: before anybody stands on my tits, the base phone difference is a little smaller than 150, maybe more like 100, perhaps less.

So you’re saying that had you bought last year’s X model a week ago, suddenly the exchange rate over the last week is making this year’s X model a hundred Australian dollars more expensive?  Not understanding your logic. All that’s really happened in a week is that the same phone with a fast processor and an S tagged onto its name is now for sale for the same price (whatever price that is in your country) as you would have paid a week ago for the now discontinued model.  

So maybe you’re really complaining about the exchange rate versus a year ago, which anyone could do at any moment while lamenting the relative increase in local price of any product.  You’ve just chosen this moment and this product to voice your disdain.  I get it. 
    djsherly said:
    ElCapitan said:

ElCapitan said:

Because our exchange rate hit the shitter. At the same price point in the US, the new base phone is 150 dollarydoos more expensive than last years model (noting theyve kept the same price in USD) and it only goes up from there, obviously. 

Same with apple watch, its about 100 more expensive but i will probably spring for it because of the ECG feature. (Assuming its switched on in the firmware in Australia)

Edit: before anybody stands on my tits, the base phone difference is a little smaller than 150, maybe more like 100, perhaps less.

So you’re saying that had you bought last year’s X model a week ago, suddenly the exchange rate over the last week is making this year’s X model a hundred Australian dollars more expensive?  Not understanding your logic. All that’s really happened in a week is that the same phone with a fast processor and an S tagged onto its name is now for sale for the same price (whatever price that is in your country) as you would have paid a week ago for the now discontinued model.  

So maybe you’re really complaining about the exchange rate versus a year ago, which anyone could do at any moment while lamenting the relative increase in local price of any product.  You’ve just chosen this moment and this product to voice your disdain.  I get it. 
    No. I’m not really saying that at all. Apple as you probably know doesn’t adjust its prices weekly in its non-us market. In fact, changing pricing during a products life has rarely occurred from memory.

As far as I know the iPhone X price here in AUD has remained as it was on the day of release, so to answer your first question, yes. If I bought an iPhone X last week it would be about a hundred dollars less than this years XS model. 

And if I was going to make of point of it, then the time is now, when the pricing is released, right? At what other time would doing so make sense?

Finally, there’s no complaining in my post, but an explanation of why the price the higher and what the difference is. I even mentioned I’d probably be buying something. 

why so touchy? You’re angling for a fight where there is none to be had. 

edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 142 of 160
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    kevin kee said:
    Does anyone know which new phone camera has the capability of controlling depth of field after you shoot? Will it be tied up to a specific hardware (for example if it required A12 Bionic Neural Engine to process) or it's only a software control?
    I believe all of the newly released ones, just the way it’s done is slightly different
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 143 of 160
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Solid updates all round. Pretty much what we expect from the S part of the cycle, which is where I dive in. 

Only thing I didn’t like was the skit at the beginning. 

When they opened the case and Cook pulls out the clicker I was quite disappointed: I would’ve put money on the high value item being Craig Federighi’s wig. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 144 of 160
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    djsherly said:
    kevin kee said:
    Does anyone know which new phone camera has the capability of controlling depth of field after you shoot? Will it be tied up to a specific hardware (for example if it required A12 Bionic Neural Engine to process) or it's only a software control?
    I believe all of the newly released ones, just the way it’s done is slightly different

All have Portrait mode, but the Xr has a few less effects for Portrait Lighting. All have the A12 Bionic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 145 of 160
    DougEDougE Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    claire1 said:
    DougE said:
    WTF is Apple doing? This new phone lineup makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Dropped the SE (now there is no small option), kept the 7/7+, kept the 8/8+, new Xr, then Xs and Xs Max.  

First - Why bother keeping the 7 Series? Just for the low price point? People that buy the lower price point usually also want a smaller phone.

Second - Why introduce the Xr at all when they are still keeping both the 8 Series and the 7 Series?   

Third - The Xs and Xs Max are the only ones that actually make sense.  

Apple's new lineup is just ridiculous now with way too many options.  They should have reduced it to: Xs/Xs Max, 8/8+, and SE-style size with updated internals.  

I think I'm just going to hold on to my 7 until it dies; I'm not interested in any of these new phones.
    3 iPhones is too many options?

Why is it only Apple that gets criticized for this? The knockoffs can release 30 models and no one peeps a word. 
    Technically it's four options: Xs, Xr, 8 and 7.  I've been using iPhones ever since the 3GS, I just think they are really crowding up the lineup; it's the same way with the MacBooks.  And yes, Samsung, LG etc...have been notorious for releasing way too many different phones that are pretty much all the same.   
    3 iPhones were announced. THREE. If you count the obligatory old models that's 11 total or 4 total options as you say. Wait, add in X which I think will continue to be on sale.

