If you have an iPhone X, should you upgrade to the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    I have an X with 256GB and pre-ordered the XS 512GB only because of the increase in capacity. If they would not of offered the 512GB no way would I of upgraded I but I’m forced to due to almost reaching 256GB.
    supadav03kgkuntryluvrunbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 76
    macmarcus said:

I might not have upgraded for the first time (I have done every year).

Same here! I upgraded every year way back before it became “a thing.” :wink: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 76
    6BQ56BQ5 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    I still have my 6S and am wondering if I should upgrade to a 7. :o

I think the best way to look at an upgrade is to ask what will I be able to do with the new device that I can't do now? And not only that ... but, will I actually use the newly available feature?

That's the logical way of thinking about this.

Otherwise, do what makes you feel happy. Do you want to upgrade and have the means to do it? If so then God bless you and your good fortune. The world economy will thank you for your contribution.
    vadimyuryevappleismymiddlenameStrangeDaysaylkmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 76
    6BQ5 said:
    I still have my 6S and am wondering if I should upgrade to a 7. :o

I think the best way to look at an upgrade is to ask what will I be able to do with the new device that I can't do now? And not only that ... but, will I actually use the newly available feature?

That's the logical way of thinking about this.

Otherwise, do what makes you feel happy. Do you want to upgrade and have the means to do it? If so then God bless you and your good fortune. The world economy will thank you for your contribution.
    True that!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Really annoying nitpick:

"My cohort Max"

I think you mean "colleague" or something like that.

Cohort:  "a group of people banded together or treated as a group: a cohort of civil servants patiently drafting legislation."

Although:  "often derogatory a supporter or companion."
    nitpick - to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details ...

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 76
    I’m an iPhone X owner and decided to upgrade to the XS Max. If there was no Max she the XS was the only option I wouldn’t have upgraded. My phone is my main computing device so the larger screen was a huge draw. Never going to complain about a better camera or more battery life either. Was more interested in the XR and the XS. Honestly, I would be more likely to switch to the XR from the X than to the XS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 76
    bonobob said:

Quote:  The biggest new feature is Bokeh and Depth Control, which allows you to adjust the background blur and depth after taking photos. This feature alone is going to convince a lot of people to upgrade, simply because it makes photos look noticeably better. 
    The iPhone X is capable of doing both of these features. The only question is whether iOS 12 Photos app will allow it on the X.  The third party Focos app can adjust both depth of field and plane of focus on a portrait mode photo on an iPhone X.
    The answer appears to be no, they won't add "bokeh" adjust in photos at least not yet. There is also an app called Slør that's been out almost since the X came out. Works really well and allows you to move the focus point around in addition to changing depth of field.

This seems like a marketing money grab from Apple. Pretty disappointing and I'm an Apple fanboy for sure. I've only skipped one other iPhone (the 7) for the last 10+ years but will be skipping the Xs as well, I think.
    williamlondonaylk
  • Reply 48 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Planning on upgrading to the XS from a 7 Plus. 
    You will miss the large display.
    netmagetyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 76
    I myself have an iPhone X. At one point I thought I was definitely not upgrading but then I realized I’m really just paying the same amount if I don’t upgrade. If I wait a year and fully pay off the x then I’ll only get 50% or less back for it on eBay. If I upgrade it’s like apple buying it back for 50%. So it makes sense to upgrade just because I’m the end you’re spending the same amount. 
    This. Most people that complain about the price don't realize that it costs the same or a few bucks more to upgrade than what you're currently paying if you're on a payment plan.
    And Apple has done their job. Now they have people buying the new iPhone every year in perpetuity and not feeling like they’re spending anything, freeing up more room for things like the Watch, AirPods, cases, Apple Music, iCloud storage, etc.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Will IOS 12 on the XS Max let me specify my preference for rows and columns on the larger home screen and then adjust both size of, and space between, the icons accordingly?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Anyone who bought a new iPhone last year spent plenty on it. Get your money's worth and get at least another year out of it! I'm two and a half years into my SE and I'm hoping to get at least fiive years out of it. $100 for each year of use.
    tyler82
  • Reply 52 of 76
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    You can feel the super cycle coming from both iPhones and Apple Watch!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 76
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    As a matter of interest what case is everyone looking to get for the Max. The choices in the UK are extremely limited at the moment. I need something with protection such as the UAG particularly considering the glass construct and the cost of repairs. Would be interested to hear and thanks in advance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 76
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I have a 6S and it is still more than meeting my needs, so the urge to upgrade is just the luxury pleasure center of my brain talking ... I have no practical need to go anywhere for another year at least.

