Compare the iPhone XS and iPhone XR versus the size of other iPhones with this printable g...

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2018
There are a lot of possible screen sizes for the iPhone. AppleInsider shows you exactly the size of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR -- and how they compare to other recent models.

You've had this conversation, we've had this conversation: the iPhone SE is tiny and it's a shame there's no longer any iPhone that small. Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone X, then the difference is startling. For all that huge screen on the iPhone X, the case isn't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.

It's something you have to see to really have a good feeling for it -- and it's something you need to know before you buy.

So here's the AppleInsider guide to iPhone sizes. We've included the iPhone SE and the iPhone X for comparison but otherwise this is every current iPhone model.

Inside the PDF you'll find full-size photographs of each model and you can print them out to compare. Download the embedded PDF below, or download from AppleInsider directly, and print it out. We've got a scale on each page that you should measure after you print, as characteristics of printers and drivers can vary somewhat. Scale accordingly.

Detail from the AppleInsider iPhone Size Guide

On the front cover, though, there is a guide to all nine iPhones covered: it's a graphic scaled to exactly 50 percent size so you can see for yourself just how the entire range varies.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Did this before and it’s helpful to understand the real sizes of the phones involved, but the real test is holding the phone. Feeling the heft, seeing the brilliant screens in person, that’s something that can’t be simulated.
    Muntzflashfan207chiaGeorgeBMacjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 24
    "This document has been removed from Scribd."
    doozydozencaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 24
    A name for this siteA name for this site Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    That was fast:

Notice

This document has been removed from Scribd.

• Reply 4 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Working on it, should be back in a few minutes.

Edit- appears to have been a temporary issue.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Is it each "phone", or each "screen"?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    backstab said:
    Is it each "phone", or each "screen"?
    Yes to both. The first image is just the phone sizes. The others in the document that are full-size are both the devices and screens.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Still appears to be down.  Actually clicked on Mike Wuerthele, to see everything that was uploaded, and still didn't see it.  Some interesting court related documents though.  May be thumbing through them later.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I'd like to see the iPad Mini thrown in for fun… maybe this should just be an app :)
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    For all that huge screen on the iPhone X, the case isn't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.
    A point that bears repeating. I bought my SE for the small size. A small screen was just a consequence of that small size. I'm very pleased with them increasing the screen size by eliminating the chin and forehead. I can't wait to hold an XS in my hand to see how it feels.
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    zerepjd said:
    Still appears to be down.  Actually clicked on Mike Wuerthele, to see everything that was uploaded, and still didn't see it.  Some interesting court related documents though.  May be thumbing through them later.
    Strange. We'll get a local download link up as soon as possible.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 24
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Most people don't have clown pockets in their pants, nor can they palm a basketball.
    baconstangGeorgeBMacfreethinkingcaladanianclaire1
  • Reply 12 of 24
    i think a lot of people will be moving form the iPhone 7/8 to the Xs, or from the 7+/8+ to the Xs Max.  It would be nice to have those compared side by side as well...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    That's great. Interesting would be 6/7/8 vs. XS and 6 vs XR. That's from the Apple Website: ... seems I cannot copy & paste an image here. If you scroll down here a little, you can see this comparison. Appears, the XR is almost the size of the 6/7/8 Plus> https://www.apple.com/iphone-xr/
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    macapfel said:
    That's great. Interesting would be 6/7/8 vs. XS and 6 vs XR. That's from the Apple Website: /Users/Screenshot 2018-09-13 14.58.07.jpeg /Users/Screenshot 2018-09-13 14.58.15.jpeg
    Print it out, and do your own. They're all in there after the cover page, actual size.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I really like the XR and the colours. But – strangely – I think I have to dish out a significant amount of additional money to get a smaller phone (XS). That's probably what I will do, but I wished, there was an XR 'mini' the size of the XS or 6/7/8.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    nunzy said:
    Most people don't have clown pockets in their pants, nor can they palm a basketball.
    I wear slim fit jeans and the iPhone 8 Plus fits in both the front and rear pockets just fine.  I can also palm a basketball . I guess I don't fit in the "most people" category.
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    "Except if you actually compare the iPhone SE with, say, the iPhone X, then the difference is startling."

I upgraded to X from 5S. When I opened the box, I thought, good gravy, what I have wrought, fearing I could barely hold this monstrosity, let alone fit it in a pocket. Now when I grab wife's 5S, it feels like a cartoon phone.
    GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichjccwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Scribd link is still not working.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Here is a website which can do side by side phone size comparisons.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size

• Reply 20 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    DAalseth said:
    For all that huge screen on the iPhone X, the case isn't truly that much bigger than that of the iPhone SE.
    A point that bears repeating. I bought my SE for the small size. A small screen was just a consequence of that small size. I'm very pleased with them increasing the screen size by eliminating the chin and forehead. I can't wait to hold an XS in my hand to see how it feels.
    Yes - That was the big advantage of the X, and now the Xs/Xr/Xs max. By getting rid of the chin and forehead you get a substantially larger screen area for a given body size. Even if you have a 'gawdawful ugly' notch that no one seems to care about anymore.
    watto_cobra