What did you expect with the 3GS? They didn't even have a big screen demand back then and the iPhone didn't go back 4 generations.
    It's not like they were gonna sell:

Motorola Rokr
    iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS

Get real man. There's not "too many" options. I agree it could be less but it's not even close to "too many". I would have dropped 7 and made R a smaller budget iPhone with the screen size of SE but smaller overall size. Maybe they can drop "plus" sized models but then people would complain that there's no big option.

But even dropping 7, it would be "too much" for you guys:

iPhone 8/8 Plus
    iPhone X
    iPhone X R
    iPhone XS/Xs Max

Wow so many and I don't know what to choose! Time to switch to android where theres a new knockoff released a week!
    Jesus take a pill; I'm sorry I had an opinion and don't feel like kissing Apple's a*s right now.  Guess I better switch to Android before you kick me out of the Apple club anyways.  
    What next? You're gonna call me a sheep for staying facts and my own opinion?

Oh you're one of those 5 post Debby downers who only signs up to rain on Apples parade every keynote.

If "too many options"(3) is your biggest complaint about the keynote then you really need to leave your suburb. 
    For the record, this is the first (and last) time I have ever posted a comment on this site.  I read AppleInsider every day because I do love Apple products and I like to keep up-to-date on the latest trends etc...I did not comment to start a fighting match with someone else.  You don't know me, and no, I don't live in the suburbs.

My final thoughts: I think this new iPhone product lineup and naming scheme just seems a little odd/confusing to some people, but each his own.  The new AppleWatch, however, looks fantastic and I may buy that and hold off the iPhone upgrade for another year.
  • Reply 146 of 160
    --- New Bokeh effect slider not for iPhone X?  ---

So I understood that the new Bokeh effect slider that allows to change it after shooting a photo is not available for the iPhone X. I have iOS 12 GM installed on my iPhone X but that feature does not appear there. Why is Apple not offering this to their, not even 1 year old, 1'000$ flagship? I assume only due to marketing reasons, can't imagine that it would not work on an iPhone X due to technical reasons. This is very disappointing!
  • Reply 147 of 160
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    DscheyH said:
    --- New Bokeh effect slider not for iPhone X?  ---

So I understood that the new Bokeh effect slider that allows to change it after shooting a photo is not available for the iPhone X. I have iOS 12 GM installed on my iPhone X but that feature does not appear there. Why is Apple not offering this to their, not even 1 year old, 1'000$ flagship? I assume only due to marketing reasons, can't imagine that it would not work on an iPhone X due to technical reasons. This is very disappointing!
    The only technical reason I can think of is that the A11 (in the X) doesn't have enough "neural engine" compute power to compute the Bokeh effect in real time, while the A12 does (600 billion vs. 5 trillion computes per second, so over 8x the compute power difference). I think the number of cores is also higher in the A12.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 148 of 160
    I think Apple has reached a point where as much advancement they've done, it's all just refinements and no new additional functionality.  The reason I often jump back and forth between iPhone and Android is that the Android devices allow me to do work while the iPhone is just a communication device.  Apple really need to put a iPhone Pro that is akin to the Samsung Note series and blur the lines between the iPad and iPhone.  A lot of folks carry iPad and iPhone because the iPhone just can't do work.  But now I carry just the Note 9 because I can do work with it.

All Apple needs to do is open up iOS so that you can use the iPhone like a desktop OS.  This constantly refinement of iPhone without additional usage that are just locked away isn't going to sell more iPhones.  People are just buying new ones when their old stops working.  

• Reply 149 of 160
    vision33r said:
    I think Apple has reached a point where as much advancement they've done, it's all just refinements and no new additional functionality.  The reason I often jump back and forth between iPhone and Android is that the Android devices allow me to do work while the iPhone is just a communication device.  Apple really need to put a iPhone Pro that is akin to the Samsung Note series and blur the lines between the iPad and iPhone.  A lot of folks carry iPad and iPhone because the iPhone just can't do work.  But now I carry just the Note 9 because I can do work with it.

All Apple needs to do is open up iOS so that you can use the iPhone like a desktop OS.  This constantly refinement of iPhone without additional usage that are just locked away isn't going to sell more iPhones.  People are just buying new ones when their old stops working.  

"But now I carry just the Note 9 because I can do work with it."

What work do you do with the Note 9 that you can't do on an equivalent iPhone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 150 of 160
    Nice analysis of the new model lineup:

https://stratechery.com/2018/the-iphone-franchise/
  • Reply 151 of 160
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

"Magical" is in your mind.
    I know this isn't what you meant, but the watch changes seem magical to me now. It's still a young product category, and the changes from year to year are still amazing to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 152 of 160
    vision33r said:

I do real work on my iPhone everyday. It’s how I run a business. What a terribly inaccurate post. 
    fastasleepRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 153 of 160
    q2hq2h Posts: 18member
    When Apple chose to talk about colors of the iPhone first, I felt they ran out of magic. I don't understand how people were up in arms about iPhone 1 being $600, but $1449.00 cell phones are a thing now? The new model entry is $750? I like the watch updates, though. For some reason, I was expecting an iPad update -- but iPads get their own event.

