Apple's iPhone XR has the best claimed battery life of any iPhone, ever

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    I’m not sure about Apple’s battery life claims. My iPhone 7 lasted at least 40% longer than my X does. And I run my X’s display at maybe 20% brightness most of the time.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    georgie01 said:
    I’m not sure about Apple’s battery life claims. My iPhone 7 lasted at least 40% longer than my X does. And I run my X’s display at maybe 20% brightness most of the time.
    There was something wrong with your  x than. Mine last longer than my old 7, fiancés 7 and 8. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    jcs2305 said:

jcs2305 said:
    saarek said: **Update, there is a difference in the Ram, 3GB vs 4GB, but benchmarks seem to indicate a very small increase in performance overall, generally unnoticeable. 
    The extra RAM is going to make a difference when you get into higher end uses like 4K video editing etc. Remember, the XS screen tech can actually display HDR, whereas the XR cannot. 
    iPhone XR can't display 1080p resolution images or videos in addition to no HDR. I was surprised with this step back with the screen. Iphone 6 Plus - 8 Plus have 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi. While the XR has 1792 by 828 pixel resolution at 326 ppi. I only mention this because on Apple.com they compare the XR to the 8 Plus as a direct replacement that is better in every way?

It's just a stretched iphone 6,7 or 8 screen at that resolution. 

Since they call it "Retina" it is 2x. Super Retina is 3x. At 2x the XR will have 414 point width (828 / 2 = 414) which is the width of the Plus form factor. So, the XR offers the same increased vertical viewable area in landscape orientation, same as 8 Plus and XS Max. The XS with 375 point width (1125 / 3 = 375) is not the most suited to landscape use just like the X. As such, Apple's comparison is correct and the XR is the direct replacement of 8 Plus in terms of viewable area.
    I am not sure why you took the time  to explain the viewable area between these 3 models. My point is that as a replacement I wouldn’t expect to take a step back in screen resolution or ppi. I have been using the plus model since iPhone 6 and the higher resolution and ppi are noticeabley better than it’s smaller counterpart. This isn’t scientific this is just how my eyes see one screen to the other.  
    To expose that the XR is just not a streched iPhone 6, 7 or 8. By stretched I understand it has the same logical point width as the 6, 7 or 8 but simply taller, which seems not the case. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 24 of 33
    aimbdd said:
    georgie01 said:
    There was something wrong with your  x than. Mine last longer than my old 7, fiancés 7 and 8. 
    Yeah the battery on my X is the best I've ever had. My last one was the 6 though, but it's markedly better
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jcs2305 said:
    saarek said: **Update, there is a difference in the Ram, 3GB vs 4GB, but benchmarks seem to indicate a very small increase in performance overall, generally unnoticeable. 
    The extra RAM is going to make a difference when you get into higher end uses like 4K video editing etc. Remember, the XS screen tech can actually display HDR, whereas the XR cannot. 
    iPhone XR can't display 1080p resolution images or videos in addition to no HDR. I was surprised with this step back with the screen. Iphone 6 Plus - 8 Plus have 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi. While the XR has 1792 by 828 pixel resolution at 326 ppi. I only mention this because on Apple.com they compare the XR to the 8 Plus as a direct replacement that is better in every way?

That's part of why I think the best values that Apple sales right now are the iPhone 7+ and iPhone 8+   big screen and dual cameras on both.    Now that Apple has upped their price to $1,000 or more on their premium models they are trying to lower their component costs on the next tier down with the iPhone Xr.    I think the colors will appeal to a lot of people.   I bet the profit margins on the iPhone Xr are great.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    saarek said:
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:
    The more I read about the iPhone Xr the more I realise that it represents the best value, by a long margin, of the three new handsets.

No way does an OLED screen and a slightly better camera system justify £250 more.
    You can have your opinion and I can have mine.
    Absolutely, you’re more than entitled to your opinion of course! I have to say I am genuinely intrigued by your opinion though.

What is it, about the Xs, that justifies in your mind the extra £250 over the Xr?
    2x optical zoom isn’t “slightly better” to anyone who shoots a lot of photos/video. Also, Xs has 1GB more RAM, 3D Touch, IP68.

anything else I’m missing?

That's why the dual cameras and higher definition make the iPhone 7plus and iphone 8Plus better phones and better values than iPhone Xr,
    But I expect the Xr to sell off the walls better than the iPhoneXs but not as much as the iPhoneXMax plus.  I've got to admit that several of the Colors look great (especially the product Red).  If they did the Xs in that red I would be all over it but for now I've happy with my 7+ and 8+.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    k2kw said:
    fastasleep said:
    saarek said:
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:
    The more I read about the iPhone Xr the more I realise that it represents the best value, by a long margin, of the three new handsets.

No way does an OLED screen and a slightly better camera system justify £250 more.
    Absolutely, you’re more than entitled to your opinion of course! I have to say I am genuinely intrigued by your opinion though.

What is it, about the Xs, that justifies in your mind the extra £250 over the Xr?
    2x optical zoom isn’t “slightly better” to anyone who shoots a lot of photos/video. Also, Xs has 1GB more RAM, 3D Touch, IP68.

anything else I’m missing?

