iPhone XR hands-on: New model called 'fascinating,' 'a super-strange phone'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    M68000 said:
    If i missed this please correct me - but what does the "R" in the name of the phone mean?   Please no jokes, really wondering if this has been announced during the keynote or some other official way from Apple.
    Not indicated in the keynote or presentations, but I’m guessing Retina, as compared to the Super Retina description Apple gave to the XS models.  
  • Reply 42 of 60
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    I can’t see why someone would buy this instead of spending a couple more hundred dollars for the oled iPhone Xs. They really have this priced way too high for an lcd phone. 
    I see it the opposite way. They BOTH run the A12 Bionic, so why spend more for the same thing?

Also the iKnockoff fans are screaming that the XR has "HUGE" bezels, can anyone confirm the bezels are any bigger than the iPhone X?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 60
    I am a current owner of the iPhone X. With these new models, I see no incentive to upgrade to any of the three. I just can't justify spending those crazy prices. In Canada, the top phone (Xs Max 500GB) costs $1999 plus tax. That is $2,585. Damn! "Hmmm, should I buy a new phone or a MacBook Pro?"

• Reply 44 of 60
    6BQ56BQ5 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    I read a comment here that R stood for "Rainbow" since the phone comes in more colors - or will come in more colors.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    claire1 said:
    I can’t see why someone would buy this instead of spending a couple more hundred dollars for the oled iPhone Xs. They really have this priced way too high for an lcd phone. 
    I see it the opposite way. They BOTH run the A12 Bionic, so why spend more for the same thing?

Also the iKnockoff fans are screaming that the XR has "HUGE" bezels, can anyone confirm the bezels are any bigger than the iPhone X?
    I can’t confrim but it sure looks like it from photos. The size bezels are definitely bigger than some Android phones. The bezels and 3D Touch would stop me from getting a XR. 
    claire1
  • Reply 46 of 60
    YoRHa said:
    I’m curious why they’re $100 more than the off-contract price of all phones prior to them. Apple has its premium line; why couldn’t these have been $649 like the rest? And why get rid of the SE? WHY, Apple, did you get rid of the SE? Maybe the SE 2 will use the (4.7”) iPhone 7 case? That would allow for quite a bit more thermal tolerance, and they could slip maybe up to an A11 in there.
    iPhone 8 started at $699, iPhone 8 Plus started at $799. Except for the dual cameras, the Xr is more of a successor to the 8 Plus than the 8.
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 60
    M68000 said:
    If i missed this please correct me - but what does the "R" in the name of the phone mean?   Please no jokes, really wondering if this has been announced during the keynote or some other official way from Apple.
    My guess is because the letter R comes before the letter S...but still seems weird. I’d have expected it to be the “C”. 
    dedgecko
  • Reply 48 of 60
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    I associate the "R" with Retina (2x?) and the "S" with Super Retina (3x).
    But don't they use the word "retina" in all of their phones these days??  I thought "S" referred to Special - as in Special edition during the "S" years of the phones
    The only "Special" was the iPhone SE which was Special Edition. The S otherwise was never clearly defined. People speculated 3GS was for Speed, the 4S was for Siri, so forth, but none of this was reflected in the marketing. I don't believe 5c was ever clearly defined either, just guesses as to "Color" or "plastiC" :)

It's definitely not "Retina".

iPhone X S

Super Retina display in two sizes. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough dual‑camera system with Depth Control.

iPhone X R

All-new Liquid Retina display. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough camera system with Depth Control.

Retina is still a keyword in Apple's marketing parleance.
    But none of that indicates the R stands for “retina”, so...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 60
    techno said:
    I am a current owner of the iPhone X. With these new models, I see no incentive to upgrade to any of the three. I just can't justify spending those crazy prices. In Canada, the top phone (Xs Max 500GB) costs $1999 plus tax. That is $2,585. Damn! "Hmmm, should I buy a new phone or a MacBook Pro?"

iPhones aren’t really designed to be replaced annually. If you have the money or are an enthusiast sure great, but normals don’t typically replace them every year. Apple’s iterative development style isn’t meant to be OMG every iteration, but over time the difference from A to B is dramatic. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 60
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    I am sure he’s a good, competent person and all that, but I am not convinced that Mr. Patel should appear on videos. 
    Or write reviews at all. What's "super strange" about the XR? He says "It's got a bunch of the specs of the iPhone XS, but it's missing a whole bunch of stuff too." Yeah, that's how it works Einstein, when you make a lower-priced version...
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrastompy
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Wow! No iPhones for consumers living in the BRIC nations. Apple is doomed, as usual. /s
  • Reply 52 of 60
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    Phone-wise, these are nice updates in the context of an 's' cycle but personally I was disappointed that there was no truly 'affordable' new phone.

