Chrome 70 will support MacBook Pro's Touch ID for website authentication

Posted:
in macOS
MacBook Pro users will soon be able to take advantage of Touch ID to authenticate themselves with websites in Chrome, with version 70 of Google's web browser adding support for fingerprint readers in macOS, among other features.

In a blog post about features arriving as part of Chrome 70, the Chromium Blog highlights a number of changes arriving in the browser. Chrome 70 was introduced in beta on Thursday, and is anticipated to be released in mid-October.

As part of two updates for the Web Authentication API, relating to the use of the "PublicKeyCredential," Chrome 70 will enable the ability to use Touch ID as biometric authentication for websites. An image depicting an example prompt for users to verify their identity mentions the use of a "Touch sensor," as well as options to cancel authentication or to "Use screen lock."

The other update to the Web Authentication API adds PublicKeyCredential as a third credential type, alongside PasswordCredential and FederatedCredential, enabling the biometric authentication and other methods supported by PublicKeyCredential. This will also be enabled by default on macOS.

A trial of "Shape Detection Origin" will enable a device's shape detection capabilities to be used on websites, through the use of three APIs for face detection, barcode detection, and text detection. The function will allow the browser to use a device's existing functions to analyze or capture these three types of data from within the browser, with the post noting the use of local resources avoids the use of a "performance-killing library."

Chrome 70 will also automatically exit a full screen mode when a page shows a dialog box, with the forced switch back to a windowed mode said to pull users from the more immersive mode when a decision needs to be made.

TLS 1.3, an updated version of the TLS protocol to encrypt communications between computers, will be included, sporting a "simpler, less error-prone design" with claimed improvements to efficiency and security. The new version will reduce the number of "round trips" required to establish an encrypted connection, removes insecure legacy options, encrypts more of the handshake element, and makes the resumption mode more resilient to key-based compromises.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    ...avoids the use of a "performance-killing library."
    Does that mean that Chrome will no longer chew through battery life faster than a teenager goes through data?
    auxioracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    MplsP said:
    Does that mean that Chrome will no longer chew through battery life faster than a teenager goes through data?
    Seems like it's only in reference to shape detection and not in general.

Since Chrome (Chromium) works across a number of platforms, it generally reinvents the wheel for just about everything it does (much like a game engine).  So it typically doesn't take advantage of Mac-specific hardware acceleration and performance tuning the way Safari does, and this leads to poor energy usage on Mac.  One of the big reasons why I only use Chrome (and Firefox) when I absolutely need to.  That and data mining of course.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    auxio said:
    MplsP said:

Since Chrome (Chromium) works across a number of platforms, it generally reinvents the wheel for just about everything it does (much like a game engine).  So it typically doesn't take advantage of Mac-specific hardware acceleration and performance tuning the way Safari does, and this leads to poor energy usage on Mac.  One of the big reasons why I only use Chrome (and Firefox) when I absolutely need to.  That and data mining of course.
    Same here, although I’m starting find less and less reasons for Chrome. Directv Now was one of the last ones, but they recently re-added Safari as the only other supported browser.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    What is up with those chrome versions? A decade ago I feel like we were under version 10, which means we are getting a new version number on average every other month. Firefox is the same to some degree. Why don't they use minor point revisions?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    auxio said:
    MplsP said:

I have a couple sites/services that I'm required to use that don't support Safari. Firefox or Opera would be my preferred routes, but one of them only supports Chrome and Internet Explorer (??!!)

I, too have been avoiding google as much as I can, but some times you don't have a choice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    D_CMills said:
    What is up with those chrome versions? A decade ago I feel like we were under version 10, which means we are getting a new version number on average every other month. Firefox is the same to some degree. Why don't they use minor point revisions?
    Generally that's what they are essentially, "point revisions". They just don't number like you expect them to. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    could you give examples of websites where Safari does not work well? I wanted to experiment with different browsers on Mac and Ipad
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Pjs said:
    could you give examples of websites where Safari does not work well? I wanted to experiment with different browsers on Mac and Ipad
    I think Groupon and AirBnB might be examples, but not certain. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gatorguy said:
    Pjs said:
    I think Groupon and AirBnB might be examples, but not certain. 
    OK thank you. I will try
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Isn't this a bit late to the game? Shouldn't the next Macs come with FaceID?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    spock123spock123 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Not working for me (MacOS + Chrome70). PublicKeyCredential.isUserVerifyingPlatformAuthenticatorAvailable() returns false on the platform, indicating that it's not supported. Works fine on my Chrome on Android
  • Reply 12 of 12
    spock123spock123 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    mac_128 said:
    Isn't this a bit late to the game? Shouldn't the next Macs come with FaceID?
    It's the same thing. All biometry (face ID, fingerprint) is supported by this API. Any device that supports public/private key encryption works.