Apple now accepting preorders of iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and Apple Watch Series 4 [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Apple on Friday began accepting preorders for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and Apple Watch Series 4 through its online store, giving early adopters a chance to get their hands on the latest and greatest devices to come out of Cupertino.

iPhone XS

Similar to previous iPhone launches, preorders first went live on the dedicated Apple Store app for iOS, with Apple.com coming online shortly thereafter.

The stainless steel iPhone XS and XS Max are available in the same silver and Space Black finishes seen on last year's iPhone X, but Apple is adding a new gold hue to the palette for 2018. Aside from a larger 6.5-inch OLED display and battery on the XS Max, the two handsets feature a largely identical array of components.

Prices start at $999 for the iPhone XS with 64GB of storage and move up to $1,149 for 256GB model. This year's top-end 512GB version comes in at $1,349. The iPhone XS Max sells for $1,099 with 64GB of storage, $1,249 for 256GB and $1,449 for 512GB.

Apple is launching the flagship iPhones in 33 countries and territories including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the UAE, UK, U.S. and U.S. Virgin Islands.

Preorders are schedule to arrive at customer doorsteps on Sept. 22. Apple is expected to have stock on hand at retail outlets located in the above launch countries that same day.

Another 29 countries, including Andorra, Armenia, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, India, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Monaco, Oman, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia and South Africa will gain access to the new handsets on Sept. 28.

Unveiled at a special event on Wednesday, iPhone XS and XS Max carry over Apple's iPhone X design language with a number of internal upgrades. A new A12 Bionic system-on-chip with next-generation Neural Engine powers marquee features like Face ID, ARKit augmented reality and Smart HDR photos.

The Neural Engine, in conjunction with iPhone's 12-megapixel dual camera system and custom ISP, powers advanced photography functionality like Smart HDR, enhanced bokeh quality in Portrait Mode photos and a new dynamic depth of field feature.

Apple Watch Series 4

Apple also opened preorders for Apple Watch Series 4, the first redesign of the wearable since it launched in 2015. Along with a larger OLED display, slimmer chassis and ceramic back for enhanced radio transparency, Series 4 incorporates an all-new heart rate sensor and electrodes capable of taking ECG readings.

Preorders for GPS-only versions of the device went live in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, UK, U.S. and U.S. Virgin Islands. GPS+Cellular and Apple Watch Herms models are available in Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, UK and U.S., with more countries to be announced later this year.

Orders are due to arrive on Sept. 21.

Apple Watch Nike+ went up for preorder in Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, UK and U.S. on Friday, and are expected to arrive on Oct. 5.

Apple Watch Series 4 with GPS sales will expand to Bahrain, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Guam, Hungary, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Macau, Monaco, Oman, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Slovakia and South Africa on Sept. 28.

Prices start at $399 for 40mm aluminum versions with GPS, while 44mm models go for $429. Aluminum models with cellular connectivity sell for $499 for 40mm and $529 for 44mm. All stainless steel models include GPS+Cellular capabilities and start at $699 for 40mm sizes and move up to $749 for 44mm.

For the latest Apple Watch Series 4 availability, prices and deals, make sure to check out AppleInsider's price guides.

Update: A number of iPhone XS, XS Max and Apple Watch Series 4 models sold out in a matter of minutes. Launch day stock of silver iPhone XS models tied to T-Mobile and Verizon were gone in less than ten minutes, while a variety of iPhone XS Max models saw sellouts on AT&T.

As of 12:30 a.m. Pacific, Sprint is the only carrier showing Sept. 21 availability for all iPhone XS and XS Max options.

Apple Watch Series 4 saw similar stockouts, with Space Black stainless steel models selling out in less than five minutes. By 12:30 a.m. Pacific, all stainless steel models -- save for the 40mm gold variant with Sport Band -- showed ship-by dates pushed into October. Apple authorized reseller and AppleInsider affiliate B&H Photo is also accepting Apple Watch Series 4 preorders with no sales tax collected outside NY and NJ (see terms and conditions). At press time, the retailer shows an expected availability date of Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    T-Mobile started theirs about 10 or 15 minutes early. I was in my T-Mobile account looking around, waiting, and when I went to one of the pages it had a button for pre-ordering the iPhone XS /XS Max so I clicked it, thinking it was just letting me pre-fill in and I would have to wait until midnight Pacific Time to actually place it. But no, it let me go all the way through the process, do their electronic docu-sign, and I was done about 5 minutes before kick-off. And they emailed me all the docs, and my pre-order shows in the order status, even now, after the kick-off has begun.
    Kuyangkoh
  • Reply 2 of 71
    12:04am in California. Apple’s own online store is not live yet. Patience is difficult. 

