Samsung teases mystery Galaxy device launch promising '4X fun' in October

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung is preparing to launch new Galaxy devices, inviting members of the media to an event on October 11 that offers few clues about the inbound hardware, except for a hint that it will be "4x fun."

The invitation, posted to Samsung's global PR site, advises of the existence of "A Galaxy Event," but without any suggestion as to what to expect. The invitation doesn't mention a location or a time the event will occur on October 11, but that it would be streamed through Samsung's websites.

There are some clues for what the event will be about, albeit limiting in terms of what they could relate to. The invitation is filed under the PR site's "Mobile" product category and will also be streamed through Samsung's mobile-specific press site, which could mean something smartphone-related.

The text accompanying the invitation image suggests the device will bring "more ways to express yourself than ever before," and asks interested parties to "capture the fun," with both elements potentially pointing to something imaging-related, such as a smartphone's camera or a standalone camera.

The "4X fun" could relate to a number of different possible features in assorted devices, also making it hard to pin down. If considered in relation to an imaging device, this could signify a 4-times optical zoom in a camera, a high magnification that smartphones typically do not achieve without resorting to digital zooms.

It seems unlikely that Samsung will use the event to launch a new smartphone in the Galaxy range, as it typically does not launch new devices in the product line at this time of year. The South Korean firm's most recent launch of this type was the Galaxy Note 9 in August, while the Galaxy S9 landed in February, periods that Samsung typically launches the respective device upgrades.

Another possibility is for Samsung to reveal its long-rumored foldable smartphone. CEO DJ Koh said on September 4 that details of the device would be introduced before the end of the year, but at the time noted it was possibly going to be shown off during November's Samsung Developers Conference.

Samsung does use the Galaxy branding for other devices, including the Galaxy Home smart speaker, tablets, and at one time for the Gear smartwatch line before its rebranding.

One other possible device it could be is another attempt at a camera. The company produced three cameras between 2012 and 2014, including the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera the Galaxy NX in 2013, with all leveraging Android and smartphone technology to provide smartphone-like features and a familiar interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm certain that whatever they're going to release, it will pack 4X the explosive power. :)
    anantksundaramanton zuykovlamboaudi4DAalsethdoozydozenboltsfan17razorpithypoluxacoolfactorclaire1
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:
    I'm certain that whatever they're going to release, it will pack 4X the explosive power. :)
    Dammit!

I was just racing over here to post the same thing!

sflocalanton zuykovdoozydozenhypoluxaclaire1viclauyycpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Arithmetic is not a wordsmith's strongest suit, but I believe 4 times 0=0. They should tout it as Zero Fun.
    anton zuykovlamboaudi4doozydozenSnickersMagooStrangeDaysclaire1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    They quadrupled the copying of Apple. Or they will release four phones: Galaxy 10, Galaxy 10 R, Galaxy 10S, Galaxy 10S Max +1. 
    doozydozentycho_macuserradarthekatcoolfactorclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    4 cameras? 4 new devices? Wonder what it’s referring to. Guess it doesn’t matter, since I wouldn’t buy anything from Samsung 
    doozydozenSnickersMagooradarthekattmayrazorpitclaire1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    supadav03 said:
    4 cameras? 4 new devices? Wonder what it’s referring to. Guess it doesn’t matter, since I wouldn’t buy anything from Samsung 
    That’s quite obvious.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Mirrorless Camera?

I think they would fail miserably if they did. Until recently, the Sony A7 was pretty well all there was but we have seen Canon and Nikon (2 bodies) release really superb devices in recent weeks.
    I'll be testing the Nikon Z6 next week.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Competition is a good thing.
    It makes companies try harder , including Apple. 

Let's hope they don't price whatever it is into the stratosphere too like Apple just did.
    Soon the moto of these companies will be

"Truly amazing phones for the rich, and we have some average ones for the poor folk. Something for everyone."

Or something like that Tim Cook said lol. 
    vahancouveraylk
  • Reply 9 of 34
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    supadav03 said:
    According to the Samsung Developer Conference website, the speculation is that it is a new Galaxy phone with four rear cameras. Funny thing is, the article was posted 2 months ago and has zero comments so far. "A lot of people are saying..."  :p
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    They’re going to quadruple refunds?
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    volcan said:
    supadav03 said:
    According to the Samsung Developer Conference website, the speculation is that it is a new Galaxy phone with four rear cameras. Funny thing is, the article was posted 2 months ago and has zero comments so far. "A lot of people are saying..."  :p

I don't think Samsung is going to put 4 rear cameras in an upcoming phone this year. Their latest flagship Samsung Galaxy Note 9 has only 2 rear cameras. There is no way they are going to introduce a new phone which is having more cameras than their flagship phone. It could be that there will be total of 4 cameras (2 front, 2 rear) in the phone to be announced.

Having said all of that, I find it weird that AI is publishing this not-so-important-story. Samsung launches at least a phone daily on an average. This is just one among those hundreds of phones that Samsung launches in a year. Not worth discussing about in AI in my view.

edited September 2018 claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    The new phone folds... twice!  2x2 = 4
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Move over BOGO.  It’s Buy One Get Three in an attempt to shift inventory.  
    king editor the grateSpamSandwichrazorpitclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    I am sure it is buy 1 get 3 free.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    I don't know what everyone is talking about, this clearly says 4 "ex" fun.
    SpamSandwichking editor the gratecoolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    lewchenko said:
    Competition is a good thing.
    It makes companies try harder , including Apple. 

Let's hope they don't price whatever it is into the stratosphere too like Apple just did.
    Soon the moto of these companies will be

"Truly amazing phones for the rich, and we have some average ones for the poor folk. Something for everyone."

Or something like that Tim Cook said lol. 
    That isn’t what was said at all.

I got the X at $1000 over two years. It’s a great value. The number of devices it replaces and the quality of the device and software and jobs it performs for me is worth it the price. Just like my other computers. 
    king editor the grateSpamSandwichclaire1d_2Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Man, I need some help here. Should I cancel my Xs Max preorder?    :D
    king editor the grateclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    razorpit said:
    Man, I need some help here. Should I cancel my Xs Max preorder?    :D
    Yup... /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    The only pieces of Sammy hardware I own is a 40" HD smart tv and BD player. Which are both fine for my uses. I have zero interest in their phones. It'll be interesting to see what they introduce.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Where are the product leaks? Obviously Samsung has better security than Apple.

/s
    1983watto_cobra