Apple 'wants to serve everyone' with wide iPhone price range, Tim Cook says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    They want to serve everyone, except people who like phones in a small form factor.  RIP iPhone SE
    They sold 3M iPhone SEs compared to 60M of every other model.  Get over it.  Not many people wanted the SE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 53
    claire1 said:

An SE sized X would sell like crazy among teens and users like us.

I wouldn't mind a 4" version with A11 chip for $449.

Is $449 realistic? Yes.
    Consider what can be downgraded:

One lens
    A11
    LCD
    Smaller screen
    FaceID 1.0

I mean what are they gonna do with last years X parts?
    If you named it the SEX, teens would definitely buy it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    The last time a similar comment was made 'to serve everyone' is when Steve Jobs said he wanted more people to enjoy the iPhone.  When that happened, carriers subsidized the price at $199 and $299, and not requiring full payment of $499 and $599.  Raising the price of the iPhone and still trying to claim you want to serve everyone does not work, especially when 'serve everyone' means buy a phone that is two years old.  The payment plans for the phones are now equal to or higher than the actual cellular plans.  But as people continue to buy them by the millions, Apple will continue to raise prices.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    YoRHa said:
    sigh.
    So show it in relation to the iPhone revenue. You knew exactly what I was saying. Don’t play games.
    You literally said "computers don't make money anymore." Apple isn't walking away from $7B/quarter, so how about you don't play games if you don't want a response?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    mike54 said:
    His target audience are easily pleased. I don't agree with Tim Cook. The cheaper phones offered by Apple have 2 year old tech. If they would offer 6 year old tech it would be even cheaper still. This is an product of increasing specs yearly, it doesn't stand still. I would only agree with Tim if the cheaper phones all had the same tech specs.
    Why would somebody, anybody offer a phone with the same specs as their premium version for less?

They tried cheapening down their current generation with plastic & such with the 5c(heap).  It didn't go well.  So, they took advantage of the fact that they had paid for the development and tooling required for their older phones and used that to offer them at a lower rate.   That was a win for everybody.
    It's amazing that for Apple, selling an estimated ~25 million of something is considered a failure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 53

Every reviewer always ends up saying that all iPhones are too expensive for the masses and maybe even for some of the elites. I never see any iPhone reviewer writing about how iPhones are worth the price. 
    Where do you read reviews? I really don't recall seeing anything like this consistently in the past. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    The last time a similar comment was made 'to serve everyone' is when Steve Jobs said he wanted more people to enjoy the iPhone.  When that happened, carriers subsidized the price at $199 and $299, and not requiring full payment of $499 and $599.  Raising the price of the iPhone and still trying to claim you want to serve everyone does not work, especially when 'serve everyone' means buy a phone that is two years old.  The payment plans for the phones are now equal to or higher than the actual cellular plans.  But as people continue to buy them by the millions, Apple will continue to raise prices.
    They didn't lower or raise the price! You paid for it over 24 months in your carrier bill, and still paid at a minimum $600+ in the end depending on which model we're talking about. $600 in 2007 is $729 today, and the XR is $749. You can still buy them on a 24 month plan, they're just more transparent now. I bought my X from T-Mobile with a ~$400 down payment and $30/mo over 24 months interest free for the rest. My cell plan is $60 alone. Stop making stuff up.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 53
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Umm... Tim... how about use-case instead of just price?

By killing off the SE, you aren't serving everyone very well at all. :rage: 

• Reply 49 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Well, "wants" to and doing may be two different things. Still, $450 for an older yet still nice model ain't bad. Beggars can't be choosers, etc.
    For most people that iPhone 7 will meet their needs quite well.  It's hardly a beggars choice.
    Yes I have an iPhone 7Plus and think its a great phone.   A little bit better value than the iPhone 8Plus I have also.   But both are very good phones.   I would not trade their screens with 401 dpi 1080x1920 resolution for the screen on the iPhoneXR.   Pay more get less there.   Both those models also have the Telephoto camera which the iPhone Xr lacks.    I'll upgrade to the iPhoneX% when they offer Solid State batteries to either greatly increase time between re-charging, decrease the weight of the phones, a combination of both.

• Reply 50 of 53
    Apple should differentiate the price based on market!

Here in brazil the Xr is going to arrive for about 4200 reais, $1.342,20 dollars.

That is a LOT for an iPhone Xr, and even more when you consider that the minimum wage here is 954 reais, about $228,57.

We work four months to pay taxes, and more than 5 for a new iPhone.........
    You need to fix your economy. Apple making sure the latest iPhone is priced for you is not the issue. 
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Apple wants to serve everyone with a wide price range of iPhones? Every reviewer always ends up saying that all iPhones are too expensive for the masses and maybe even for some of the elites. I never see any iPhone reviewer writing about how iPhones are worth the price. If that's the case, is anything worth the price? Going to sports games, movies, dinner at a restaurant, the price of gasoline, a day at the amusement park, a pack of cigarettes? However, when it comes to Apple, it's always how their products are too expensive for the average Joe and yet Apple sells millions of iPhones every single year. If something is too expensive, then simply buy something cheaper. Problem solved. I doubt Apple will be able to sell many iPhones in India, but I'm sure we all know that much. Apple doesn't sell $100 smartphones and I don't think they should. I have never whined about not being able to afford a Lamborghini or Ferrari. That's my tough luck and I don't feel those companies are to blame for selling expensive products (beyond my personal means). I can always buy something cheaper and be satisfied. I'll never understand why people have a beef with Apple for selling so-called expensive products. No one has ever been forced to buy an Apple product.
    Because reviews and bloggers are full of shit (and cash from their ad-supported lives). They are utterly incompatible and inconsistent with the real world. 

“Average” people drop the the cost of an iPhone on a long weekend at the beach. The value per dollar in an iPhone is incomparable to most things. Maybe a house, then an iPhone, then a car, in terms of value proposition. Nothing else even comes close. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 53
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    designr said:
    The evolution of the iPhone line in the past couple of years is starting to remind me of the Macintosh line in the Scully era (look at the models in the late 80's to early/mid 90's). There was an explosion of various models (and price increases) all designed to maximize profit (which I get, and that's fine) but in a way that created an increasingly confusing set of models that started making it harder for customer to decide.
    Yeah, I agree there. This happens when you start letting 'business experts' make the decisions instead of visionary product experts. Of course, the business expertise is critical as well, but is more about which one is the primary driver. I think the current Apple is more of a blend than back in Scully's day, but it has become pretty clear which is in charge in terms of decisions. The other difference today is that fashion (as opposed to style) is playing a big part.

Metriacanthosaurus said:
    “Average” people drop the the cost of an iPhone on a long weekend at the beach. The value per dollar in an iPhone is incomparable to most things. Maybe a house, then an iPhone, then a car, in terms of value proposition. Nothing else even comes close. 
    Yeah, I agree here, in general. iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc. are a pretty good value when you consider them properly in context to most other consumer products. The problem is that there is also historical context, so it's a bit too apparent that Apple is simply increasing prices to see how much they can get. Most companies do this, but it often isn't quite this obvious.

Also, back in the 2000s, Apple products became affordable enough that more of the 'average' people felt they could afford them, and now that is slipping away (especially in terms of 'computers', i.e. Macs).
    mattinoz