Google Maps becomes first third-party navigation app with Apple CarPlay support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chasm said:
    Although I’m incredibly unlikely to ever use Google Maps, as I don’t want them to know where I travel to and try to sell me stuff based on that or sell that information elsewhere, I’m delighted that third-party navigation app are now available. And for those few people where Google Maps is in fact better (or Waze, to name a better example) than what Apple Maps offers (this perception was true once, but now it’s more myth than reality IMO — Google Maps has gotten me lost plenty of times!), it’s great that they have the option.

Rob53’s point about waypoints is certainly a true advantage, though I find I just say “hey Siri, directions to [destination 1]” and then ask Siri for directions to the second destination [et al], so I haven’t missed waypoints. It would be nice for Apple can add that feature in the future, but “adjusting routes” is a thing already built into Apple Maps now. When asking for a given destination, the Maps app usually offers me at least two options on how to go — and of course if I choose to veer off the selected route (say, due to traffic) and join the other route, Maps just recalculates and eventually puts me on the other path. In my case, if I need to go seriously off-route because of a problem, I generally call up Waze and have it give me an alternative.

You realize that Waze is owned by Google and still gives them all of your location information, right?

Not that I care: I’m one of those crazy nutters that LIKES targeted advertising!  If I have to see ads - I would rather they be relevant!

As to the topic at hand - I’ve been waiting for this for a long time.  I got to try out Google maps in my car last night and it’s every bit as glorious as I thought it would be!

I’m glad this day finally came!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 28
    crankercranker Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I decided to give Google Maps a try yesterday on my way home from work, after having not used Google Maps in over two years since I got a CarPlay capable car. While I do know my way home, I have been using Apple Maps to avoid the worst traffic with great success. To start with, Google Maps had me literally drive around the block three quarters of a mile to get onto a road that was 100 yards away from where I started. I guess it did it to bring me to a light to turn left instead of having to turn left without a light, but still a waste of time. Then on the interstate it showed only four lanes where there were five and was telling me to get into the second to left lane when I knew I needed to be in the center lane. It kept referring to the exit I was approaching as the one after it. Since it was identifying it wrong if someone were to be trying to compare the street signs to what Google Maps was saying then they would be very confused. Then to top it off, though not as big of an issue, it mis-pronounced the name of the street I live on. I also felt that the interface was way too busy. Why do I care what traffic conditions are like on roads I won't even be driving on? It just puts too much information on the screen which is a distraction. Overall I am not too impressed. Other than going around the block it did take me the same route Apple Maps most always does, but I just don't see the advantages. I am sure it is different depending on where you live but I am going to be sticking to Apple Maps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    slurpy said:
    seankill said:
    For me personally, I think Apple Maps look so much better compared to Google Maps. On Apple Maps, all the houses and buildings are in 3D in my area and that looks way more aesthetically pleasing on the eye compared to Google Maps. One big pet peeve of mine on Google Maps is the lack of labeling on bodies of water. While trying out Google Maps in CarPlay this afternoon, I drove over a river and next to a lake. Neither were labeled. On Apple Maps, they are. There is a setting to show speed limits, but so far, I haven't seen any while use Google Maps in CarPlay. Apple Maps shows speed limits on all the roads where I live. 
    chasm said:
    Although I’m incredibly unlikely to ever use Google Maps, as I don’t want them to know where I travel to and try to sell me stuff based on that or sell that information elsewhere, I’m delighted that third-party navigation app are now available. And for those few people where Google Maps is in fact better (or Waze, to name a better example) than what Apple Maps offers (this perception was true once, but now it’s more myth than reality IMO — Google Maps has gotten me lost plenty of times!), it’s great that they have the option.

Rob53’s point about waypoints is certainly a true advantage, though I find I just say “hey Siri, directions to [destination 1]” and then ask Siri for directions to the second destination [et al], so I haven’t missed waypoints. It would be nice for Apple can add that feature in the future, but “adjusting routes” is a thing already built into Apple Maps now. When asking for a given destination, the Maps app usually offers me at least two options on how to go — and of course if I choose to veer off the selected route (say, due to traffic) and join the other route, Maps just recalculates and eventually puts me on the other path. In my case, if I need to go seriously off-route because of a problem, I generally call up Waze and have it give me an alternative.