The Xr might be approaching 'affordable', price-wise in the US but in the EU it is out of range for many, possibly the majority.

I have already ruled the Xr out as an option for this year as a result.

There are other iPhone options but of course they are not 'new' phones and Apple itself is even using its own (current up until yesterday) iPhone 8 models to highlight the screens on the new X lineup. It is almost saying, 'you don't really want one of those big foreheads and chins, do you?'.

Well, the industry has been largely without those elements all year now, and anything with a big chin and forehead is very dated. As, in my case, any new phone would have to stretch into 2020, I'm not sure what I'll do. 

I will explain everything to my wife, give her the options, and she can decide but after a lot of recent building work and redecoration, she herself proposed reducing expenses for a while.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Methinks the Xr is looking squarely at 6s owners.  We never had 2 cameras...we'll get a new phone, eventually...and we aren't wasting money on the new whiz-bang features.

I see you, Apple.  But I'll upgrade my watch first :p
  • Reply 54 of 60
    M68000 said:

R comes before S. That is all.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    I must be getting old. These phone look wonderful expect for the price. I am still using my 6S. I am not sure when I will upgrade to the 8S. The cost needs to come down.
    I am a long time customer for Apple. All the way back to the Apple II.
    I’m in the same boat. These new phones are just too expensive. And so are the Macbook Pros. I’ll stick to my old gear for now. 
  • Reply 56 of 60
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    But don't they use the word "retina" in all of their phones these days??  I thought "S" referred to Special - as in Special edition during the "S" years of the phones
    The only "Special" was the iPhone SE which was Special Edition. The S otherwise was never clearly defined. People speculated 3GS was for Speed, the 4S was for Siri, so forth, but none of this was reflected in the marketing. I don't believe 5c was ever clearly defined either, just guesses as to "Color" or "plastiC" :)

iPhone X S

Super Retina display in two sizes. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough dual‑camera system with Depth Control.

iPhone X R

All-new Liquid Retina display. A12 Bionic chip. Advanced Face ID. A breakthrough camera system with Depth Control.

Yeah but "Liquid Retina"? So why not XL... oh right extra large. I dunno, it loosely fits I guess. 

I just meant in the past the only thing that had "Retina" in the product name was when they were differentiating MacBook Pro with Retina Display from the MacBook Pro without it. 
    So just what is Liquid about this Display?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    k2kw said:
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

iPhone X S

iPhone X R

Yeah but "Liquid Retina"? So why not XL... oh right extra large. I dunno, it loosely fits I guess. 

I just meant in the past the only thing that had "Retina" in the product name was when they were differentiating MacBook Pro with Retina Display from the MacBook Pro without it. 
    So just what is Liquid about this Display?
    Liquid Crystal Display obviously? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 60
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    claire1 said:

I can’t confrim but it sure looks like it from photos. The size bezels are definitely bigger than some Android phones. The bezels and 3D Touch would stop me from getting a XR. 
    Androids have the chin and forehead, yet they gloss over that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 60
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    The Future Xr, as opposed to the current XR, would be beneficial to a lot of people.  Many need a smaller iPhone that will easily fit in our pocket and communicate with the Apple Watch4.  128GB would suffice.

I just don't want a large phone.  The iPhone6S+ that I have "is now" too big".  Need smaller.

Therefore , I label it iPhoneXr, with a lower case "r" for smaller screen.

Also, the phone is now so powerful, it could be easily docked via Lightning and / or USB3c and perhaps it could control an external keyboard.
    We should think that what we see today in the marketplace is several generations behind what is actually running in the Apple Development Labs.
    We are waiting on the parts to become available in the quantity needed to permit the "next" phone to be manufactured & sold.

It is difficult for Apple to release new products all at once and perhaps even impossible to distribute them and fill up the supply lines to the stores.  Imagine the logistical nightmare when all those "new" products are shipped from various places to the stores at once and the people in the stores have to be able to train / sell / support them.

Please give us a small phone with a better iOS and better Apps.  The watch is step in the right direction, except I am thinking I will never be able to perform sleep studies or glucose monitoring via the current watch.  My opinion does not really count, but I think "older" people need early warning health diagnostics on their wrist.  And one more think, we need to be able to print out the data collected or transfer it to a larger device that can print it out for our MD's.  The Medical System in the US is broken and Apple and the AMA can help make it better for the citizens.