Update: site is live at 12:06. Order placed quickly with no connectivity issues. 
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Very smooth this year. Last year was a train wreck for the X. 
    guscat
  • Reply 4 of 71
    kdamghani said:
    Very smooth this year. Last year was a train wreck for the X. 
    Apple is doomed!  They can’t even generate enough sales to crash their website. 

The last 3 times have been pretty smooth for me.  I do remember having trouble with the site when ordering the iPhone 6, though. 
    doozydozenJFC_PA
  • Reply 5 of 71
    I was a little slow on my order looking for something...within minutes the plain stainless steel AW4 44mm slipped from one week to two, to 3-4...dah. More constrained than the Sport editions. Had no idea it would be that popular, figured I could take my time in the store. So much for getting up early.
    edited September 2018 doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Wonder if sim-free model have the right new bands (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/12/apple-iphone-xs-xs-max-and-xr-support-t-mobiles-600mhz-lte-spectrum) for t-mobile or do i have to buy the locked one.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Max gold 256!

I thought I’d be staring at that “Almost there.” screen forever. 

I had a strange hiccup.. I was preappproved to continue my Apple upgrade plan.. when the store opened it magically had my exact model ready to go.. thought I’d ordered it.. then went back to check after browsing the store a min and no order was placed.... so I frantically went through the entire process again.. but still got exactly what I wanted, and on 9/21. Can’t wait!
    kaitain4doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 71
    I did the preregistration for the Apple Update program, and man! Did that go smoothly! I think I was done in 15 seconds! I also ordered a Series 4 AW and that also was a breeze. This year was much improved over some of the buggy issues we’ve seen in years past.
    dperez13doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Ordered the Series 4 Watch and iPhone XS MAX at 3:15am and got a 2-3 week delivery time.
    Having a bunch of wonderful bands for my soon to be sold Series 3 Apple Watch, I selected the cheapest stainless steel version with the white sport band.
    edited September 2018 kaitain4doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 71
    I was a little slow on my order looking for something...within minutes the stainless steel slipped from one week to two, to three...dah. More constrained than the Sport editions. Had no idea it would be that popular. So much for getting up early.
    I’m shocked supply was that constrained. I did get in my order for a SS 40mm about 2 minutes after the store came up, with normal delivery time.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Ugh! Pre-ordering a new XS Max 512GB was a nightmare for me. Using the app on my phone, it didn't go live until about 12:06 pacific time, and then it made me put all my payment info in again, which was crazy. The phone I ordered was originally backordered two weeks, but after closing the app and starting over, my payment info was of course already there on file, and the second time trying to buy was successful. I was able to order the phone using Apple Pay, and my ship date is Oct 5th-10th.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 71
    bluefire1 said:
    Ordered the Series 4 Watch and iPhone XS MAX at 3:15am and got a 2-3 week delivery time. 
    Same here, 9/28-10/5 expected delivery ....dangit....
  • Reply 13 of 71
    jason98 said:
    Wonder if sim-free model have the right new bands (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/12/apple-iphone-xs-xs-max-and-xr-support-t-mobiles-600mhz-lte-spectrum) for t-mobile or do i have to buy the locked one.
    Any of them should support Band 71 (T-Mo 600mhz), as they all have the same modem this year.
    kaitain4
  • Reply 14 of 71
    pslawingpslawing Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple site did not come up for me until 3:18 AM.  
    Ordered iPhone xMax 256- Delivery Sept 21
    Watch 44 mm - Delivery Oct 5-12
    Watch 40 mm - Delivery Sept 21.
    As soon as I finished my order went back to website to see and shipping for 40 mm pushed forward to Oct 5-12  Wonder if they are already running out?

• Reply 15 of 71
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    One of my daughters has one on order now. Very nice  :)
    kaitain4
  • Reply 16 of 71
    kaitain4 said:
    I did the preregistration for the Apple Update program, and man! Did that go smoothly! I think I was done in 15 seconds! I also ordered a Series 4 AW and that also was a breeze. This year was much improved over some of the buggy issues we’ve seen in years past.
    I did exactly the same as you and had the same result. I’m still impressed on how smooth everything went.
    edited September 2018 kaitain4
  • Reply 17 of 71
    It’s now an hour after the presale started and every SIM-free XS and XS Max shows as still available for 21 Sept except for Space Gray XS Max 512GB, which says 5 Oct - 12 Oct.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Easy and smooth as here in Australia , took all of 3mins and all done I’ve never gone Gold but this time I am. :) 
    kaitain4
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Silver Watch - 8am Pickup
    Silver iPhone Max 256 - 8:30 am Pickup
    Silver iPhone Max 256 - 9/21 home delivery
    kaitain4
  • Reply 20 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm impressed by the popularity of these devices.