A iPhone that cost more than a thousand dollars needs to come with a fast charger and AirPods. This is the first year that I'm considering not upgrading from last year's model, and it's not because of the price.The only reasons I can think to upgrade are for the better screen and because it's newer and faster. I hope they don't pull the same crap with the chips as they did with the 7/8/X where I might buy the larger hotter chip over the smaller cooler chip between Samsung and TSMC. I got screwed each time with the hotter one.
  • Reply 154 of 160
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    The Xs Max costs similar to a 13" MacBook Pro. Could people really use Xs Max like a 13" MacBook Pro?
    Can you fit a 13” MacBook Pro in your pocket?  Could people really use a 13” MacBook Pro like a Xs Max?
    The answers are no. But your questions are reverse of what I asked. 
  • Reply 155 of 160
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    zoetmb said:
    It wasn't all that long ago that some of the more elite magazines wouldn't even accept photos from a full-frame camera - they wanted medium format.    
    I've been in high end publishing for 30 years including fashion, cosmetics, food, medical and automotive. You are correct about submitting actual film to the magazines. They did frown on 35mm. We mostly used 8 x 10, but that was a long time ago. Ever since Photoshop was released in 1988 no magazine could even tell what format was used after it had been manipulated. They just evaluated it on screen or from a test print.  

The images coming out of the current iPhone are in many cases better than the 8 x 10 film that we used to scan on a drum scanner. Less noise, better color dynamics, etc. In the old days, there were many things that could compromise quality such as the speed of the film used, exposure, developing process, converting from negative to positive and scanning that could could all compromise the quality at every step, introduce noise, color fall off, etc. and back then the lenses were not all that good because they were basically shaped by hand. Now days the lenses are completely shaped by computer and significantly more accurate. Also, with old film methodology you would make a Polaroid first to check exposure and focus and then load up your film, but still you only got one shot to get it right and then wait a few hours to get the results from the lab. Complete crap compared to today's digital work flow. 
    GG1fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 156 of 160
    Aloysius said:
    vision33r said:

I do real work on my iPhone everyday. It’s how I run a business. What a terribly inaccurate post. 
    You run a business, you mainly use it for communication and information access.  It can be done with any device under $100 these days.

A Note 9, surpasses any iPhone because I can connect it to a monitor or TV and use it like a PC.  Android is better for power users that need Application integration.  For example I can edit a spreadsheet and easily manage my documents without going through a bunch of dumbed down methods that Apple does. 

I'm IT Security Consultant, I can do my expenses, send invoices, check on my clients remotely, and access files on my Note 9 just like a regular computer.  With an iPhone, I am constantly fighting how Apps have to play nice with each other and some does and some doesn't support files accessed on dropbox and no way of connecting to a TV and accessing the iPhone like a Desktop since no mouse and keyboard support. 

This is why people still carry their macbooks and iPads.  Now I feel comfortable going to a client visit with just my Note 9 and not have to carry a bulky laptop as I can run a presentation with my Note 9.

• Reply 157 of 160
    q2h said:
    When Apple chose to talk about colors of the iPhone first, I felt they ran out of magic. I don't understand how people were up in arms about iPhone 1 being $600, but $1449.00 cell phones are a thing now? The new model entry is $750? I like the watch updates, though. For some reason, I was expecting an iPad update -- but iPads get their own event.

A iPhone that cost more than a thousand dollars needs to come with a fast charger and AirPods. This is the first year that I'm considering not upgrading from last year's model, and it's not because of the price.The only reasons I can think to upgrade are for the better screen and because it's newer and faster. I hope they don't pull the same crap with the chips as they did with the 7/8/X where I might buy the larger hotter chip over the smaller cooler chip between Samsung and TSMC. I got screwed each time with the hotter one.

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 158 of 160
    q2h said:

And then everyone complained about $600 being too much, so they lowered it to $400.
  • Reply 159 of 160
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    q2h said:
    q2h said:

And then everyone complained about $600 being too much, so they lowered it to $400.
    That's not why they lowered it.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 160 of 160
    lkrupp said:
    One big MEH!!! So disappointing!!!!
    Maybe your expectations are unreasonable?
    That’s very little innovation or progress from the iPhone X to this, to upgrade from my x to any of these phones is disappointing for this price. Apple even knew it was less innovative since they spent a good amount of time talking about environmental friendly parts rather than amazing new features. 
    Now describe to us what you would accept as innovation and progress. Let's hear it. The A12 Bionic sounds like some pretty nice progress to me. You throw those words around but offer no explanation. 
    First of all the camera, it’s still just 12 megapixels. There are many other smart phones with high resolution and better camera quality. They should have really made some big strides with camera instead of just improving what they already had. The technology is already there to make huge improvemts in phone cameras they just chose to improve upon what is already there.