Woman in Apple Park 'Mission: Impossible' video took the long way around

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Why do I get the feeling this will be all over front page media just to ignore Apples big announcements?

I can see the headlines now:

"Apple can't even map their own campus correctly"
    "Siri and Maps still confused"
    "Maps is a failure and how it's taking Apple employees the long route"
    "Siri still a failure with Maps"
    "Even Apple employees are under the curse of Maps"

Guys, this was a short film. If it were 100% accurate it would be boring with less tension.

And no, the Apple Watch can't teleport you either. 

lovemn said:
    Too many senseless critics; that was a absolutely great way to open the show: “the clicker!”

What bothers the heck outta me is that they never use Apple TV remote as the clicker. Apple TV/Siri Remote is totally capable and free promotion. Instead they go with some 3rd party Microsoft-eque looking nerd gear. 

edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    claire1 said:

What bothers the heck outta me is that they never use Apple TV remote as the clicker. Apple TV/Siri Remote is totally capable and free promotion. Instead they go with some 3rd party Microsoft-eque looking nerd gear. 

I disagree. The ATV/Siri remote is particularly unsuited for this. It is slippery, and very prone to erroneous clicks. I don't dispute that using third party stuff is a bad choice, but a better choice is for Tim to use his iPhone or Apple Watch. Of course, neither of these can be handed off. 

And as I write this, it occurs to me that these events really are so finely scripted, that a clicker probably isn't really needed. The production staff can have a script (that is displayed in front of the presenters, who obviously rehearse this) to simple advance the slides on cue. 

But then we wouldn't have gotten the gag on the intro reel. I thought it was funny, and the advance tweet a bit of good fun.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    eightzero said:
    mike1 said:
    mac_128 said:
    eightzero said:
    Maybe the courier (and why if female, it is always a "girl?") 
    It's the last of American sexism. If this had been a male courier the person probably would have said the "man", not the "boy". He might have said "guy" which is universal accepted, and has become mostly genre neutral -- "hey guys" to a mixed sex group, or even only of women. But "girl" persists as the primary way to describe a woman in casual conversation, and it implies images of Barbie dolls, Miss America, and at the extreme end, powerless, weak individuals who have not yet matured into adulthood. And that is the danger of applying it universally to all women of any age as is the common practice to this day. If you call a man a "boy" in most the US, it will likely be interpreted as an insult, as I suspect it would be in most languages. Somehow, mainly men, do not see any issue with this practice, and perpetuate it on a daily basis. 
    Use of the word 'girls' does not necessarily imply weak females. It's all in the context. Ask a bunch of women/ladies/girls/gals what they say when they're going out together and they will call it 'Girls' Night'. Those looking for reasons to be offended will usually find one.
    More whataboutism. So tired of this. Maybe pay attention to context, and show some respect for the recipient of the message.(edit: Notice how AI does a nice job of this in the article by using the term "woman.")

And while we're on the subject, and at the risk of the a rebuke from the mods, I specifically noticed during Phil's excellent presentation about the camera tech, he was showing many photographs of portraits of people. beautiful pictures, really well done. The subjects of the portraits were impressively diverse. Apple does a good job of this, and are conscious of it.  But I did notice, that Phil most often commented on the "beautiful skin tones" when showing a white subject. 

So what do you call a male who is dating someone, if not "boyfriend"? A sixty-year-old man is still referred to as a boyfriend. What is it when women call refer to a young male suitor as in "She's seeing some new boy now"? It seems there is a window where english-speakers call young men and women as boy or girl. It isn't sexist if the language does it for both genders. 

What do we call it when some languages have nouns named in only a male or female spelling style? English isn't one, but others are.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 24 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

The route Harry Callahan runs around at the instruction of Scorpio also makes no sense, and may not actually be possible, certainly not in the time portrayed. They just wanted some cool shots of places in San Francisco.

It's called dramatic licence, people. Sure, sometimes, it should be revoked, but they were making a funny bit for a product launch, not a documentary.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Loved this introduction and of course, the way it merged with the (then) present time. The young lady almost running into one of those glass doors would have been a humorous nod the the apparent experience of many employees but I guess, a bridge too far.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mac_128 said:
    eightzero said:
    Maybe the courier (and why if female, it is always a "girl?") 
    It's the last of American sexism. If this had been a male courier the person probably would have said the "man", not the "boy". He might have said "guy" which is universal accepted, and has become mostly genre neutral -- "hey guys" to a mixed sex group, or even only of women. But "girl" persists as the primary way to describe a woman in casual conversation, and it implies images of Barbie dolls, Miss America, and at the extreme end, powerless, weak individuals who have not yet matured into adulthood. And that is the danger of applying it universally to all women of any age as is the common practice to this day. If you call a man a "boy" in most the US, it will likely be interpreted as an insult, as I suspect it would be in most languages. Somehow, mainly men, do not see any issue with this practice, and perpetuate it on a daily basis. 
    Or it’s simply that girl, boy and man are all single syllable while woman is 2. At least girl is its own word unlike woman which clearly originates from the word man.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    It was a nice, funny, enjoyable intro. I had a nice laugh.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    eightzero said:
    claire1 said:

I disagree. The ATV/Siri remote is particularly unsuited for this. It is slippery, and very prone to erroneous clicks. I don't dispute that using third party stuff is a bad choice, but a better choice is for Tim to use his iPhone or Apple Watch. Of course, neither of these can be handed off. 

And as I write this, it occurs to me that these events really are so finely scripted, that a clicker probably isn't really needed. The production staff can have a script (that is displayed in front of the presenters, who obviously rehearse this) to simple advance the slides on cue. 

But then we wouldn't have gotten the gag on the intro reel. I thought it was funny, and the advance tweet a bit of good fun.
    I see your point but a Siri remote is such an obvious choice.