iPhone XS LTE speeds up to 266 percent faster than iPhone X, early test reveals

Posted:
in iPhone
As we head towards the release of the iPhone XS, the first speed tests are teasing what we can expect when it comes to LTE speeds across the major carriers. According to results from SpeedSmart.net, iPhone XS and XS Max will boast quite the improvement from last year's iPhone X.

Of the three major carriers -- AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile -- AT&T looks to be the fastest with average download speeds of 72.24Mbps. That figure compares to average recorded iPhone X speeds of 27.67Mbps.

Verizon was the second fastest in this test, with average downloads of 62.20Mbps, up from 26.08Mbps. T-Mobile came in a close third with 59.92Mbps on the iPhone XS, compared with 29.82Mbps on the iPhone X.

When looking at the increases, the new iPhone XS and XS Max show a 233-percent average bump in download speed across the three networks.

Upload speeds were slightly less impressive, with iPhone XS on T-Mobile netting 19.35Mbps, up from the 12.22Mbps seen on iPhone X. Verizon and AT&T hit 16.10Mbps and 14.88Mbps, respectively, up from 10.92Mbps and 10.28Mbps.

The survey was taken using the SpeedSmart Speed Test app on iPhone X, XS, XS Max between Sept. 12 and 16. Though early and surely limited due to a small sample size, the results show impressive gains that should be in line with speeds consumers can expect come Friday.

The greatly enhanced data transfer statistics comes thanks to new Gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO technology and LAA. With iPhone X, Apple employed two LCP FCPBs to power 2x2 MIMO, while the iPhone 8 series used a single LCP module. The integration of 4x4 MIMO standards with iPhone XS and XS Max delivers much improved bandwidth capable of supporting higher throughput.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Perhaps more to the point for most of us is whether this chipset and antennae will pull more out of marginal signal areas or better find a signal in patchy areas. Fast LTE speeds in a well covered area is less of an issue to me than simply getting something from what is there. 
    thtBwlmogmuthuk_vanalingamdoozydozendewmeGeorgeBMacretrogustomike1netmage
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Not sure that 30mbps vs. 60mbps will affect my usage much, but it certainly won’t hurt and with support for T-Mobile’s new band it’ll hopefully be a decent upgrade when my XS arrives.
    edited September 2018 doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Funny ,I got 50 mbps on my iPhone SE on LTE.
    aylk
  • Reply 4 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    popeyesm said:
    Perhaps more to the point for most of us is whether this chipset and antennae will pull more out of marginal signal areas or better find a signal in patchy areas. Fast LTE speeds in a well covered area is less of an issue to me than simply getting something from what is there. 
    I believe I read that T-Mobile and Sprint will allow for better reception in remote locations and in buildings with new spectrums being supported.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Intel XMM 7560 Gigabit LTE modem is reportedly faster than Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 modem because aside from undergoing the 14nm manufacturing process, it also offers flexibility and supports 5x carrier with combined downlink of 100MHz and 3x carrier for uplink upto 60MHz. Aside from networking, Intel’s modem also contributes to extend device’s battery life.
    MisterKitviclauyycdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 45
    sergioz said:
    Intel XMM 7560 Gigabit LTE modem is reportedly faster than Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 modem because aside from undergoing the 14nm manufacturing process, it also offers flexibility and supports 5x carrier with combined downlink of 100MHz and 3x carrier for uplink upto 60MHz. Aside from networking, Intel’s modem also contributes to extend device’s battery life.
    I hate the fact that the bottom of the XS & XS Max are not symmetrical. What was Apple thinking?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 7 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    popeyesm said:
    Exactly. This is why I really don’t care much about 5G. If I can even get reasonable LTE speeds, I’m happy.
    Bwlmogharry wild
  • Reply 8 of 45
    sergioz said:
    Is the power usage less than Qualcomm?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 45
    I hate the fact that the bottom of the XS & XS Max are not symmetrical. What was Apple thinking?
    I didn't notice anything. Can you supply an image and point out how it's not symmetrical?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Hmmmmmmmm.....so I just tested my 2017 iPhone X on AT&T in the Chicago metro area using the SpeedTest iOS app and I am seeing 59.4 Mbps download and 13.5 Mbps upload. I was thinking that there is finally a good reason for me to upgrade to the XS! lol
  • Reply 11 of 45
    ttrq said:
    Hmmmmmmmm.....so I just tested my 2017 iPhone X on AT&T in the Chicago metro area using the SpeedTest iOS app and I am seeing 59.4 Mbps download and 13.5 Mbps upload. I was thinking that there is finally a good reason for me to upgrade to the XS! lol
    It sounds like you're in an amazing area for AT&T LTE performance so I'm curious how much better the iPhone XS series would be for you. Any way you can test this before buying one?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    86 Mbps down, 28.9 Mbps up. AT&T in Orange County, CA on iPhone X.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Soli said:
    sergioz said:
    Is the power usage less than Qualcomm?
    Unfortunately there is no easy way to answer that question. Apple and Intel work together to make very capable modem.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 45
    sergioz said:
    Function over form. Like the notch and the camera bump. What’s behind those grills are more important than keeping them symmetrical.
    napoleon_phoneapartdoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 45
    B-Mc-C said:
    86 Mbps down, 28.9 Mbps up. AT&T in Orange County, CA on iPhone X.
    Nice connectivity. I wonder if your new XS will hit 200 Mbps down?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 45
    I just ran the test with Verizon on my X. I got 35.4 Mbps down. I'm currently out in the country so I'll have to test it tomorrow when I'm in the city. 

On a side note, anyone's XS ship yet? I just got my shipment notification from Verizon. Can't wait until Friday. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Soli said:
    ttrq said:
    It sounds like you're in an amazing area for AT&T LTE performance so I'm curious how much better the iPhone XS series would be for you. Any way you can test this before buying one?
    On a lightly loaded tower (3:00am) I’ve gotten 73/32 on an iPhone 6s. 

doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 45
    sergioz said:
    Literally unusable . 
    doozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 45
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Not seeing what the big deal is. I’m outside Raleigh, NC and even on a regular day I get these speeds close to this with my iPhone X:

edited September 2018 Kuyangkoh
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Are people in here really that clueless? Yes you may get faster speeds in your area with whatever phone you have. This is a comparison of the old phone and the new phones in the same location. Posting all your speed tests are meaningless until you post the same speed test with the new phones.
    SolidoozydozenMisterKitappleismymiddlenamedewmeGeorgeBMacmike1netmage