That's why the dual cameras and higher definition make the iPhone 7plus and iphone 8Plus better phones and better values than iPhone Xr,
    But I expect the Xr to sell off the walls better than the iPhoneXs but not as much as the iPhoneXMax plus.  I've got to admit that several of the Colors look great (especially the product Red).  If they did the Xs in that red I would be all over it but for now I've happy with my 7+ and 8+.
    Value is in the eyes of the beholder. Or buyer, in this case.

The Xs definitely has some more features and a better camera, but as people have commented above, many people are not necessarily interested in professional quality photos, and the camera in the Xr is still pretty danged good. 

It will be interesting to see the actual difference in quality with the screens, the cameras and the performance impact of the lower RAM between the Xr and the Xs (and the 7+ or 8+. It may very well be that the 7+/8+ are the best value for photos, but the Xr comes out on top for other things. Apple is broadening their iPhone line, so it's no longer 'good-better-best,' which is a good thing for consumers. I suspect the Xr will be the sweet spot for many people, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jcs2305 said:

jcs2305 said:

Since they call it "Retina" it is 2x. Super Retina is 3x. At 2x the XR will have 414 point width (828 / 2 = 414) which is the width of the Plus form factor. So, the XR offers the same increased vertical viewable area in landscape orientation, same as 8 Plus and XS Max. The XS with 375 point width (1125 / 3 = 375) is not the most suited to landscape use just like the X. As such, Apple's comparison is correct and the XR is the direct replacement of 8 Plus in terms of viewable area.
    I am not sure why you took the time  to explain the viewable area between these 3 models. My point is that as a replacement I wouldn’t expect to take a step back in screen resolution or ppi. I have been using the plus model since iPhone 6 and the higher resolution and ppi are noticeabley better than it’s smaller counterpart. This isn’t scientific this is just how my eyes see one screen to the other.  
    To expose that the XR is just not a streched iPhone 6, 7 or 8. By stretched I understand it has the same logical point width as the 6, 7 or 8 but simply taller, which seems not the case. 
    It’s a 336 ppi screen that can barely play a 720p video. Which is the same as the smaller phone. I think me saying stretched made you think I was getting at something else. No problem. I ordered the XS Max this morning  picking it up on 9/21 ! Can’t wait.  B)
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    jcs2305 said:
    jcs2305 said:

jcs2305 said:

It’s a 336 ppi screen that can barely play a 720p video. Which is the same as the smaller phone. I think me saying stretched made you think I was getting at something else. No problem. I ordered the XS Max this morning  picking it up on 9/21 ! Can’t wait.  B)
    Does 720p vs 1080p matter on a phone? I've never done a side by side comparison, and it also depends on how much of a videophile you are, but the screen size seems like it would make the higher resolution somewhat pointless.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    saarek said:

I’ve been thinking the SAME THING all day today! Ive been reading up (a lot) on all the new models trying to decide if I want one of them or just hang onto my older model longer, and every way I look at it, the Xr is looking more and more like the one to get. But better get it ASAP cause once Apple realizes it’s TOO good and affecting sales of the XS and XS Max, they’ll yank it next fall and replace it with a crappier one. And before I get shot, by “crappier” I mean less of a value compared to their top tier models. Much less features using the latest and greatest technology, etc. 

Just that rear camera, though. Why does it have to be so ugly? They could’ve integrated it into the body better like they did with the 7. 

I think Apple knows exactly what they are doing, which is why it was the last phone introduced at the Apple Event. Apple is planning for this phone to be their best seller and, as someone else mentioned, I'm sure they have plenty of profit built in.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:

So does this mean you are getting the Xs or XsMax yourself?

To me the X series is getting very good in terms of feature but I'll stick with my 7plus and 8plus.   But the one thing that would put me over the top with the iPhoneX would be the use of SoldState batteries to double battery life/cut down on weight/ or some combination of the two.    I don't think I have seen that in any android phones yet so who knows how long it could be with iPhones.

• Reply 32 of 33
    A lot of the mentioned features that make the Xs better than the Xr are mostly irrelevant to the average consumer. To tech fans and photography enthusiasts, then absolutely the Xs is a superior phone. But, to the phone layperson, a premium iPhone lacking in a few features here and there but still offering fantastic value is going to be the go to phone to purchase. In Canada, I'm assuming the Xr will take over the iPhone 8 Plus pricing, so at around $360 on a 2 year contract vs. $660 for the Xs or $789 for the Xs Max, it'll be the better seller by a large margin.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Xr is the best offer. Main camera is the same as in xs. Dual camera? Yeah right. Is it something you are gonna miss a lot, something you have been using daily? Not really. 
    Ip68 vs ip67? Don't make me laugh. How many times you actually use your phone in a pool? Ip67 is good enough for 99% of the people. Rain, some drops in the water, good enough.
    3gb vs 4gb. Not much of a deal on the iphone. For awereage user it means nothing. I wish I had 4 but not a deal breaker. 
    Screen and resolution. This is funny when people claim it is super important that you have 4k and hdr.... on 5.8 screen :dizzy: I come from s8, i know what it means to have best screen and it is not worth to pay so much more for that. Of there is a difference but comon. 
    3d touch don't know, I am android user so I will not miss that. 
    Battery. Yeah this is what rally matters. So why would I pick xs? 
    I could buy xs or xs max but I am gonna go with xr because it makes the most sense. Ofc some people want the best and the geatest no matter what.