I used Apple maps for quite sometime but finally switched back to Google maps when I found it to be more accurate on average than Apple maps in my experience. Much better was google suggesting alternative routes, while Apple maps would just add the time to the commute and not offer other routes. It actually got to the point where I would pull up google when I noticed my ETA went up a great deal with no reason. As I got close to the traffic, google suggested other routes. So it became worthless to use two apps. Maybe the experience has gotten better in the last two years but it takes a long time to regain my trust. I only use GPS on long distance traveling or to look out for wrecks. 

Apple maps has improved massively over the last 2 years, so your comment is pretty outdated. Not sure why you took the time to type it out if you haven't used Apple maps for 2 years. It now routinely offers alternate routes based on live conditions. Based on heavily using the two everyday, I actually think Apple Maps is superior for navigation, while Google Maps has a slight edge when it comes to POIs, etc. 
    For all the US readers here a little tidbit worth remembering: there’s more world than the US out there! With all the improvements of Apple Maps it is 2018 and you still cannot get Apple Maps to route from point A to point B in Peru. And I’m not talking some wild place in the rain forest. I’m talking in the capital, Lima with more than 12 million people driving like crazy. 
    So, yes, Google Maps on CarPlay is a blessing. 
    muthuk_vanalingamxyzzy01
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Does anyone know how to re-center the current position in CarPlay Google Maps once you have moved the map around?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Apple’s Maps app is pretty good these days, but 9 out of 10 times I’ll use Waze instead because the other live driver data is invaluable for avoiding traffic jams, hidden police vehicles (speed traps) and obstacles on the road.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    xyzzy01 said:
    For me personally, I think Apple Maps look so much better compared to Google Maps. On Apple Maps, all the houses and buildings are in 3D in my area and that looks way more aesthetically pleasing on the eye compared to Google Maps. One big pet peeve of mine on Google Maps is the lack of labeling on bodies of water. While trying out Google Maps in CarPlay this afternoon, I drove over a river and next to a lake. Neither were labeled. On Apple Maps, they are. There is a setting to show speed limits, but so far, I haven't seen any while use Google Maps in CarPlay. Apple Maps shows speed limits on all the roads where I live. 

Apple Maps' capabilities varies by location.  Driving in Norway and Sweden, I've yet to see anything 3D. I don't think I miss it, though. No speed limits either. And while the POI database of Apple Maps is orders of magnitude better than when it was launched, it's still far behind Google's offering.

For non-Carplay purposes, I could also add that Google maps shows public transport, while Apple maps doesn't support this.

From my limited testing yesterday, Google maps was also much better at interpreting spoken addresses than Apple Maps via Siri.
    I actually was in Norway and Sweden this summer doing a road trip around Scandinavia. I was surprised cities like Oslo didn't have 3D buildings. For most of the trip, I was using Sygic because it has offline maps and it shows speed cameras. Norway is pretty hard core with the speeding fines. There were a few instances where Apple Maps actually had the correct directions and Google Maps was wrong while I was trying to find Airbnb places I rented. 

I definitely agree regarding POI's. Apple Maps is lacking in that part of the world. I could be wrong but I could have sworn Apple Maps showed speed limits while driving around in Alesund. 
  • Reply 27 of 28
    BMW already has wireless CarPlay. I'm assuming some other manufacturers are offering that as well?
    Volvo offers it too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    eightzero said:
    While I might not use this over Apple Maps, choices are good, and might encourage more investment by car manufacturers to support CarPlay, including one day, I hope, wireless carplay. 
    xyzzy01 said:

Apple Maps' capabilities varies by location.  Driving in Norway and Sweden, I've yet to see anything 3D. I don't think I miss it, though. No speed limits either. And while the POI database of Apple Maps is orders of magnitude better than when it was launched, it's still far behind Google's offering.

For non-Carplay purposes, I could also add that Google maps shows public transport, while Apple maps doesn't support this.

From my limited testing yesterday, Google maps was also much better at interpreting spoken addresses than Apple Maps via Siri.
    I might try Google maps.   I was just driving around Martha's Vinyard and AppleMaps seemed to not know it as well as it could. It was wrong on a couple of roundabouts as to the correct exit. It's always good to have an alternative.  

Non-wireless CarPlay in 2018 seems ludicrous, I agree.  I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX and love it.  My iPhone just has to in my pocket, not even on.  Get in the vehicle, start it and it all just works.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra