iPhone XS & iPhone XR shipments forecast to top 85M by end of 2018, most being XR

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
With just a few months left to go, the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR are nevertheless predicted to beat 85 million units by 2019, according to a new research estimate.

Apple iPhone XS and iPhone XR

The 6.1-inch XR, coming in October, should account for over 50 percent of those shipments, Digitimes Research said on Thursday. Claims are based on "supply chain information, Apple's annual sales and iPhones' ASPs [average sales prices] of the previous years," the firm explained.

The predictions are largely in line with pre-announcement estimates from the likes of analysts like Ming-Chi Kuo. The XR in particular has often been expected to be the bestselling iPhone this fall, owing to a more affordable price starting at $749. The product sports a single-lens camera and uses LCD instead of OLED.

The 5.8-inch iPhone XS costs at least $999, and the 6.5-inch XS Max begins at $1,099, making it more expensive than just about any of its rivals. A 512-gigabyte Max is $1,449 -- higher than some Macs.

The iPhone X also launched at $999 and has sold better than some analysts anticipated, but people who bought one may be unlikely to upgrade quickly. And while the XR is in some ways positioned as a "mid-range" phone like the iPhone 8 was, its inclusion of Face ID and an edge-to-edge display may make it feel like less of a compromise.

Preorders for the XS line start on Friday ahead of a Sept. 21 launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    The new iPhones and AppleWatch are great but I am disappointed by the prices.  Does anyone know how much the tariffs have contributed to the price increases?  The dollar after all is strong.  I anticipated Apple would include new USB-c chargers in the X models to make up for the estimated $100 price increase I see across the X models.

I love my iPhone X and I want other people to experience it and perceive a good value with the purchase.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    badmonk said:
    The new iPhones and AppleWatch are great but I am disappointed by the prices.  Does anyone know how much the tariffs have contributed to the price increases?  The dollar after all is strong.  I anticipated Apple would include new USB-c chargers in the X models to make up for the estimated $100 price increase I see across the X models.

I love my iPhone X and I want other people to experience it and perceive a good value with the purchase.
    Apple is about making money FIRST, they clearly proved that when they didn’t even include a fast charger with the Max that starts at $1100. I thought they would include them with all the phones this time around but no. They are still nickel and diming is because they know we will still pay.
    Sad but that’s how businesses work, make money for their shareholders and those high salaries for their execs.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    badmonk said:

Apple is about making money FIRST, they clearly proved that when they didn’t even include a fast charger with the Max that starts at $1100. I thought they would include them with all the phones this time around but no. They are still nickel and diming is because they know we will still pay.
    Sad but that’s how businesses work, make money for their shareholders and those high salaries for their execs.
    Would be nice to see the market push back on the pricing but I suspect Apple still has some room left to run. 
    edited September 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 4 of 16
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Faster charger? How many people don't have 3-4 faster chargers lying around? Apple did the right thing in not including a fast charger -- waste of money, waste of resources. 

In the last 3 years, I've haven't had to buy a new charger, never used the included charger, or even the included cable. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    badmonk said:

What price increase? The iPhone XS is the same price as the X from last year. 
    racerhomie3ericthehalfbeePickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    badmonk said:

If you're angry that Apple is making money for their shareholders, then become one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

Would be nice to see the market push back on the pricing but I suspect Apple still has some room left to run. 

People claimed there would be push back last year. iPhone X went on to become their best seller.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

People claimed there would be push back last year. iPhone X went on to become their best seller.
    What does that really mean, if it means anything at all?

In my book, and according to industry analysts too, iPhone X sold less in each successive quarter it was on sale. Gartner claims it ran out of steam earlier than any other Apple flagship.

As we wait for full year data (currently we don't even have that) we don't have nearly enough data to make any meaningful claims about performance.

Wait for full year performance data and then report back. AI has a piece claiming that estimates are for over 50% of the new model sales going to the lowest end X. It makes sense to me. Do you think that the $1,000+ phone will still be the most popular?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,310member
    avon b7 said:
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

In my book, and according to industry analysts too, iPhone X sold less in each successive quarter it was on sale. Gartner claims it ran out of steam earlier than any other Apple flagship.