That said, I'll be taking a close look at the XR when I can see one in person, and if money isn't tight come Xmas I might even splash out for one. To me, the XR is far and away the best value proposition in the lineup this year. As nice as dual cameras would be, the ability to do "portrait mode" on a phone that costs (at least) $250 less than the dual-camera models (even with a marginally inferior to OLED display), the difference would still be a big jump up from the 6S. We'll see ... I'm notoriously stingy in some areas, and equally notoriously spendy in others ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 76
    i love the larger size and can’t wait for it!
    will there ever be too large a screen size?
    maybe - but not yet
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 76
    I'm a local storage hoarder with an almost full 256gb X, and a lover of large screens. The XS Max had me at 512gb and 6.5 inches. Everything else is just a bonus. On the bright side, this phone should last me until they release the terabyte iPhone, hopefully with a 7 inch screen lol. I'm so stoked to finally rub it in my Galaxy Note-loving best friend's face that my display is bigger than his for the first time!
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Bwlmog said:
    As a matter of interest what case is everyone looking to get for the Max. The choices in the UK are extremely limited at the moment. I need something with protection such as the UAG particularly considering the glass construct and the cost of repairs. Would be interested to hear and thanks in advance.
    I’m usually a “naturalist” and don’t use a case, especially on the plus models because it adds more bulk to an already large device.  However, when I do use a case, I’m a “minimalist” and I’ve placed an order with Totallee for one of their frosted clear cases. It’s nice and thin!
    Bwlmogsupadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 76
    I have an iPhone X and am very happy with it.

I'm tempted by the idea of a more durable phone and the larger screen of the Max.  I use the phone for web browsing and reading books, so the big screen makes a lot of sense to me.  I'm also relocating to Costa Rica, and getting a high-end phone repaired is extremely expensive there (and my AppleCare only works when I return to the USA).  So if it were actually significantly more durable that would be excellent.

Anyone know how much more durable it will be?  Any evidence of what they are doing to make it more durable?  My local Apple Store as no idea.  Seemed like they didn't know any more than the keynote content.
    supadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 76
    kimberly said:
    Will IOS 12 on the XS Max let me specify my preference for rows and columns on the larger home screen and then adjust both size of, and space between, the icons accordingly?
    No. That’s never been rumored as far as I know.

I know there used to be a way to make everything a bit larger too (separate from the zoom feature) but I don’t see it now on my device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 76
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    urahara said:
    It always has been so: if you own an iPhone from the last year, and this year comes an “S” model, it is not that much of a difference. 
    Not so. Most of the S years have had considerable improvements, featurewise and specs.

The 6S was the biggest upgrade ever.

- They doubled RAM to 2GB (which makes a huge difference).
    - The A9 had a much bigger jump in performance from the A8 than the A8 did from the A7.
    - They introduced Retina Flash.
    - They introduced NVMe storage.
    - They introduced 3D Touch.

It’s one of the most future-proof iPhones ever released. 
    Very true - after a new battery (for $29, no less), my 6s is still doing great. Feature-wise, it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth, but it continues to do almost everything I need and is a very sold phone. Two things are making me want to upgrade - the better cameras on newer models, and a bigger screen like the Xr or Xs has would be nice.
    watto_cobra