Updates bring Password Autofill support to 1Password, Dashlane, Keeper and LastPass

Posted:
in iPhone
Updates to popular iOS titles 1Password, Dashlane, LastPass and Keeper deliver support for Apple's Password Autofill tool, a built-in password management extension that is now open to third-party apps in iOS 12.

With the latest versions of 1Password, Dashlane, Keeper and LastPass, users no longer have to rely on Share Sheets -- or switch between apps -- to fill in password text fields found while browsing the web or in apps that require authenticated logins.

Previously, Password Autofill was restricted to iCloud Keychain, but newly added functionality in iOS 12 allows integration with third-party password managers that implement a credential provider extension.

In practice, the new feature makes information from password managers easily accessible from any app that supports the system-level feature. For example, users can apply information stored in third-party apps to fill in online login forms presented in Safari.

To enable Password Autofill, navigate to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and activate Autofill Passwords. Users can then select which supporting password management apps to enable for autofill duties, including iCloud Keychain.

Once activated, users are able to access password credentials in supporting apps by tapping on Password Autofill -- a small key icon that appears above the soft keyboard -- and selecting information from a desired service. The device authenticates its user via Face ID, Touch ID or PIN code prior to filling in provisioned text fields, such as user name and password.

Password Autofill support for third-party apps is one of many new features included in Apple's iOS 12, which saw release earlier today. The next-generation operating system incorporates marquee features like life management tool Screen Time, advanced augmented reality functionality via ARKit 2.0, Memoji for iPhone X, Siri Shortcuts and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Not seeing the checkable options for Keychain or 1Password. 

Edit: I’m guessing I need the latest 1Password. Another reason to consider upgrading. 
    edited September 2018 manfred zorn
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I've been wanting this for 8(?) years. This is going to save everyone a lot of clicks and will make it easier to get techtarded friends and family members to use a proper password manager. It's specifically because of this iOS 12 feature that I signed up for the 1Password family account and have been getting every on board. Since it's $5/month or up to five people and then $1/month for each additional person I'm having everyone send me $12 for the year. It's definitely going to make my life easier.
    edited September 2018 douglas baileyjony0
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kruegdude said:
    It's available after updating 1Password.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kruegdude said:
    Edit: I’m guessing I need the latest 1Password. Another reason to consider upgrading. 
    I believe it's a free upgrade that doesn't require a subscription to get this useful new feature..
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kruegdude said:

If you had read the article it tells you that you need the latest version of 1Password which is available on the App Store right now for free. It's literally in the first sentence LOL!!!!
    douglas bailey
  • Reply 6 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    kruegdude said:

I'm not seeing it, either, and I'm also not seeing an update to 1Password for iOS.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    anome said:
    kruegdude said:

I'm not seeing it, either, and I'm also not seeing an update to 1Password for iOS.
    Let's start with what version of 1Password you are running.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    kruegdude said:

Let's start with what version of 1Password you are running.

The update did turn up, shortly after I posted that. Still, it can be confusing when you seem to be running the latest version, but the features it's supposed to have don't show up.

It's working now, which should make a lot of stuff less irritating, although the 2FA log ins will continue to be a pain.

• Reply 9 of 20
    anome said:

It's working now, which should make a lot of stuff less irritating, although the 2FA log ins will continue to be a pain.

2FA is great with the new version of 1Password!! Once it has populated the login details it will copy the one use code to the clipboard. You just have to paste it. The 1Password app prompted me to turn this on when I opened it after upgrade, because you need to allow the 'clipboard' to send you notifications. 

Best upgrade ever. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    anome said:

2FA is great with the new version of 1Password!! Once it has populated the login details it will copy the one use code to the clipboard. You just have to paste it. The 1Password app prompted me to turn this on when I opened it after upgrade, because you need to allow the 'clipboard' to send you notifications. 

Best upgrade ever. 
    1) At least on the Mac, they have moved the Security Audit features up the sidebar and have included a lot more, including letting you know which websites have 2FA that you have not enabled.

2) Perhaps iOS 13 will bring more evolved APIs that will allow for the one-time code to be added automatically, like it does for Apple's codes; but that may require 3rd-parties to send you the code via iMessage to a specific device, which is possible now that they have business chat.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 11 of 20
    macxpress said:
    kruegdude said:

If you had read the article it tells you that you need the latest version of 1Password which is available on the App Store right now for free. It's literally in the first sentence LOL!!!!
    I read the article but assumed 1Password had been updated when I did an “update all” for the 15 or so updates after installing iOS 12. It wasn’t and still doesn’t show up in the App Store updates screen. What I meant by my comment was that I’m on the paid app and not the version 7 subscription so I had assumed I needed to upgrade to that. Any other bright comments from the peanut gallery? 
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Working for me after I updated LastPass.  Very nice feature!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    anome said:

Best upgrade ever. 
    1) At least on the Mac, they have moved the Security Audit features up the sidebar and have included a lot more, including letting you know which websites have 2FA that you have not enabled.

