Everything you need to know about Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

Are we absolutely sure this is everything we need to know?

Perhaps there's more we would like to have known about this watch?

• Reply 22 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Right?! Zero mention of how it would affect the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.
    DAalsethboogerman2000lolliverbageljoeykingofsomewherehotJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Soli said:

Right?! Zero mention of how it would affect the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.
    The purpose of my rather trollish post was to highlight the epidemic of "you need to know" headlines and to perhaps guide AI away from such nonsense. up vote for unladen swallow...
    cgWerks
  • Reply 24 of 41
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Here's something I'd like to know...

How useful are these now (w/ cellular) if decoupled from an iPhone?
    (I'm thinking for stuff like tracking a bike-trip, but still having emergency contact. Getting an important notification. Ability to reply with more than the canned responses? Take a quick note. Listen to podcasts... the latter will improve, I suppose with the new OS, but space is still darn limited, I'd think.)

Also, can cellular, WiFi, BT, etc. be easily turned off?
    (And, if so, will it enable them in emergencies, such as a fall or if you try to enable SOS, etc.)

Thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    I had hoped for longer battery life, my current Apple Watch wouldn’t get me through my day and late night gym routine, it pooped out before I’d completed my workout. I love the new health features, as we grow older it’s important to keep track of our vital statistics so I’m buying, I’ll just have to carry my charger on my ride home from work to charge the battery. I hope it’s a little more durable, just reaching for something knocked the screen completely off the base, an unfortunate occurrence which rendered my current Apple Watch useless.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    danny602 said:
    I had hoped for longer battery life, my current Apple Watch wouldn’t get me through my day and late night gym routine, it pooped out before I’d completed my workout. I love the new health features, as we grow older it’s important to keep track of our vital statistics so I’m buying, I’ll just have to carry my charger on my ride home from work to charge the battery. I hope it’s a little more durable, just reaching for something knocked the screen completely off the base, an unfortunate occurrence which rendered my current Apple Watch useless.
    Two watches work miracles for this issue. While you're wearing one for the gym, already set up with a different band, your "office" watch is charging, all ready for a night out after your workout. Unless you sell your old watch, this is not a bad routine for prolonging battery life and always having a watch ready to go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    danny602 said:
    How long are your workouts?  I can put 2+ hours in the gym and not get close to running out for the day on my second gen.
    My problem is on long bike rides...
    StrangeDayscgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 41
    mac_128 said:
    danny602 said:
    Two watches work miracles for this issue. While you're wearing one for the gym, already set up with a different band, your "office" watch is charging, all ready for a night out after your workout. Unless you sell your old watch, this is not a bad routine for prolonging battery life and always having a watch ready to go.
    That really shouldn’t be necessary at all. I have an AW3 and even with a two-hour workout (using the HR sensor) it is nowhere near empty by bedtime. If your watch isn’t lasting all day and you’re not using the cell excessively, there’s something wrong with the battery. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    danny602 said:
    I hope it’s a little more durable, just reaching for something knocked the screen completely off the base, an unfortunate occurrence which rendered my current Apple Watch useless.
    This aspect would concern me, if I were to wear it a lot. Past watches got nicks, scratches, etc. but kept working.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I'll be very interested to see how they handle text size and wrapping with the rounded corners. This is how it's handled on the current watches:

If they merely scale this to the larger window, it will be cut off in the corners when scrolling. And note the default system size text -- will it be the same to accommodate more text in the new space, or will it be upscaled to be more legible in the larger display area?
    They showed examples of how apps like email and calendar etc look like on a larger screen kinda to show how the text is handled, you can compare to that
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    mac_128 said:
    That really shouldn’t be necessary at all. I have an AW3 and even with a two-hour workout (using the HR sensor) it is nowhere near empty by bedtime. If your watch isn’t lasting all day and you’re not using the cell excessively, there’s something wrong with the battery. 
    What is realistic, though? For example, a bike ride was mentioned above. Can it, for example.... go solo for a 4-hour outing which includes GPS tracking, while listening to podcasts/music, and still make a 5-10 minute emergency call if necessary?
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

The purpose of my rather trollish post was to highlight the epidemic of "you need to know" headlines and to perhaps guide AI away from such nonsense. up vote for unladen swallow...
    I agree completely.

Every couple of weeks this article will be rotated back to the top to pull more hits.

AI doesn't do as much investigation as it does rehash news from other sites. If other sites are slow then things can get a little thin.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 33 of 41
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Would love to get one of them, but comparing their connectivity, it seems someone traveling a lot would need to buy two, as the radio bands the different models offer barely overlap.

Unlike the iPhone which is almost universally useful, the AppleWatch is clearly a regional product.

Until it becomes as global as the iPhone, I’ll sadly wait and stick to my series 2.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    rcfa said:
    Would love to get one of them, but comparing their connectivity, it seems someone traveling a lot would need to buy two, as the radio bands the different models offer barely overlap.