As we wait for full year data (currently we don't even have that) we don't have nearly enough data to make any meaningful claims about performance.

Wait for full year performance data and then report back. AI has a piece claiming that estimates are for over 50% of the new model sales going to the lowest end X. It makes sense to me. Do you think that the $1,000+ phone will still be the most popular?
    $749 is the guaranteed minimum ASP for X models, and as these will likely exceed 70% of all iPhone sales, a huge increase in revenue, possibly a record ASP, not to mention a decent uptick in unit sales, for the upcoming quarter.

What is your response to Apple abandoning the SE and it's $349 price point?

Apple isn't following your plan!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    badmonk said:

One post moron be gone! ALL companies are about making money, EVEN charities! What a revelation this moment must be for you.
    Thank you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

$749 is the guaranteed minimum ASP for X models, and as these will likely exceed 70% of all iPhone sales, a huge increase in revenue, possibly a record ASP, not to mention a decent uptick in unit sales, for the upcoming quarter.

What plan is that?

I have an opinion, not a plan, but according to an article posted on AI today, Tim Cook wants to 'serve everyone' with the iPhone price range.

Uptick? Why wouldn't there be a seasonal uptick? Apple's release cycle makes multiple upticks during the year extremely unlikely, though.

As to my response to the elimination of the SE, I think it could be temporal. I don't know of course but Apple has an interest in developing markets and currently things don't seem to be playing out very well in those markets. Maybe something else is on the way.

What is clear is that the larger model spread is here to stay, the iPhone X was an anniversary phone, the iPhone 9 will never exist and Apple is still playing catchup in major areas of the smartphone feature set. This time it is trying again with colours (which are actually not bad) but the modem, battery and camera still behind.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 12 of 16
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    iPhone XR, NO Gold color ? Yellow or Coral is NO replacement for Gold.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Now they call themselves “Digitimes Research”? LMAO!

• Reply 14 of 16
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

I agree about the popularity of the XR and expect it to sell something around 60-65% compared to the 35-40% of the XS models, though who knows, it could be as high as 75%. But I think iPhone 7/7 Plus/8 (and also some 8 Plus but the pricing runs into the XR so I think 8 Plus suffers) will get a bigger portion of overall iPhone sales,  maybe 40%. Some of the higher priced configs of the older models will still pull up ASP though. With the floor being $449, it’ll be interesting to see how high ASP goes, though the SE sold relatively poorly. So it’s not as though there were a lot of sales at $349 and killing ASP; even the 128GB model was $449 iirc. 

Really, $449 for the recent-flagship iPhone 7 is a steal. It’s still every bit as good as it was at its release two years ago. Just because Apple has brought out better/ faster devices in the meantime doesn’t take away from its excellence; it’s a great phone, and a great value. Apple will sell a ton of them, just based on price, and customers still get an excellent iPhone. It’s just no longer “the best”. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    avon b7 said:
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

iphone sales were- Q1-77.3 M  Q2-52.2 M Q3-41.3 M so it only makes sense iphone X would sell less in each successive qtr. But it's obvious that every other model sold less as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    RonnnieO said:
    avon b7 said:
    seankill said:
    badmonk said:

iphone sales were- Q1-77.3 M  Q2-52.2 M Q3-41.3 M so it only makes sense iphone X would sell less in each successive qtr. But it's obvious that every other model sold less as well.
    Yes, that's true. It makes total sense seeing that Apple only has one release every year which obviously leads to pent up demand which peters out over the following quarters.

It's also logical for sales of other devices to fall too and for the same reason but we still don't even have data for one full year.

That puts 'most popular' claims into perspective. We should wait until we have full year data to hand.

While prices without sales taxes might be reasonable for some people's pockets, in large swathes of the world where sales taxes are a reality, the sale of the new models will be much harder. Especially as competitors are already (and will continue) offering more than is currently available from Apple in key areas for less outlay.

edited September 2018