Apple's iOS 12 is here, adding improved performance, Life Balance features, Memoji, Augmen...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Anyone else getting a partial alert window at the top of their screen?  I am only seeing the bottom line of the alert when it comes in.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    supadav03 said:
    Just updated to iOS 12 and I’m already seeing a few things that are weird.
    But, but, this is the most beta tested iOS update ever!

I'll wait for the .0.1 release. Should only be a couple of days.

/s
  • Reply 23 of 43
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:
    Augmented reality is so garbage and useless feature for people who do not have anything better to do with life. Go on with wasting time. There is far more productive things to do woth mobile devices.
    I'm not convinced one way or another. I don't like the constant attention to these kinds of fluff features but I think AR has to be potentially more useful than what they've done to iMessage (animoji being the most idiotic addition, next to making the thing a cesspool like the Windows system tray with "apps").
    AR is great for things like medical procedures, surgeons being able to see in real-time what's going on inside a patient's body before going in with the knife.
    This sounds like fantasy. There's no technology to visually show anyone what's going on inside anyone's body unless they're in an fMRI machine, and the actual imagery and their value is very limited.
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 43
    dysamoria said:
    Augmented reality is so garbage and useless feature for people who do not have anything better to do with life. Go on with wasting time. There is far more productive things to do woth mobile devices.
    I'm not convinced one way or another. I don't like the constant attention to these kinds of fluff features but I think AR has to be potentially more useful than what they've done to iMessage (animoji being the most idiotic addition, next to making the thing a cesspool like the Windows system tray with "apps").
    It's an iterative process towards dedicated hardware, such as XR glasses. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Most exciting thing in iOS 12 is the Siri Shortcuts.
    Rest is pretty meh. Augmented reality has zero use cases I can think of (for me)
    Hopefully stability and performance improvements for everyone in there somewhere. 
    Awaiting reports of broken x.y.z in 3..2..1 for older phones.

Followed by iOS 12.01 not too long after.

baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 43
    ageyer said:
    After GM update last week now nothing new shows up, which seems to be normal.. but where is Shortcuts app? Checked in the App Store and was not found
    If you had Workflow installed then it will just update to Shortcuts app. If not searching for Workflow in the App Store brought it up.
    I updated to iOS 12 and it's still showing the Workflow app on my phone. I go to the App store to search for the Shortcuts app and it just says open so for some reason, mine didn't update. 

EDIT: I restarted my phone and now it's showing up as the new Shortcuts app. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 27 of 43
    dysamoria said:
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:
    AR is great for things like medical procedures, surgeons being able to see in real-time what's going on inside a patient's body before going in with the knife.
    This sounds like fantasy. There's no technology to visually show anyone what's going on inside anyone's body unless they're in an fMRI machine, and the actual imagery and their value is very limited.
    Agreed Dysamoria.  Sadly, sflocal demonstrates the level of general scientific knowledge these days . . .
    baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 43
    dysamoria said:
    sflocal said:
    dysamoria said:
    Not sure if he/she meant literally to see what's going on inside. Here is a good article that shows potential use of AR during surgery:

https://hbr.org/2018/03/how-augmented-reality-will-make-surgery-safer
    edited September 2018 macplusplusStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 43
    I’m in the middle of a thunderstorm right now with winds gusting to at least 30-40mph. Just for a test I said “Hey Siri is it windy out”. Siri responded back, “No I don’t think it’s all that windy, only 9mph”. Siri still can be such garbage. Unbelievable.
    Do you seriously think that Siri actively collects, say, weather conditions everywhere itself?

If whatever information aggregator is used for things like weather conditions isn't up to the minute, Siri gets the same thing you'd get by directly contacting the same source. Blame NOAA (or whomever) for the error.
    StrangeDaysbb-15pulseimages
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Animoji keeps crashing on me in the middle of trying to create my own Animoji.  iPhone X user.  Anybody else having this issue?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    steveh said:
    I’m in the middle of a thunderstorm right now with winds gusting to at least 30-40mph. Just for a test I said “Hey Siri is it windy out”. Siri responded back, “No I don’t think it’s all that windy, only 9mph”. Siri still can be such garbage. Unbelievable.
    Do you seriously think that Siri actively collects, say, weather conditions everywhere itself?

If whatever information aggregator is used for things like weather conditions isn't up to the minute, Siri gets the same thing you'd get by directly contacting the same source. Blame NOAA (or whomever) for the error.
    My weather channel app was showing wind gusts. Apparently Siri doesn’t get that data.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'm really dreading the proliferation of Memojis ...
  • Reply 33 of 43
    When you turn on your television, you do know that the pictures are coming from somewhere else, and there aren’t actuallly tiny tiny people living inside it?
    StrangeDayspulseimagesmacplusplusigohmmm
  • Reply 34 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    supadav03 said:
    Just updated to iOS 12 and I’m already seeing a few things that are weird. Most notably, I can’t raise or lower the volume via control center. When I attempt to, it acts like I’m just doing an upwards swipe to close the control center. Screen brightness works fine. Anyone else having this issue? 
    I'm not. Tried it on iPhone 6 Plus, iPod 6, iPad pro 12.9", and iPad Pro 10.5" and it works perfectly on all of these devices.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    AR has huge potential.  To give just one example, how about do-it-yourself car repairs?  I have a heck of a time correlating what I'm seeing in a black and white diagram with what I see under the hood.  Having an overlay telling me immediately which part is which, or which fuse goes to what, would be immensely helpful.  

This came to mind when I poking around with the AR mode in the free iOS racing game CSR Racing 2.  The game has phenomenally detailed models of scores of exotic (and some mundane) cars.  With the AR view, you can "put" one of these cars on your living room table and explore it in three dimensions.  Some of the cars are include incredible detail under the hood, including hoses and wiring (and information stickers).  I'm running this on my "ancient" iPhone 6s and it looks amazing and runs super smoothly.  My wife couldn't care less about cars and even she was impressed.

(I'm not affiliated with the game in any way, but I recommend it highly--if only to show off how great something can look on a phone.)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    AR has huge potential.  To give just one example, how about do-it-yourself car repairs?  I have a heck of a time correlating what I'm seeing in a black and white diagram with what I see under the hood.  Having an overlay telling me immediately which part is which, or which fuse goes to what, would be immensely helpful.  

This came to mind when I poking around with the AR mode in the free iOS racing game CSR Racing 2.  The game has phenomenally detailed models of scores of exotic (and some mundane) cars.  With the AR view, you can "put" one of these cars on your living room table and explore it in three dimensions.  Some of the cars are include incredible detail under the hood, including hoses and wiring (and information stickers).  I'm running this on my "ancient" iPhone 6s and it looks amazing and runs super smoothly.  My wife couldn't care less about cars and even she was impressed.

(I'm not affiliated with the game in any way, but I recommend it highly--if only to show off how great something can look on a phone.)
    Yeah, AR has huge potential for HUD apps like you've described. Think about techs working inside electrical panels, switchgear, tank farms, or other complex routing and tracing problems. Coupled with a version of the Measure app that can handle 3D shapes it would be possible for an aircraft engine mechanic to perform realtime turbine blade inspections on aircraft and marine engines. AR today is like lasers and fiber optics in the 1960s and 1970s - a solution in search of a problem.The problems will come. Some of the early uses of fiber optics like ornamental lighting were kind of laughable just like Animoji are a laughable use of AR. But once a few smart people start seeing these demos and toys they will extrapolate the use of the technology for much more significant apps that impact out everyday lives. It's just a matter of time. 
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Useful to not show the iOS 12 build number (16A366) I have here.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    iOS 12 makes my iPad run like new again! No noticeable difference on my iPhone 8+ since it was already fast. 

What do the Android fanboys have to say about the fact that is Apple supporting iPhones as old as the 5S?

I used to have a Nexus 6 as a backup phone, and it quit getting OS updates last year! Thanks for abadoning your customers, Google.  
  • Reply 39 of 43
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Updated using iTunes. The download was fast, but everything else was very slow. Also got a somewhat strange and never seen before alert called "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" which at the moment was confusing because it was not clear it meant iTunes needed to be updated. The alert box is quite odd - that dark image of a phone is a weird choice. No where does it mention iTunes and it popped up while the iPhone update was trying to get going. At one point it all stopped working and I had to quit iTunes and try again. Before starting I had checked the app store to see if iTunes needed an update and it did not show one.

The update finally installed and iOS 12 seems to be working just fine. This process could have been smoother.

• Reply 40 of 43

Besides the big changes, Apple has added nice touches to a lot of other places. For example, the auto-suggest words and phrases when typing now don't seem so "boxed". They just kind of float, but within a clear demarcation.

When sending messages, clicking on the person's photo (or initials if you haven't set a photo), brings down the options for calling, FaceTime, or going to the actual Information screen on the Contacts for the person.