Apple cleans up artist discographies on Apple Music for easier browsing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2018
Apple has reorganized artist collections on Apple Music, putting releases in a more logical order similar to its main rival in on-demand music, Spotify.

Apple Music iPad

Studio albums now have their own section, and are shown first, reflecting their usual importance in an artist's catalog. Singles, EPs, live albums, and compilations are likewise split off, and many artists have an additional "Essential Albums" section.

Until recently Apple mixed items like singles in with albums. This sometimes meant having to wade through smaller releases to find major ones, and could be problematic for people discovering an artist for the first time.

Apple has been making a series of changes to Apple Music in recent months to improve its usability. The service now has 116 "Top 100" regional charts and a weekly "Friends Mix" with tracks from peers, as well as a "Coming Soon" section that highlights upcoming albums. Artist profiles have bigger artwork and a "Play" button, and searches can include lyrics.

Apple Music macOS

iOS 12, which could launch as soon as this week, isn't expected to bring any major changes to Apple Music. Instead Apple appears to be focusing on server-side updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Albums and singles used to be separated in the first year of Apple Music. I’m not sure why and when they put them all together. Apple can be annoying sometimes when they inexplicably did things against a logic like this. 
    wonkothesanecornchip
  • Reply 2 of 8
    One small step for Apple; One giant leap for...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Your link that reads “iOS 12, which could launch as soon as this week” just links back to this article. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Long overdue, but I won't complain, just glad that we got it at all.
    brownbearcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Also hope that it allows users to self tag items as singles etc.... so we can sort out lots of messy, large libraries!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    While you are at it Apple. Please give us a modern search engine that can give you search suggestions and guess at the band name if you didn't type it correctly. I have used Spotify as I am an artist and maintain an artist profile there. It's sad to say that Spotify has you beat on interface and ease of use thought Apple Music has a broader selection of music. For all the reworking that apple has done to iTunes it seems we are still stuck in a DOS like world with old code that keeps this system feeling archaic. I love apple products but I also like to give apple honest feedback.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tikilabtikilab Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I wonder if there's a way to report mis-categorized titles. In your first image, the Cyndi Lauper album "The Body Acoustic" is a studio album, not a compilation (the album contains new arrangements of older songs). I did a quick look around and found some other artists with similar errors, i.e. EPs and compilations listed as albums.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 8
    chopdog said:
    Also hope that it allows users to self tag items as singles etc.... so we can sort out lots of messy, large libraries!
    I would also like to see this, but still have the ability to associate said single with an album.