iPhone XS LTE speeds up to 266 percent faster than iPhone X, early test reveals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    It can only get better from here. Although I just hope it works better when I really need it and can’t get off of 4G or two small bars of LTE. 
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Faster is great. I’m paying through every imaginable orifice for 40 GB/month. I can easily rip through all of that in 42 minutes on Verizon with my iPhone X, especially with my Mac tethered to it. If I still had the “unlimited” plan, which would cap me to 8 GB/month before throttling back to 3G speeds of around 25 KB/second, which is only fast enough for email and iMessage, I can blast through that in 7-8 minutes.

Watch a 4K movie or two and that’s 10GB. Verizon charges $15 for each additional 1 GB. I don’t worry about the price of movies on iTunes. $15 movie, but downloading costs 5x as much and Hulu/YouTube make it difficult to download while you’re at Starbucks to watch later.

i don’t need faster. I need cheaper. Why bother getting 5G if it means I can burn through my data cap in under one minute. Then I’m looking for free wi-fi anywhere I can find it. I end up eating crap Thai food at this restaurant because the laundromat next door has 110 mbps down. Food might kill me, but for $10, I get pad Thai, a Thai iced tea and download 2-3 movies.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Not quite sure if that’s really a big deal. Here is what my year-old iPhone X is already capable of:

• Reply 24 of 45
    chaicka said:
    Not quite sure if that’s really a big deal. Here is what my year-old iPhone X is already capable of:

Maybe your XS will be able to get 300-400...let us know!
    netmage
  • Reply 25 of 45
    sergioz said:
    Intel XMM 7560 Gigabit LTE modem is reportedly faster than Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 modem because aside from undergoing the 14nm manufacturing process, it also offers flexibility and supports 5x carrier with combined downlink of 100MHz and 3x carrier for uplink upto 60MHz. Aside from networking, Intel’s modem also contributes to extend device’s battery life.
    I hate the fact that the bottom of the XS & XS Max are not symmetrical. What was Apple thinking?
    That function trumps form?
  • Reply 26 of 45
    If that’s passing as LTE in the US in 2018, you guys are definitely getting cheated by your carriers.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Look on the one of the bright sides, with the dual sims you can now consider using one for a cheap unlimited plan like T-Mobile if they allow that. 

Also, speed tests are useless.  Many factors should be considered. Such as how close you are to the tower,  how congested the tower is, the real test should be while the tower is congested and see the speed improvement. 
  • Reply 28 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Soli said:
    I hate the fact that the bottom of the XS & XS Max are not symmetrical. What was Apple thinking?
    I didn't notice anything. Can you supply an image and point out how it's not symmetrical?
    It’s supposed to have a notch, just like the top!
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Faster is great. I’m paying through every imaginable orifice for 40 GB/month. I can easily rip through all of that in 42 minutes on Verizon with my iPhone X, especially with my Mac tethered to it. If I still had the “unlimited” plan, which would cap me to 8 GB/month before throttling back to 3G speeds of around 25 KB/second, which is only fast enough for email and iMessage, I can blast through that in 7-8 minutes.

Watch a 4K movie or two and that’s 10GB. Verizon charges $15 for each additional 1 GB. I don’t worry about the price of movies on iTunes. $15 movie, but downloading costs 5x as much and Hulu/YouTube make it difficult to download while you’re at Starbucks to watch later.

i don’t need faster. I need cheaper. Why bother getting 5G if it means I can burn through my data cap in under one minute. Then I’m looking for free wi-fi anywhere I can find it. I end up eating crap Thai food at this restaurant because the laundromat next door has 110 mbps down. Food might kill me, but for $10, I get pad Thai, a Thai iced tea and download 2-3 movies.
    You know Verizon has offered unlimited plans again for almost 2 years, right?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    payeco said:
    Are people in here really that clueless? Yes you may get faster speeds in your area with whatever phone you have. This is a comparison of the old phone and the new phones in the same location. Posting all your speed tests are meaningless until you post the same speed test with the new phones.
    I think their point (at least as I take it) is that current LTE speeds are already quiet good (as fast or faster than the “233% faster” Xs speeds the article was quoting. This would seem to indicate that tower congestion and signal quality is going to play a much bigger roll than the phone. The other question it raises is whether there was an issue with the iPhone X they used for the test. If an iPhone X is capable of downloading at over 100 Mbps,and the iPhone Xs they used could get 73 Mbps speeds, why couldn’t their iPhone X? It may be more of an issue with the antenna and or signal amplifier than the intrinsic modem speed.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 45
    ItsDeCia said:
    If that’s passing as LTE in the US in 2018, you guys are definitely getting cheated by your carriers.
    Well when your data it too expensive to actually use like it is in Canada of course your speeds are going to be high since no one is actually using the network.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    MplsP said:
    payeco said:
    Are people in here really that clueless? Yes you may get faster speeds in your area with whatever phone you have. This is a comparison of the old phone and the new phones in the same location. Posting all your speed tests are meaningless until you post the same speed test with the new phones.
    I think their point (at least as I take it) is that current LTE speeds are already quiet good (as fast or faster than the “233% faster” Xs speeds the article was quoting. This would seem to indicate that tower congestion and signal quality is going to play a much bigger roll than the phone. The other question it raises is whether there was an issue with the iPhone X they used for the test. If an iPhone X is capable of downloading at over 100 Mbps,and the iPhone Xs they used could get 73 Mbps speeds, why couldn’t their iPhone X? It may be more of an issue with the antenna and or signal amplifier than the intrinsic modem speed.
    4x4 MIMO, which the new phones have, is going to greatly improve speeds in areas where your signal is weak and hold on to that signal for longer.
    edited September 2018 GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 33 of 45
    MplsP said:
    popeyesm said:
    Perhaps more to the point for most of us is whether this chipset and antennae will pull more out of marginal signal areas or better find a signal in patchy areas. Fast LTE speeds in a well covered area is less of an issue to me than simply getting something from what is there. 
    Exactly. This is why I really don’t care much about 5G. If I can even get reasonable LTE speeds, I’m happy.
    Yeh, me too.   For now.  
    But the benefit of 5G will come not from itself directly but when OS's and apps start to take advantage of its incredible speeds.

Actually, the biggest advances in personal computing have come not from CPUs but from advances in telecommunications -- because it opens new doors that are shut today.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    I didn't notice anything. Can you supply an image and point out how it's not symmetrical?
    The back isn't symmetrical with the front either.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 45

Look at it this way:   they're doing you a favor.   Otherwise you'd be eating a BigMac.   At least the PadThai won't kill you slowly.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    crowley said:
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    The back isn't symmetrical with the front either.
    Yeh!   All so Tim can get the stock price up!   Damn you Apple!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    This is an interesting comparison.
    But I would be more interested in comparing the (currently mythical) iPhone XI with 5G to the Xs with 4 mimo LTE.

iPhones are lasting longer and, when I buy one, I'm now thinking more long term.

(Come on ai!   Let's see how good you are!   See if you can do a side-by-side comparison to something that doesn't yet exist!)
  • Reply 38 of 45
    How does this compare to samsung?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Just in time for Verizon to send me a good offer for unlimited data. AT&T may be slightly faster (at least in this article), but Verizon's network is bigger and stronger.

I dumped AT&T because they (at the time) had no LTE network. Also they screwed us out of our original unlimited data plans. 
  • Reply 40 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    How can anybody expect to tell anything about the LTE speed in an uncontrolled environment and with such a small sample size?! With my X and AT&T, I sometimes get 75Mbps. Sometimes I get 5. Depends on the local conditions.