2) Perhaps iOS 13 will bring more evolved APIs that will allow for the one-time code to be added automatically, like it does for Apple's codes; but that may require 3rd-parties to send you the code via iMessage to a specific device, which is possible now that they have business chat.
    One other problem: you cannot tell it which password field to use; it always fills in the first one it encounters in the 1Password record. If you have a record with more than one password (an encryption key for example) then you can’t use it. 
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:

Best upgrade ever. 

One other problem: you cannot tell it which password field to use; it always fills in the first one it encounters in the 1Password record. If you have a record with more than one password (an encryption key for example) then you can’t use it. 
    I've asked them to add an extra field to their username and password options a few times over the years. They do use a security key with their username and password for their 1password.com login, but I think it adds it automatically when you access it the first time through an email, and then the security key is saved in your browser after that. I hope that will make them realize that it could be a useful add.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I'd love to use this feature, but whenever I tap the "Passwords & Accounts" item in Settings the app crashes.

I bugged this with Apple three years ago. It's a duplicate of another bug, and both mine and the original are still not fixed.

It's something in my account/password data that causes it, and I can't understand why Apple can't simply catch such exceptions and handle them appropriately? It's not a priority, I understand, but when they release a new feature in iOS that touches on this area, surely they should take a look at such bugs?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    darkpaw said:
    I'd love to use this feature, but whenever I tap the "Passwords & Accounts" item in Settings the app crashes.

I bugged this with Apple three years ago. It's a duplicate of another bug, and both mine and the original are still not fixed.

It's something in my account/password data that causes it, and I can't understand why Apple can't simply catch such exceptions and handle them appropriately? It's not a priority, I understand, but when they release a new feature in iOS that touches on this area, surely they should take a look at such bugs?
    That depends on how many people have reported it. Without access to your password data, how’re they going to find out what the problem is? I’ve never seen this crash, but if it’s crashing when you go into password and accounts then it may not be your password data (at this point, until you view it, I’m not sure it’s tried to load your password data yet). The same screen also carries settings for third party accounts, so it could be one of those settings that’s causing a problem. Trouble is, I’m not sure how you can delete them if you cannot get into the settings 🤔

This might be one of those cases where a reset is needed. 

By the way, as a developer,  I’m going to point out that nothing useful ever came out of a requirement “to catch an exception and handle it appropriately”.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:

Best upgrade ever. 

I've asked them to add an extra field to their username and password options a few times over the years. They do use a security key with their username and password for their 1password.com login, but I think it adds it automatically when you access it the first time through an email, and then the security key is saved in your browser after that. I hope that will make them realize that it could be a useful add.
    Mmm. The problem is the API call Apple gave them. It only returns the first password.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Rayz2016 said:
    darkpaw said:

That depends on how many people have reported it. Without access to your password data, how’re they going to find out what the problem is? I’ve never seen this crash, but if it’s crashing when you go into password and accounts then it may not be your password data (at this point, until you view it, I’m not sure it’s tried to load your password data yet). The same screen also carries settings for third party accounts, so it could be one of those settings that’s causing a problem. Trouble is, I’m not sure how you can delete them if you cannot get into the settings 🤔

This might be one of those cases where a reset is needed. 

By the way, as a developer,  I’m going to point out that nothing useful ever came out of a requirement “to catch an exception and handle it appropriately”.
    Well, I'm not the only person to have reported it, and I have added extra comments on the bug over the years. Nothing changes.

They don't need my actual password data. Apple receive crash reports for their apps, so it makes sense that they will have the stack trace, and can probably catch such an exception. I haven't got any third party accounts setup. Never added any. What's in that screen? I don't think I've ever been able to see it.

As this password and account data is shared with Safari, whenever I use Safari on iOS I also cannot tap the "Other Passwords..." option, as it crashes Safari.

It also happens on my iPad, too, so what do you want me to reset?

By the way, as a developer, too, the requirement wasn't to "catch an exception and handle it appropriately;" it was to fix the specific bug, which is a valid requirement. Catching the exception is part of the development of the fix.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    anome said:

Best upgrade ever. 
    A question about 2FA with 1password: Does it work across devices? If I save a 2FA factor on my iPhone, can I access it from my iPad without having to get my iPhone and load it from there? Because I've been trying to work out how you can do that without introducing some fairly significant issues for security of your second factor. (Most logins only let you have the one 2FA authenticator at a time, which caused me no end of trouble once, when I forgot to transfer it to my new phone on one of my accounts.)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kruegdude said:
    macxpress said:
    kruegdude said:

I read the article but assumed 1Password had been updated when I did an “update all” for the 15 or so updates after installing iOS 12. It wasn’t and still doesn’t show up in the App Store updates screen. What I meant by my comment was that I’m on the paid app and not the version 7 subscription so I had assumed I needed to upgrade to that. Any other bright comments from the peanut gallery? 
    I'm on the paid app through the App Store as well and I got the update. Are you sure you're not running an earlier version than 7? If you're on say version 6.x you're not gonna see this update. 

More bright ideas from the peanut gallery....