Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear on 'Good Morning America,' visits SoHo Apple store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Apple CEO Tim Cook is making the media rounds following last week's iPhone XS, XS Max, XR and Apple Watch unveiling, with the executive scheduled to talk up his company's new devices on ABC's Good Morning America.

Cook's upcoming appearance was announced in a tweet posted to GMA's Twitter account on Monday. According to ABC, Cook will appear in a one-on-one live interview with Robin Roberts tomorrow. When the segment will air is unclear, but the two-hour show starts at 7 a.m. Eastern

While the short teaser fails to mention what, exactly, Roberts intends to discuss with Cook, Apple's latest and greatest mobile products are sure to be a topic of discussion.

In addition to questions Roberts has lined up, GMA asked viewers to get involved by replying to the original tweet with their own queries for Cook.

The Apple executive first appeared on ABC's morning show in 2016 to talk about that year's big hardware launches -- iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2 and AirPods -- with Roberts. He again visited last year to discuss iPhone X and Face ID, as well as the legacy of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

It appears Cook is already in New York for tomorrow's taping, as the executive on Monday visited Apple's SoHo store and posed for photos with retail staff, according to multiple Twitter posts.

"Thanks Apple Soho and to our team around the world for the hard work you're doing this week and all year round! Can't wait for Friday," Cook said in a tweet posted to his personal account.

A photo accompanying the message shows store employees gathered around Cook for a group photo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Let me guess, Tim will wax on about making Apple products affordable for everybody while the prices for what they announced last Wednesday have gone up. iPhone 8 started at $699, XR starts at $749. Prior to Wednesday the iPhone line started at $399, now it starts at $449. Apple Watch Series 3 GPS started at $329, Series 4 starts at $399. Series 3 GPS + cellular was $399, Series 4 is $499. The entry level Watch started at $249, now it’s $279. The most expensive iPhone 6 Plus (128GB) was $949. A 64GB iPhone XS Max is $1,099. You can argue that the price increases are justified but bottom line prices are going up.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    "iPhone 8 started at $699, XR starts at $749."

To Apple's credit, during the keynote Schiller compared the XR to the 8 Plus.  Last year, the 8 Plus started at $799 so from that perspective the XR has dropped in price by $50.  But I agree with the rest of the lineup.  In a mature market, when  YoY growth and user-base growth is at best slowing and at worst stagnant, plus the fact that upgrade cycles are getting longer, you try to extract as much as you can from whatever user-base you have, of course without pissing them off.  Whether you agree or not with that tactic is up to you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Forbes contributor one Ewan Spence already preaching the gloom and doom of iPhone Xs this cycle. He blames Tim Cook for not innovating and says the Apple CEO strategy is heading for a cliff. According to him iOS market share is losing to Android who has caught up with its (iOS’s) feature set. Hey I’m not an ‘expert’ like a lot the members here but the cycle of Apple bashing is getting heated up. A lot of the crap talk out there is over the price of these latest iPhones as far of innovation this is an S year so I personally wasn’t expecting anything jaw dropping. So from Forbes to the Verge to whoever this is the end. LOL 
    edited September 2018 mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Let me guess, Tim will wax on about making Apple products affordable for everybody while the prices for what they announced last Wednesday have gone up. iPhone 8 started at $699, XR starts at $749. Prior to Wednesday the iPhone line started at $399, now it starts at $449. Apple Watch Series 3 GPS started at $329, Series 4 starts at $399. Series 3 GPS + cellular was $399, Series 4 is $499. The entry level Watch started at $249, now it’s $279. The most expensive iPhone 6 Plus (128GB) was $949. A 64GB iPhone XS Max is $1,099. You can argue that the price increases are justified but bottom line prices are going up.
    So what’s your point?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gilly017 said:
    Forbes contributor one Ewan Spence already preaching the gloom and doom of iPhone Xs this cycle. He blames Tim Cook for not innovating and says the Apple CEO strategy is heading for a cliff. According to him iOS market share is losing to Android who has caught up with its (iOS’s) feature set. Hey I’m not an ‘expert’ like a lot the members here but the cycle of Apple bashing is getting heated up. A lot of the crap talk out there is over the price of these latest iPhones as far of innovation this is an S year so I personally wasn’t expecting anything jaw dropping. So from Forbes to the Verge to whoever this is the end. LOL 
    Well, there never has been anything radical in the S cycle. It’s mainly about improvements and fixes. Anything big will come next year. 

And any analyst who is still banging the market share drum is writing on toilet paper. 
    gilly017jony0claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11

To Apple's credit, during the keynote Schiller compared the XR to the 8 Plus.  Last year, the 8 Plus started at $799 so from that perspective the XR has dropped in price by $50.  But I agree with the rest of the lineup.  In a mature market, when  YoY growth and user-base growth is at best slowing and at worst stagnant, plus the fact that upgrade cycles are getting longer, you try to extract as much as you can from whatever user-base you have, of course without pissing them off.  Whether you agree or not with that tactic is up to you.
    I get why Schiller made the comparison to the Plus. I get that Apple can argue why the prices are what they are. But the bottom line is the prices have gone up, for all the reasons you suggest. I guess we’ll see if this strategy works long term. At some point it’s going to be difficult for prices to keep going up.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    You’ve become quite the Apple hater haven’t you. Any chance you will abandon the platform for greener pastures? Try it, you might like it.
    Muntzclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

In absolute terms prices are going up, even though Apple had a pretty good price spread when the older iPhone models are included.

From the myopic view of an accountant it looks like inflation.  Few accounting tools are available that can price the intrinsic values of higher quality, improved features, exquisite design, and a superior user experience over earlier iPhone iterations.

Apple is moving up the price elasticity curve because they believe in the increased value of their latest iPhone.  (Oh yea, and because shareholders want steadily improving returns.)  Not everyone can afford the latest iPhone.  But most should be able to afford the older versions.  And that’s not a bad deal.

Muntz
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:
    So what’s your point?

That Apple is charging more for questionable improvements. If that's ok with you, I think LCD TVs should get their prices raised reqularly, along with PCs, audio equipment, cameras, appliances, etc. Why should only Apple have all the fun? The idea was that consumer electronics have become cheaper - look at how TVs get bigger and their prices have come down. Maybe we need $5,000 70" TVs. Only fair, right?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    So don't buy anything and move to Android. So tired of the bitching. It's so tiring to hear.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

I get why Schiller made the comparison to the Plus. I get that Apple can argue why the prices are what they are. But the bottom line is the prices have gone up, for all the reasons you suggest. I guess we’ll see if this strategy works long term. At some point it’s going to be difficult for prices to keep going up.
    Not a good comparison on XR when it's closer to the XS than the iPhone 8 was to iPhone X.

iPhone X was such a new category that iPhone 8 felt like last years model where XR and XS share many of the same specs/features etc. 
    watto_cobra