iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS not quite as constrained as the iPhone X was at launch

Posted:
in iPhone
if you slept in this morning and didn't get a pre-order of the iPhone XS Max in within minutes of opening, you won't have to wait as long to get your order this year, if Gene Munster's numbers are correct.

Preorders for Apple's new iPhones began at 3 a.m. on Friday, and Gene Munster of Loup Ventures has observed that lead times for the XS and XS Max are considerably shorter than the ones for the iPhone X last year.

"Compared to the iPhone X launch last year, the iPhone Xs lead times were, on average, 68 percent shorter, and the Xs Max lead times were 43 percent shorter," Munster wrote on Loup Ventures' website. "Put a different way, for every minute after 3:00 AM you waited to order an iPhone Xs, it cost you 3.2 hours in delayed delivery. For every minute you waited to order the Xs Max, it cost you 5.8 hours. Last year, for every minute you waited to order the X, it cost you 10.1 hours."

Munster added that the longer lead times for the more expensive iPhone XS Max indicate a positive for higher ASPs. He noted, however, that with this year's models the higher end is arriving on the market first while the iPhone X came last in 2017. In addition, the total volume of available iPhones remains unknown.

Loup Ventures came up with the data by checking the lead times eight times, between the start of orders at 3:00 AM and 10:00 AM ET.

iPhone XS Max

According to Loup Venture's chart, customers ordering the iPhone XS between 3:01 a.m. and 3:20 a.m. on Thursday could expect to receive the device at launch on Sept. 21. That was true for most configurations up until 3:40 a.m., except for a 2-3 week delay for those ordering a 256GB model in silver or space grey from Verizon, or in 256 or 512GB size in space grey from AT&T.

An AppleInsider staffer ordered a 256 GB iPhone XS, in silver, on Verizon, waiting until just after 8 a.m. on Friday. The order has a lead time of 1-2 weeks. Across the entire staff's orders, and data gleaned from social media by AppleInsider Munster's availability figures appear to be accurate

Customers ordering the iPhone XS Max between 3:00 and 3:20 could expect a delivery at launch unless they were ordering the 512 GB space grey edition on Verizon, in which case the delay was 2-3 weeks. By 3:40, however, just about every edition of the XS Max listed a 2-3 week or 3-4 week delay. The XS Max also suddenly got shorter lead times at 10 a.m.

iPhone XS chart

The iPhone X last year, by contrast, had delays at every time after 3:01, sometimes extending as long as 5-6 weeks, according to Loup's chart.

The third new iPhone, the iPhone XR, does not open for preorder until Oct. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29

To me, it seemed like stock of the gold models held up well.  I expected those to be the hottest.  I wonder if they weren't as popular, or maybe Apple made more of them.  Nobody don't know nothin about nothin.

napoleon_phoneapartPickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    When Phil announced all the countrys in the 2 separate launch cycles and the 2 cycles being just a week apart I had a feeling that supplies were going to be better this time around.

Lucky for us there's Gene Munster to clear everything up.
    PickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No surprise there. If you don't learn from your experience than you are not smart and Apple is smart company. This time around Apple lined up it's supply chain and manufacturing fine tuned to have enough quantity at launch.
    claire1shark5150PickUrPoisonpscooter63Deelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Clearly the new iPhones are a failure since they aren't selling out. /s
    jgojcajclaire1lkruppmagman1979JaiOh81zroger73PickUrPoisonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Clearly, there isn't any possible way that Apple will break its ASP, revenue, unit sales, and profit, records next quarter, and that's all because Apple killed off the SE.
    edited September 2018 netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    This launch was a complete FLOP. I can still pre-order a very "popular" gold Xs Max on both Verizon and Apple and it's currently 12:52 PM PST. When I did my iPhone 7 Plus when it first came out, I had to stay up to order and the next few hours it was sold out. Same with my iPhone 6 Plus as well.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    No, it's a sign that more and more people are saving money for the coming economic meltdown.
    zroger73
  • Reply 8 of 29
    jgojcaj said:
    This launch was a complete FLOP. I can still pre-order a very "popular" gold Xs Max on both Verizon and Apple and it's currently 12:52 PM PST. When I did my iPhone 7 Plus when it first came out, I had to stay up to order and the next few hours it was sold out. Same with my iPhone 6 Plus as well.
    Are you serious? A flop?
    magman1979claire1mwhiteericthehalfbeenapoleon_phoneapartpscooter63netmageronnkuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    What's funny is when Apple sells out the idiots claim "Apple is restraining product on purpose to create false hype!!!"

Yet I see them switching to this logic you mentioned when there's enough for everyone. 
    magman1979bb-15StrangeDaysnapoleon_phoneapartPickUrPoisonpscooter63netmageronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

jgojcaj said:
    Yeah I bet Apple only sold 13 million overnight this time. Apple Stores will be closing next week after this news!!
    magman1979JaiOh81netmageronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

claire1 said:
    What's funny is when Apple sells out the idiots claim "Apple is restraining product on purpose to create false hype!!!"

Yet I see them switching to this logic you mentioned when there's enough for everyone. 
    Apple ignores this crap from haters. Maybe we should too going forward. 
    magman1979claire1JaiOh81ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    10:15 AM, Excess, er, Xs with 64 Gbyte, Verizon, 2 - 3 week wait. I can handle it.

Especially because Apple almost always delivers at least a day or two early on such orders to make people happy.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jgojcaj said:

Ah so that’s why my gold 256GB AT&T model is out of stock everywhere.
    magman1979bb-15claire1ronn
  • Reply 14 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    The iPhone X was a HUGE leap.  And it was supply constrained (wasn’t it?) due to difficulties of the new tech.  Apple knows how to do faceID now.  

I think the prices of these X v2.0, 2.1, and 1.9 (the Xr) will have to wait for time to prove they are awesome phones unequaled by others.   But order delays are not indicators of shipping volumes!   

So so let’s come back at the end of Q4 to see for certain how many shipped.  
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    jgojcaj said:
    You are so full of it. iPhone's don't sell out. Apple site or carrier sites don't stop selling them. If you don't order when preorders go live, the lead time is just longer and you won't get it the day it's released. 
    magman1979ronnkuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    The iPhone X launched two months later.  Those who used their Apple Upgrade then, like I did, or started it then, still have those months to pay for, or throw away two months of payments - £112 in UK.  Surely there must be many in that position who are also waiting until November. 
    netmageronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    After getting a new iPhone every year for the last 10, but I seen no reason to upgrade this time around...there are more changes to the watch than the phone so I will wait until next year....my X 256 GB will hold up just fine until the 19 model debuts...
  • Reply 18 of 29
    shark5150 said:
    jgojcaj said:
    Goofball
    Hurry and trade your xiaome.....
    napoleon_phoneapartlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    jgojcaj said:
    Oh please, put down the crackpipe. We have NO idea how many phones they produced this year for launch. They may not have sold out quickly because there's a metric buttload of stock built and ready to go. Without any numbers of what's been produced, what was produced last year for comparison, and what's been ordered - we have NO idea whether this launch was a bonanza or a failure. Based on track record - you are leaning in the wrong direction.
    StrangeDaysDeelronronnkuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

To me, it seemed like stock of the gold models held up well.  I expected those to be the hottest.  I wonder if they weren't as popular, or maybe Apple made more of them.  Nobody don't know nothin about nothin.

Know this: in media, the "gold" models look flesh colored.