Here are over 150 new features and changes in iOS 12 for iPhone and iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Someone should count the number of times in the video he says "a little bit" "slightly" "small change". Sounds like a revolutionary upgrade here!
    Ask for a refund. 
    Alex1Nlkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 39

cpsro said:

Here are over 150 new features and changes in iOS 12 for iPhone and iPad...

and no new Macs.
    GTFO. This is an article about software, get over it. 
    Alex1Nfastasleepwilliamlondonnetmage
  • Reply 23 of 39

Wow all the features I never (k)new I needed...
    How many really want to face such a learning curve every year?
    I'm afraid I'm with Cpsro... 
    People who don’t fear change?
    fastasleepwilliamlondonnetmage
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 131member
    Soooo... are we FINALLY going to get a more intuitive way to add photos to emails? You know, like a camera icon near the keyboard like every other text input app? I gave up hope that something like that would ever come to email. 
    Fortunately most of the entries in my active address book have mobile numbers as well as email addresses, otherwise I would be finding that lack of function to be beyond annoying. 

edited June 2018
  • Reply 25 of 39
    I'm surprised the WorkFlow app survived. I thought it would be the backbone of the new Shortcuts app and would be replaced by the new app.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Someone should count the number of times in the video he says "a little bit" "slightly" "small change". Sounds like a revolutionary upgrade here!
    Really, “revolutionary’!? Which three of the 150, exactly? (Just kidding, one will suffice....)

Pretty much everything is a tweak, or a cute little stylistic bell or whistle. This should have been v11.5, not deserving of v12.0. 

iOS 11.5 right now but would probably warrant the new major version number when the new iPhones are out.

Maybe this is the "Butter" version of iOS!

• Reply 27 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Soooo... are we FINALLY going to get a more intuitive way to add photos to emails? You know, like a camera icon near the keyboard like every other text input app? I gave up hope that something like that would ever come to email. 
    Pressing on the screen and selecting Insert Photo/Video isn’t difficult. Why does it need to change?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    At last I will be able to enable those damn notifications that were popping screen in the middle of night (not everybody sleeps in the middle of city lights or has such crazy preference). They were so obnoxious and prevented from keeping screen open for alarm clock. Who the hell gave the idea to anyone that having notification for every unimportant thing will be an excellent concept for humans? Plain wash... mixed with really important once. Someone had too much time on hands... and someone should focus on daily activities - not on phone.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Just wondering: as quite a few are underwhelmed by iOS 12 – what would be on your wish list that iOS should do, but doesn’t? It is my impression that this simply is a quite mature OS.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cpsro said:

Here are over 150 new features and changes in iOS 12 for iPhone and iPad...

and no new Macs.
    You're a broken record but hey, you can keep repeating yourself every 5 seconds if you want to. It won't change a thing. And guess what? If new Macs are announced tomorrow you'll be disappointed and underwhelmed. It's just who you are I guess.
    edited September 2018 williamlondonnetmage
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Really, “revolutionary’!? Which three of the 150, exactly? (Just kidding, one will suffice....)

Pretty much everything is a tweak, or a cute little stylistic bell or whistle. This should have been v11.5, not deserving of v12.0. 

Bullshit.

Simple rewriting portions of the kernel to improve performance already makes this worthy of a point upgrade. Apple didn't improve performance by "tweaking" a few lines of code or changing a few internal settings.
    netmagefastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Thanks for the summary. I've been using iOS 12 since Beta 1 and I've found it to be very smooth and reliable for all of the features and apps that I use on a day to day basis. It simply feels better. If there are 150+ new features/updates that's great too, but they will go largely unnoticed by most folks because the overall user experience is improved and basically works as you expect it to work with no unwanted surprises. I'd put macOS Mojave in the same category, it's simply better, smoother, and more reliable.

Apple sorely needed a software release cycle like iOS 12 and macOS Mojave to get everything in their software house stable and solid, both in their code base and in their software development process. Both sets of betas were very stable with very few surprises. It wasn't perfect, but it was outstanding. They maintained a predictable release cadence over the entire beta phase and were able to practically release new builds on-demand, which one expects of a working continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) process and movement towards a fully formed DevOps organization. This says a lot of good things about the improvements and growing maturity of their software development process and will pay enormous dividends with future versions of iOS and macOS. As far as the code base is concerned, everyone likes to talk blithely about artificial intelligence (AI), augmented reality (AR), machine learning (ML), etc., but all of these areas place a tremendous burden on the underlying software system architecture in terms of performance and scalability. If the underlying software architecture isn't stable, robust, and built on SOLID principles it will never scale or perform in a way that makes any of these grand features attainable. I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road, but based on this last round of betas Apple is definitely upping their software game in an end-customer recognizable way.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Group FaceTime was delayed.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    SoCalZman said:
    • Leveler removed from Compass app

Wait, what? The Leveler is insanely useful on our iPhones! Is it being put in another app or taken out completely? And if taken out completely, why would they do something like that?
    Just relocated to the new Measure app. 
    I don't know why they didn't rebrand Compass as Measure and stick all of the new functionality in there.  Compass is very single use now, and it's a use a lot of people won't have much call for.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Some apps and features have hardware requirements, like Group Facetime and the Measure app. It would have been nice to add those limitations to the list.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Supports two faces for Face ID 

Politicians are going to flock to iPhones!
  • Reply 37 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

frantisek said:
    On Tech radar they claim Siri can translate. And maybe one other feature I found there but do not remember. Read it few days ago. https://www.techradar.com/news/ios-12
    Already does. I've asked Siri to translate words and short phrases for some time now. Maybe it's gaining more ability.
    SoCalZman said:
    • Leveler removed from Compass app

Wait, what? The Leveler is insanely useful on our iPhones! Is it being put in another app or taken out completely? And if taken out completely, why would they do something like that?
    Maybe finish reading before posting.

Still no stock weather app for iPad. Very odd.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    JCM84JCM84 Posts: 1member
    Am I the only one struggling to get the usual video player options up? I sometimes manage but not sure how. It’s annoying because there is no 15 second playback or playforward. Please help!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    JCM84 said:
    Am I the only one struggling to get the usual video player options up? I sometimes manage but not sure how. It’s annoying because there is no 15 second playback or playforward. Please help!
    Where, in which app?