Unlike the iPhone which is almost universally useful, the AppleWatch is clearly a regional product.

Until it becomes as global as the iPhone, I’ll sadly wait and stick to my series 2.
    What does that even mean “traveling a lot.. need to buy two”?

Are You telling me you want to travel to another country without an iPhone? Why?
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    danny602 said:
    I think we all wish the watch had a 2-3 day battery life, but with all the features packed in and the limits of batteries these days, it's just not possible without having an ungainly thick watch.  However, I would recommend looking into a routine to get the most out of your watch's battery.  

For me, I always charge my Series 2 about 2 hours in the evening.  When I'm home and fixing dinner and winding down for the day, I rarely need my watch, so it's charging until I got to bed.  Put it on when I do go to bed a 100%.  I use the silent alarm to wake up because I get up 30 minutes before my wife and this wakes me up without waking her up from my alarm (can't tell you how much she likes this feature!).  I turn on Theater Mode so the watch's face never needs to light up at night. When I wake up 7 hours later my batter is anywhere from 95%-100%.  I work out for about an hour, and depending on my workout, if I stream music from the watch to my AirPods, etc, the batter may get down 60%-80%.  I charge the watch off while I shower and fix breakfast, and that will add about 10% to the battery. That's enough to get me through the rest of the day and I still rarely dip below 20% by the time I get home and ready to charge it again.  It's a routine that's worked for me and maybe twice last year I found that my watch ran out of power before I was ready.  Maybe you could fine a routine that works for you that helps to get the most out of your battery while still getting full use out of the watch.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Soli said:
    It’s still not edge to edge design, there’s a curved bezel now. I’m sure in the next design or 2 they will do the full no bezel.
    I don't think the tech is available to make that happen and I don't expect that to happen for a long time, if ever (depending on how you define the edge of the Watch). I think this display size, PPI, and casing footprint are locked in for several more years.
    The technology may be closer than you think.  Combine VLSI wafer printing with 3D printing of non-homogeneous materials (including steel) and you could potentially fabricate an entire watch with luminescent surfaces anywhere you want.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gradly said:

They showed examples of how apps like email and calendar etc look like on a larger screen kinda to show how the text is handled, you can compare to that 
    I'll be very interested to see how they handle text size and wrapping with the rounded corners. This is how it's handled on the current watches:

If they merely scale this to the larger window, it will be cut off in the corners when scrolling. And note the default system size text -- will it be the same to accommodate more text in the new space, or will it be upscaled to be more legible in the larger display area?
    I re-watched that section of the keynote and did not see any examples of the type I'm discussing. I did find the examples below, which show that Apple is not addressing the rounded display area any differently than Android does -- i.e. they are clipping text and graphics as it scrolls into the rounded boundaries. So the reality is, the entire usable screen space is really limited to area inside the rounded display area if the developer doesn't want anything clipped. The graphic at the bottom then, shows the effective space a developer has to keep in mind in order to avoid any content clipping when scrolling. On a 44mm watch, the green area indicates the original 38mm active display area for reference.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Is it known yet if the stainless case retains the sapphire crystal of previous versions?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    despeck said:
    Is it known yet if the stainless case retains the sapphire crystal of previous versions?
    Yes. It's stated on the order pages for those models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 41
    rattlhed said:
    I think we all wish the watch had a 2-3 day battery life, but with all the features packed in and the limits of batteries these days, it's just not possible without having an ungainly thick watch.  However, I would recommend looking into a routine to get the most out of your watch's battery.  

For me, I always charge my Series 2 about 2 hours in the evening.  When I'm home and fixing dinner and winding down for the day, I rarely need my watch, so it's charging until I got to bed.  Put it on when I do go to bed a 100%.  I use the silent alarm to wake up because I get up 30 minutes before my wife and this wakes me up without waking her up from my alarm (can't tell you how much she likes this feature!).  I turn on Theater Mode so the watch's face never needs to light up at night. When I wake up 7 hours later my batter is anywhere from 95%-100%.  I work out for about an hour, and depending on my workout, if I stream music from the watch to my AirPods, etc, the batter may get down 60%-80%.  I charge the watch off while I shower and fix breakfast, and that will add about 10% to the battery. That's enough to get me through the rest of the day and I still rarely dip below 20% by the time I get home and ready to charge it again.  It's a routine that's worked for me and maybe twice last year I found that my watch ran out of power before I was ready.  Maybe you could fine a routine that works for you that helps to get the most out of your battery while still getting full use out of the watch.
    Good info, thanks. But, it sounds like you're still hoping for even part of 1 day, let alone 2-3. The way you do it makes sense, but we're still a long way (it seems) from an iPhone/iPad/laptop like 10-12 hours (i.e.: charge over night, and you're good to go all next day) type behavior.